SAU Community

Roil Results

Ok let me clear up the concept of lag for you then. If the turbo spools at 3500rpm that is the result of the selection and matching of compressor and other components in the turbo to what ever engine it is mated to. One of the advantages of a ballbearing design over a plain bearing turbo is the speed at which the turbo can spool, this is not a difference in lag but, rather the response time. The time taken in seconds or fraction of seconds to reach sufficient shaft speed to produce maximum boost.

So.. the reason I ask that you put aside people telling you that the turbo has less lag is because they are not experiencing less lag but, more likely better response. Which is a very good thing too. I would like to see you succeed rather than fail to convince people of the benifits of roil. Quoting from people who don't really know the difference between lag and response is not going to help as much as getting the terminolgy right and doing some propper timed experiments.

To test the difference in response time you can add a time log to a power run on the dyno. I'm sure with quite a few people experiencing more response the difference will show up well.

It's quite important to get the response claim validated because even if horsepower wasn't increased the increase in response alone is well worth the investment. Its like testing a lightweight flywheel , no power increase but, the increased response drives the acceleration figures.

just some helpfull input.:)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ska did a good job of keeping a diary, but (and no offence) seems like he's a noob like most of us here (including me)....

Yupp I certainly am, I do not pretend or profess to know much about my beautiful car :)

i wanna see what Steve says.

He's a more noted member, and in my eyes his opinion goes a bit further as he knows what he's talking about - to an extent  :P

Yeah I am curious to see the results of others too, esp those who will have thier opinions better repected.

Ska,

Have you noticed a decrease in fuel consumption?

Well maybe a little bit, but through the testing I did not notice a considerable increase or decrease in fuel consumption.

Here's a couple of gearbox specific stories I've had for a while... I don't except you guys to beleive them, but they're there all the same.... I'd love to get some Skyline ones though.....

Vern Ward Interstate Carrying Company

"No More Leaking Seals!"

"SCANIA - gearbox smooth change even on the coldest morning!"

Vern Ward has been in the Interstate Car Carrying business since 1983 and at present has 4 trucks and trailers each doing over 125,000 miles per year.  Vern says "I first started using ROIL because I'd heard others were solving a common problem with Scania gearboxes that run tight and stiff in cold weather until they warm up.  We had no more problems after adding the ROIL in early 1998."

POINTS OF INTEREST VERN SHARED:

Brake shoe replacement is 100,000 to 110,000 miles on the New England Highway because of long hills. But prior to using ROIL, servicing was being brought forward because of leaking seals. Since adding Roil we now only do standard servicing when we change our brake shoe pads. Eliminating this down time adds up to thousands of dollars in savings each year.

Vern Ward  

Automatic transmission improved with ROIL!

"ROIL has improved the performance of my car and saved me thousands of dollars - what a fantastic product!"

For several years now my Honda Accord's automatic transmission has been less than perfect. I've had to drive it in D3 range because the transmission was slipping. Fortunately someone recommended I try the ROIL automatic transmission additive - the next day I was absolutely amazed! I started my car and drove off in D4 and it has not slipped again since adding Roil.

Maria Papanikolaou

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but isn't rev210's explanation of the difference between responce and lag backwards?

I used to think " lag " was when lets say your turbo produces useable boost at say 4500rpm, I would say that turbo has heaps of " lag ". ( indeed it might have )

But I was corrected more than once buy different knowledgeable people that in fact " lag " is in fact the turbos responce time not the turbos operating rpm.

For example, your turbo can make useable boost pressure at 3,000rpm, so lets say your driving at 4,000rpm and decide to mash the throttle, " lag " is the time taken for the turbo to spool up and start making good boost.

rev210 said this is not " lag " but in fact " responce "

From what I have learned they are both the same thing.

FATGTS-R hides under his flameproof keyboard for cover!

non laggy turbo = makes boost at 1500rpm (give this example in refference to an RB25det and I'm sure no one will reffer to this turbo plain bearing or otherwise as 'laggy').

laggy turbo = makes boost at 6500rpm on the same engine.

take the 6500rpm spooling turbo, we have two kinds a plain bearing unit and a ballbearing unit. BOTH are laggy compared to the 2000rpm spooling units disscussed, they will both make boost at 6500rpm.

the response of the turbo, also closely tied to the volume of air and restriction between it and the motor, is much the same concept used to reffer to engine response generally. For example of lightening the factory flywheel. This will have an effect on the time taken to spool the turbo, thanks to the engine reving faster.

I can understand why people might use the terms interchangably al the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can only report good things.

It took a good 300-400kms before I noticed a difference, at first I was very sceptical, and thought perhaps the differences were due to weather changes (getting cooler). Now, after 750 (approx) kms, I can say with confidence, that its not the weather - having experieced warmer days as well as cooler mornings, traffic jams and open winding roads.

My car is daily driven, and gets the odd spirited drive throught twisty bits. To quantify the results, I dont have back to back dynos, but here is what I found from the driver's seat:

Off boost torque is greatly improved - the car is running smoother.

before using roil, I was unable to shift to 4th gear before around 63-65kmh, as the engine laboured enough that I didnt feel comfortable, 5th gear was only for use above 75khm in a straight line (higher if going up inclines or hills of course). I think this is partly due to running aftermarket cams and a decompressed engine. Overall, the engine runs alot smoother.

Now I find that I can drive in 4th gear at 50kmh no probs , even accelerate up an incline. 5th gear is ok from around 65kmh.

