SAU Community

Intercooler Upgrade - Pwr

Waxhead

I have just bought a new PWR intercooler to install on my R32 GTR. if I install the new intercooler, given that it has slightly higher volume (I think) than the standard GTR intercooler, would it be safe to drive without a retune, or would a retune be required straight away??

Thanks for your help

The difference will be negligible, I wouldn't worry about it.

What power are you chasing? The stock cooler seems to do a decent job.

If you are going to run it up on the dyno, back to back testing between the two cores would be nice to see.

+2 a mate has a PWR on his R33 GTR and his tuner at AVO thinks he will gain 40+kw by changing it out for another brand because it is a restriction in the system. 29psi was only seeing 370kw from twin HKS 2835

Does the outlet look like the one below?

The top intercooler is for an R32 GTR from PWR. The bottom is an R32 GTR intercooler. One of these things is not like the other.

My question is this: Have the muppets at PWR fixed their drawings so their cooler actually fit now?

post-5134-0-31288400-1317352753_thumb.jpg

Does the outlet look like the one below?

The top intercooler is for an R32 GTR from PWR. The bottom is an R32 GTR intercooler. One of these things is not like the other.

My question is this: Have the muppets at PWR fixed their drawings so their cooler actually fit now?

Mine sort of looks half way between the two shown in your picture. The PWR inlet/outlet doesn't seem to point down as much as the original GTR cooler, but hopefully the mounting brackets are located at slightly different angles to offset this.

Did you bother installing yours or did you just send it back?? If you mounted it, what did you have to modify to get it to fit properly?? And if installed ,did you need a re-tune??

What sort of power are you making out of your R32 GTR? If its highly modded and making big power then I would definitely want to get the tune updated to get the most out of the cooler change (assuming the standard one is a restriction).

If its only lightly modded then yeah dont worry about a retune, but I wouldnt worry about the cooler either. The standard gtr cooler is fine for big power 350kw etc.

Mine sort of looks half way between the two shown in your picture. The PWR inlet/outlet doesn't seem to point down as much as the original GTR cooler, but hopefully the mounting brackets are located at slightly different angles to offset this.

Did you bother installing yours or did you just send it back?? If you mounted it, what did you have to modify to get it to fit properly?? And if installed ,did you need a re-tune??

Well it may fit. Just check it as best you can before you start ripping parts off the car.

I had mine fixed locally and installed. That invovled cutting off the inlet pipe & rewelding it in the correct position. As far as I can remember PWR "warranty" does not include freight and as they are in Queensland and I am not it would have taken weeks to get them to fix it. Ignoring the fact that I no longer had any confidence in their ability to get anything right.

Had a bunch of other things done at that time so the car got a retune anyway. You shouldnt need one.

Can you post a pic?

As an aside is there anyobne who does a decent 3" thick tube & fin intercooler for an R32?

+2 a mate has a PWR on his R33 GTR and his tuner at AVO thinks he will gain 40+kw by changing it out for another brand because it is a restriction in the system. 29psi was only seeing 370kw from twin HKS 2835

*Raises eyebrow*. Thats a REALLY poor result!

Well it may fit. Just check it as best you can before you start ripping parts off the car.

I had mine fixed locally and installed. That invovled cutting off the inlet pipe & rewelding it in the correct position. As far as I can remember PWR "warranty" does not include freight and as they are in Queensland and I am not it would have taken weeks to get them to fix it. Ignoring the fact that I no longer had any confidence in their ability to get anything right.

Had a bunch of other things done at that time so the car got a retune anyway. You shouldnt need one.

Can you post a pic?

As an aside is there anyobne who does a decent 3" thick tube & fin intercooler for an R32?

TRUST ?

Not the first time this has appeared over the years.

stock GTR core for 400rwkw = win.

interested to see the results as i never tested mine back to back. and if they work anywhere near as good as they look, youre gonna be very happy. my core looked amazing, i have had hi quality coolers b4 but this looked really tech.

i had my cooler changed from std r34 GTR (60mm) to a 70mm ARC core and it made no difference at 350kw

the only real diference was that it would pull 350 for three consecutive runs, so it took a little longer for heatsoak to set it. but as far as power difference there was none.

a bigger/better cooler will only come into play when repeating runs on a dyno because it might stay cooler for longer?

just letting you know my experiences.