SAU Community

Rb30 Identification

scr33min'

Ok, sorry for such a n00b basic question, but I couldnt figure this for the life of me.

Is there a way to identify an RB30 block without actually removing the engine from the car?

Mate just bought an R32 and has suspicions that theres an RB30 block under the 25 head.

Is there a code or something that we can look for?

Ive had a look around and all Ive found is 75T written on the passenger side.

Any help is much appreciated guys :thumbsup:

Is the car NA? The RB25 head in a 32 with a turbo is a sign of things being a bit "special"! There are lots of clues if you know what to look for, but mad082 is right, look at the engine number, it will start with RB30#####.

on the passenger side of the block right at the bottom where one of the gearbox bolts goes into theres a small machined surface, clean it off and it'll have rb30 stamped on it if is one.

other giveaways would be a gap between the top and bottom timing cover, grinder marks around the bottom of the exhaust manifold near the block and clearance issues.

Ok cheers guys Ill get him to take a look near the gearbox. :cheers:

I did notice a small machined surface close the the gearbox, but it was covered in dirt and crap so thats probably why we didnt notice anything.

It is turbo with greddy intake to solve bonnet clearance which is why we thing the rb30 is in it, and has the heatshield over the exhaust manifold so we cant see anything unless we take it off.

The guy he bought it off had no idea about cars, so was only going off what the previous owner had told him. Apparently there was an rb30 in it, or maybe still is. When he bought it it had a fairly beefy fuel system, custom exhaust and intercooler piping. and thats a bit extreme for a "stock rb25" as the guy thought it was. Seems a bit odd that the previous owner would take the rb30 out, put a 25 in, and fabricate custom piping for it?

Unless he blew it up or something :(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I think the pic in the first post is another car, and post 7 is OP's car with standard arms and swaybar swaybar swaybar. I can't tell what brand the silver coilovers are, and even if I could I don't know whether the spring rate is OK, if you can find a brand on the shocks and numbers on the springs that might help. Also, if you can measure the ride height from centre of your wheel to the guard that will help with advice too as handling suffers if ride height is too low
    • sadly, pics no work. that car must have spent a lot of time in a cryo bubble
    • In the first photo you posted, the colour of the control arms are the signature colour for Ikeya. Same for the swaybar, signature colour for Whiteline.  I like Hardrace, they also do hardened rubber bushes if your car is mainly a street car.  I like GKTech as well, but they use a lot of rose joints in their stuff so might not be the best choice for everyone.  The system might have been good back in its day, but it's a prehistoric system now. I suspect that most people have removed the HICAS as they want the car to do what they want to do, not what the car wants to do. From what I also understand, it isn't consistent in it's behaviour on track so it's hard to trust the car/know where its absolute limits are for track use.  Having said that, I think the HICAS eliminator kit was the first thing I installed when I bought my car. I don't personally have any experience with the HICAS system on a race track.  
    • Thanks for the info. Didn’t know I had aftermarket control arms already? Will talk to my garage. What brand would u recommend if I want to play around with my camber more? I would think my camber is around stock level right now or more negative now due to lowering with coilovers. I will be lower her again 1.5 cm to get some more.    also why does everyone like to remove the hicas system? Is it because most don’t work properly anymore or ppl just don’t like them. Mine is functioning as it should be right now.    thanks for the good info 
    • It looks like you've got Ikeya control arms and an aftermarket sway bar, maybe whiteline?  Or am I just going crazy? lol Unfortunately it won't, but what it will do is look really pretty. That's about all unfortunately.  How much neg camber do you currently have? Generally lowing the car dials in quite a bit of neg camber as it is. If you do go down this path, your best bet is get adjustable arms, toe arms (or preferably a good HICAS elimination kit) and traction rods. With all 3 being adjustable, you'll be able to dial out any bump steer that is introduced by playing with the camber settings.