SAU Community

The 'someone Help Me' Thread

Matty Sherlock

thanks steve and luke.. we left it idling in the driveway for about an hour once first started up, and drove it gingerly for the 5 k's , but you still think the squealing is because we didnt prime them and the turbos are stuffed because of a split second without oil??

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its very hard to tell

But a mate of mine had a new Turbo put on his r31 and the mechanic didn't prime and it had to come off a few months later, not even sure if it lasted that long

When Horsepower In A Box and I did my new turbo we didn't prime it and it's fine.

every turbo ive ever installed or seen installed has always been primed with oil before hand.

sorry for the blatant obvious, but maybe let a mechanic have a look at it before you go pulling a turbo off again........possibly needlessly

What area are you in? There's always a decent workshop nearby.

+1

But also, can't leaky exhaust manifold gaskets make a car squeal under load? Thinking of cars I've heard around Malalla/Winton here.

Yup, mine has howling/squealing like a banshee at the October track day last year when the engine gave way, and it was due to a gasket on the turbo spacer blowing out.

Cheers guys !! Sled it's getting looked at right now, but the owner is a mechanic and we had another mechanic look at it last night, it could quite possibly be the exhaust manifold gaskets as when the new turbos were put on the old manifold gaskets weren't replaced (all other gaskets were though)

Cheers guys !! Sled it's getting looked at right now, but the owner is a mechanic and we had another mechanic look at it last night, it could quite possibly be the exhaust manifold gaskets as when the new turbos were put on the old manifold gaskets weren't replaced (all other gaskets were though)

Hopefully thats what it is, I dont reuse gaskets ever, unless they are like just the joins in the exhaust or something, every time the turbo or the manifold comes off the motor its treated to new gaskets.

I think the gasket kit for the turbos didn't come with one for obvious reasons but I just think it was overlooked because of that reason. not exactly sure. and there's a lot of burning coming off the turbos as in smoke, would that just be due to touching every part numerous times with oily hands and it's simply just burning off??

Use the genuine Nissan turbo gaskets, a lot better then the aftermarkets, I have used the Garrett ones on mine and the Nissan ones are far better.

Also, did you reuse the copper washers or use new ones?

is there anything to do with a plug on the turbo? a drain of some sort that your meant to unplug?? or does this ring any bells for anything that might make more sense to you guys?

Hi pitch squeal, look at the induction side of the turbo's, the y piece between the turbos may be loose or gasket leaking you should be looking for a boost leak through a very small orifice had this on mine before.

Hope it helps

Devo

Hopefully thats what it is, I dont reuse gaskets ever, unless they are like just the joins in the exhaust or something, every time the turbo or the manifold comes off the motor its treated to new gaskets.

Word. Get the OEM VRK (?) set and you'll get every gasket that you need, to nissan spec. If its good enough for nissan, 99% its good for every other dude out there... only non nissan gasket I got is the cometic MLS 1.3mm head gasket....

I even have gaskets left over I reckon I'll eventually use - won't have to pay for the individual component when the 20 year old oem eventually gives way

-D

Word. Get the OEM VRK (?) set and you'll get every gasket that you need, to nissan spec. If its good enough for nissan, 99% its good for every other dude out there... only non nissan gasket I got is the cometic MLS 1.3mm head gasket....

I even have gaskets left over I reckon I'll eventually use - won't have to pay for the individual component when the 20 year old oem eventually gives way

-D

you thinking of a VRS kit mang?

Edited by DamageInc