SAU Community

The Quitting Smoking Thread

On Edge

There are many of us who wish to kick the habit of cigarettes. Apart from these I have everything else in regards to health in check.

Smoking certainly overshadows everything good you do( an I do).

So......

Let's talk smoking, share our quitting progress an success stories from the past, an motivated each other for Success!!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hypnotherapy Vs Nicotine 'n Habit

1) the patient needs to be motivated & for the right reason

2) I explain how it works; and that we treat physical withdrawal with dopamine support whilst hypnosis negates the craving thru any of 5 methods

3) 1st hypnosis deals with craving & I help the client hypnotize himself; not me doing it to the client

4) 2nd hypnosis eradicates desire/want/temptation

5) 3rd and last hypnosis breaks up the link between nicotine and stress.

6) cost of each session is $99

Not Hard

* prior to sessions and after, I recommend no alcohol & reduced caffeine

* l-tyrosine is the precursor of dopamine to stop moodiness/down feelings ie physical withdrawal

* anyone who gets involved in movies or books can reach hypnosis - but people with ADD have difficulty

* wrong motivation eg doing it because she/he wants you to

* right motivation eg health, fitness, mental control back, family, pregnancy & $$$

* success rate can change from year to year but generally it's over 80% in age group of 20-55. It drops above or below that figure for different reasons

PS Sept 2011 became my 40th year in practice

Actually about to go to the ASCH annual general meeting. That's the professional body that you look out for after the practitioner's name

Cold t u r k e y! :thumbsup:

Worked for me!

I have not had one for over 2 years after smoking for 18years.

Not for every one, it takes I lot of will power, the 1st3 to 4 weeks was the hardest I almost caved in so many time during that time,but after that it gets easier.

I have no desire to ever smoke again.

Which ever way you choose if you want to give up you will,just stick with it.

Edited by pfcr33

The first few weeks was hell for me - i had the shortest fuse in the world! I had to stay away from people lol My brain new if it got me really really angry - I would need a smoke (nicotine hit) to calm down! I just got right back into training and basically stuck to myself for about a month. Eventually the cravings disappeared and I haven't had a smoke for 4 years now. In saying that I was only a full on smoker for about 3 years. Before than I was just a social smoker (thats how I got hooked). I actually started saving the money that I would had normally bought smokes with - after close to a year I had saved over $3000!!

Cold t u r k e y! :thumbsup:

Worked for me!

I have not had one for over 2 years after smoking for 18years.

Not for every one, it takes I lot of will power, the 1st3 to 4 weeks was the hardest I almost caved in so many time during that time,but after that it gets easier.

I have no desire to ever smoke again.

Which ever way you choose if you want to give up you will,just stick with it.

Edited by Majestic

i could've bought an extra hicas lock bar this week if i didnt smoke lol

Has anyone had any experience with champix tablets? i've heard they DO work but can have harsh side effects on some people

I suppose like anyway of quitting Terry, you still need the motivation to stick with it, otherwise you have no hope!

The biggest problem for me is that a large percentage (50-60%) of people at my workplace are heavy smokers...including immediate and senior supervisors who issue adequate breaks for smokers...the durries need to go!

1st paragraph:- you're absolutely right.

2nd paragraph:- depends on whether you can see yourself as a fashion setter rather than a fashion follower. I had a truckie recently quit ie from over 100/day to zip. He's surrounded by smokers at truck stops.

just about my whole family smokes, i personally hate smokes have tried them a few times and i can understand how addictive they are i consider nicotine addiction to similar to a hard drug addiction but on a much smaller scale. in my mind to quit smoking you need to have strong will power and supplement smoking cigis for tiers

Edited by Greekos

just about my whole family smokes, i personally hate smokes have tried them a few times and i can understand how addictive they are i consider nicotine addiction to similar to a hard drug addiction but on a much smaller scale. in my mind to quit smoking you need to have strong will power and supplement smoking cigis for tiers

Trouble is...

Willpower is "Conscious"

Whereas, Habit is "Subconscious"

Therefore, Hypnosis being "Subconscious" as well, has a better chance.

Especially when Tobacco companies insert a substance (amongst many) in cigarettes called Ammonia.

What Ammonia does is that it creates an instantaneous reaction with Nicotine as it passes through the filter.

Reason? The Ammonium salt makes the nicotine more addictive on the human.

Spin? The tobacco companies try and tell you that the Ammonia helps the cleansing action in the filter = BS

Want a layman's check? Look and listen to the film called "The Insider" played by our Russell Crowe

If you must use Willpower, snip off the filter eh?

Willpower works better if a) you're under the weather with a cold/flu b) it's your very first attempt (ie autosuggestion) c) you're shocked into quitting by a surgeon who reads out the riot act.

By the second attempt, success is 30x harder eh? That's because the seed of doubt has been sown. And that's suggestive.

i could've bought an extra hicas lock bar this week if i didnt smoke lol

Has anyone had any experience with champix tablets? i've heard they DO work but can have harsh side effects on some people

Champix is truly amazing but can come with some side affects if the dosage is not tailored to your habit.

The thing to know about Champix is that there is the standard,generic dosage and then there's your required dosage (determined by how much you smoke per day and how long you've been smoking). I personally have smoked about 8 a day for 4 years and after 3 days on the 1/4 dosage (first two weeks you take a 1/4 dosage to be sure your body doesnt freak out) I had stopped smoking completely and didn't have a craving or a side affect to speak of.

Stupidly, I then followed the instructions on the pack and jumped onto a full dose which, after 2 months, started to give me heart palpatations and head pulses. This was quite disconcerting and caused me to stop taking the drug. I think I probably could have just gone without from this point but I sort of convinced myself at the time that I needed Champix in order not to smoke and subsequently went back to smoking.

This Friday I'm starting champix again but will be taking 1/4 doses per day until they are used up and then 1 full dose tablet every 2-3 days. Just so you know, it was a week after I had stopped taking Champix that I had a craving for a cigarette which shows how it builds up in your system.

So I guess if you smoke a 25 pack a day and have been doing so for a number of years, the standard dosage would be good and you would probably not stop smoking completely until the start of the full dosage (as the instructions state). If you smoke less then you should definitely moderate the full doses and up it as required.

This is by no means to be taken as medical advice, it is purely my take on Champix.

Edited by EXEMPT

I used champix, twice, first time I didn't finish the whole course, second time I did, still want to smoke, I've had a few over the last year, smoking is the devil.

Smoking is for mugs, for your money and health all you get in return is smelling like arse, no lung function and numerous diseases, its a addictive drug just like heroin.

I haven't had a ciggy for months but even now talking about it I feel like one.

Smoking isn't the devil, its the grim reaper.

Drugs are bad OK

Good on you for giving it a go, don't give up on giving up the cigs! :thumbsup:

I've been smoke free for almost 4 years, quit cold the sphincter of the universe & never looked back