SAU Community

Blaupunkt New York 800 Or Clarion Vx401a

iseekool

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new multimedia HU. Sat Nav is a "nice to have", but not essential as I already have a portable sat nav.

I have an R34 currently running the stock Matsushita CD/Tape/Radio double din.

After much searching there are two multimedia HU that I like, which seem to be good value/performance/asthetics. I'm not a fan of fancy looking HU - The more stock looking the better IMO.

I'll be running the stock speakers for now.

Blaupunkt New York 800 (has everything)

Clarion VX401A (has everything except sat nav)

Right now I'm leaning towards the VX401A for value, but I'd like to know - Is it worth spending the extra cash on the Blaupunkt?

The Blaupunkt "seems" to be a better unit overall and has 22WRMS per channel compared to the Clarion's 18WRMS per channel.

How do they compare sound quality wise?

I noticed the prices differ quite greatly from different countries. Is it possible to just buy a unit online (overseas model) and have the maps changed for Australia in the case of the Blaupunkt.

And any retailers for the Blaupunkt New york 800 as well as the Clarion VX401A - the usual places don't seem to stock them (or know of them).

Any suggestions or advice is welcome. :)

I will do a shameless plug and say that we stock Blaupunkt and will have the New York in stock very shortly. With Australian maps

For a unit with NAV it is great value.

You are right about the Clarion, I could not find it anywhere??

Send me a PM if you would like more info

Simon

I have the Clarion VZ400A, which is the single DIN version of last year's model, and it's really quite good.

There are two issues with it that I haven't been able to resolve with Clarion though:

• If an iPod is connected to the USB input, I can't select AV-IN (my HDTV tuner)
  • If I try to play a video on the iPod it plays the audio from the iPod video, and the video from AV-IN

Other than that, which I'm hoping to resolve soon, it's a great unit. In terms of looks, it doesn't stand out at all, and it does everything fine. Bought it from Autobarn, although their after sales support is terrible if you don't get them to install it. Was also cheap, and sounds pretty good.

another blau retailer here. forget buying overseas. the maps/mapping engine is different.

also sell clarion and I would go blau over clarion.

simon,

hope you reserved a couple. rumor is the first batch are all gone.

Thanks guys.

I ended up getting the Blaupunkt New York 800 non-sat nav version from Germany.

Got it for just a little over ~$600.00AUD - Price is close to the Clarion VX401A

Now I wait.

Any of you guys sell the Nissan (R34) to Blaupunkt adaptors and antenna plug converters? I think the Nissan antenna plug has 2 prongs.

Thanks guys.

I ended up getting the Blaupunkt New York 800 non-sat nav version from Germany.

Got it for just a little over ~$600.00AUD - Price is close to the Clarion VX401A

Now I wait.

Any of you guys sell the Nissan (R34) to Blaupunkt adaptors and antenna plug converters? I think the Nissan antenna plug has 2 prongs.

Diversity plugs for antenna, can be found at just about any car audio shop, think jaycar has them too or use Simon or Chris from here ?

Blaupunkt adapters ? you mean wiring harness to link the radio to the car ? buy one from above , or use a pro installer to do it right the fist time, R34 airbags pop out in your head/face and computers fry if you go probing the wrong wires

Diversity plugs for antenna, can be found at just about any car audio shop, think jaycar has them too or use Simon or Chris from here ?

Blaupunkt adapters ? you mean wiring harness to link the radio to the car ? buy one from above , or use a pro installer to do it right the fist time, R34 airbags pop out in your head/face and computers fry if you go probing the wrong wires

For me it's a direct swap - old unit out, new unit in with the harness adaptors. I had no idea that the HU swap could cause the above to happen. :unsure:

Learn something new everyday.....

yep. bit of a waste though when you can go down the road and buy the same thing for $12..

Cheers - thanks Chris. Thats exactly what I'm going to do - Just making sure its the correct part, due to some auto retailers having "no clue" if I asked the same question :P

One other question regarding the connection to the hand brake (image attached) - I want to bypass this "lock out" as I'll have passengers watching while I drive.

If read the diagram correct it seems the green wire just needs to be grounded in order to bypass the hand brake lock out? Or does it need a +12V feed?

post-41585-0-05240000-1317728462_thumb.jpg