SAU Community

Importing A Kei Car

mickey

I was looking at what it takes to import a Kei car. Sorry if this has been covered in another topic but I couldn't find anything general.

Essentially I've looked at the SEVS register but have no idea which cars (if any) constitute a kei car. Looking for something that is 660cc turbo or thereabouts (I know 1L is not a Kei car but am willing to go up to that much but it has to be turbo).

Can anyone direct me as to the availability/price of getting something that fits the bill? Cappucino's are hard to find, otherwise I'm stuck thinking about a Copen...and I don't really want a convertible I prefer a practical mini. I prefer something late model and reliable as a bunky.

cheers!

I've been sniffing around Daihatsus a bit lately, because any of them are eligible under SEVS.

Chris is right, Kei cars traditionally never had to meet normal crash testing requirements in Japan, which made them virtually impossible to bring here under SEVS, but that has changed in recent year with car manufacturers building and testing them like regular cars (even if the Japanese govt treats them lik oversized motorbikes).

But the short term answer is no, there's not much to choose from available through SEVS currently.

best option, try and find something built in 1988 or earlier and bring it in under pre=89 rule. not sure what if any good models are available in that timeframe.

otherwise if you want a kei car with a tiny turbo engine... buy a smart for two (older ones are turbo, newer model is NA but more powerful standard). also have 5 speed semi-manual box and if you get bored of the pezzy stock turbo engine then you can slap in a GSXR1000 motor and 6 speed box for 180hp in a tiny little car. :)

it's what I'm doing. end result is something like this:

I've been sniffing around Daihatsus a bit lately, because any of them are eligible under SEVS.

Chris is right, Kei cars traditionally never had to meet normal crash testing requirements in Japan, which made them virtually impossible to bring here under SEVS, but that has changed in recent year with car manufacturers building and testing them like regular cars (even if the Japanese govt treats them lik oversized motorbikes).

But the short term answer is no, there's not much to choose from available through SEVS currently.

Didn't we look into a pre-89 Suzuki Alto Works not long ago? That would be my pick, AWD and tubo. If I had the cash I'd buy one in a sec.

Lachlan - if you get it at current bid price, 70,000¥

Then allow fob fees, broker, shipping gst tax quarantine etc

Looking at about 7 grand landed and "complied"