Boost comes in earlier.

I am now getting 1lb of boost at around 2200rpm, and 5psi at 3000rpm. Previously, I was getting 3psi at 3000rpm. This is for 3rd gear. 1bar is now reached approx (very hard to guage exactly, as boost tends to hit hard by this stage, so I guaged it using my Power fc peak hold) 2-300rpm earlier. It was easier to guage what boost was doing at the lower pressures (safer:p)

Another thing I have noticed, and I am not sure if this is related or not - it has me a bit confused - knock is actually down marginally???? before using roil, it would peak to around 36-38 regularly. I havent seen it go above 27 for a while now, but am unsure what this would be? This is driving on warmer days, and cooler days, thrashing and taking it easy. Anyone have any thoughts?

My car is just so much nicer to drive - I am very happy with the results and would recommend anyone give this stuff a go, for both power and driveability. I definately will be using it again, thanks Jetpilot.

Im also very interested in the Gearbox Review.

If I may add my experience. I added Roil Treatment - Super Glide FC (Green Label bottle) to my Integra Type R gear box 6 yrs back. I cant say I did notice any difference. But what Im not sure about is why the box broke after about a year. I was amazed when it happened. II have another bottle in my garage that I have been wanting to put in the GTR but afraid to.

On a similar note, even something like SLICK 50 with all the testemonials and so called facts... sold in most Auto shops are meant to be bad. So who do u believe?

I got a hold of some so I'll try it in my next service.

After doing a bit of reading it seems that this stuff is not so different to the concept Castrol has in their Magnatec oils. I'm no chemist but I'm guessing its a similar sort of thing...

Thanks Steve...

ferni, Roil only needs a full treatment to begin with, and then top ups after every second or third oil change.

N/A, I'll be the first to admit that Neways originally had problems with the Super Glide FC. Originally they had three different Roil products for use in oil, the lower engine treatment was brilliant whilst the Super Glide was rather average. Since then, about 2 years ago Neways brought out Roil Gold, which replaced all three of the other products and was GREATLY improved, that's what the guys have been trialling now... for that reason I've got no quams about recommending Roil Gold for the gearbox as in those two years we've had nothing but glowing reports, most notibally Russell White Formula Vee Race Car, and the hubs on Brett Peter's Class Winning WRX racecar at the 2002 Bathurst 24hr. Only weeks before the event someone suggested they try Roil, they were skeptical and refused to use it in their engine and gearbox, so they tried it in the hubs which from testing they expected to have to replace 3 times during the race. They went on to do the entire distance, plus two further race meetings on the same hubs!

Also Russell White is an instructor at the Holden Performance Driving Centre and last week informed me that both that centre and the WRX Experience on the Gold Coast have used Roil for quite some time now....

Guys I'll put it to you this way... by jumping onto a forum in which i knew nobody, and trying to promote a product that i knew would be bombarded with skeptics, and then giving out free sample products to you guys to test and report on, if Roil didn't work i had nothing to gain and absolutely everything to lose. My reputation, Neways' reputation, and that of Roil itself.... and that's not a risk i would've taken if i didn't have 150% faith in my product and its ability to work under all circumstances... and like Steve and Ska's reports prove... nothing but good news...

Try it... give it a go... don't judge it until you have... and hey... I'm still going to donate $5 from every bottle to Prank and the Skyline Forum...

Jetpilot, you promote this product by saying that

"It also got Mick Atholwood and Roy Smith across the finish line of the 2000 Australian Drag Racing Championship final... with no oil in the engine... yet still managed to win with a time of 5.7sec!!!

But you also quote that it takes a few hundred kms to work. Now these motors do one maybe two runs before being pulled down and rebuilt. So are you saying that in this special case that the roil oil worked within the time the first start up and the burnout, or once the oil is added to the motor its properties are there for good?

Plus to lose all the engine oil there must have been a problem (major) and a major oil down. Either way, the car wouldnt have run that fast. Let alone the motor holding togethor.

Forgive my bluntness.

Mick and Roy soak litterally all their parts in Roil during their engine rebuilds. And yep there was a major problem, the oil cooler shat itself and splated oil everywhere... knowing that everything was protected by Roil they continued on, and beleive me they did run a 5.7 with no oil... Australian Dragster Magazine has on quote that they beleived that Roil got them across the finish line as their were interviewed imediately after the run...

As for castrol magnatec, i'm no scientist either, and as such i leave claims up to the experts, and this is what the Queensland University of Technology found when they tested Roil against other products and additives....

9479Falex_Results.jpg

All three Roil samples exceeded the machines capability to test lubricants as it was never expected to have to test such high extremes... 4500lbs+... who knows how far it would've gone?

JetPilot, good thing you told me about the FC Glide.. I have a bottle sitting right next to my PC now. Better throw it away.

If you like, I would love to try the GOLD in my car. Ill put up an unbiassed report as well. More of a concern i think is if it will do anything to my gearbox. I currently use REDLINE Shockprove. Meant to be really good for my box. But who knows..

If you would like to try it out on a GTR, let me know.

Im sure if it saves a gtr box and helps with the shifting, every gtr owner will be wanting one.

Anything that will prolong my GTR gearbox's life, I'll be in for that.

Seems like this "Very Special Additive" is serving our members well so far... I'd like to see some gearbox reports from our members if that's possible.

So are we supposed to be adding this Roil Gold to engine AND gearbox? Same product used in both applications?