SAU Community

Headlights

Bought new nissan side repeaters for my 250GT and it makes my headlights look really dull and old. theyre yelloow and have small hairline cracks all over but have the appearancer of being okay.

was looking at aftermarket black mount headlights from america on ebay but i got told you can put american headlights on an australian/jap spec car.

P.S rang nissan for new OEM headlights and got quoted $2500 each headlight (no joke) my lake macquarie nissan.

Any help would be great as, thanks.

Headlights designed for a Left Hand drive car will be illegal here because the light pattern is wrong, you will blind people in other cars driving toward you. For the same reason RHD headlights would be illegal in USA

Headlights designed for a Left Hand drive car will be illegal here because the light pattern is wrong, you will blind people in other cars driving toward you. For the same reason RHD headlights would be illegal in USA

Errr, what? Care to explain/elaborate?

I think what it comes down to is in AU the light pattern is like this \..\.. whereas in USA its like ../../ (Aiming to the outer edge of the road, rather than at direct traffic.) Therefore US lights will be pointing directly into oncoming traffic in Australia.

However.. Having said this im currently installing imported lights from the US that i plan on just re-pointing... I guess we'll see how i go :)

Edited by sheldon2369

^ what he said. RHD headlight low beam light pattern kicks up on the left to light the left side of the road, if you aren't sure what I mean, park your car about 10m from a wall at night and turn on your headlights.

LHD headlight light pattern kicks up on the right, if you fit them to a RHD car it will shine straight into the face of oncoming drivers.

I have heard of some people modifying headlights to remove the 'kick up', so the light cutoff is just a straight line. But I have no idea if this is possible on these headlights.

Japan is RHD, isn't there a supplier of aftermarket lights in Japan that we could buy from? I can never find anything on google.co.jp, but I don't speak Japanese... any ideas?

Also, is it possible to just replace the clear lens, or is it all sealed up?

Cheers

1Spoon

How much would it cost to get the kick up or whatever it is, to get aligned to the Australian side or can I do it myself or what?

To do it properly, you would need to replace the refelctor with one made for a RHD car, as the reflector is responsible for creating the light pattern.

The only one I have heard of being modified was a projector type lamp. I don't know how they did it, but I assume there must have been an extra 'add on' piece in the reflector to create the 'kick up' pattern, and they just removed that.

I don't think it would be possible to adjust the existing reflector on a standard headlight setup.

Also, I doubt it would be possible to just adjust the headlights so they point lower and not blind oncoming drivings, as they would need to be so low that they would be next to useless, assuming the adjustments could even go far enough.

My headlights are fine it's just the clear out cover is full of hairline cracks, yellow (have buffed it heaps of times etc etc) and isn't really helping the look I'm going for.

Because I'm getting after market ones that look the same as the OEM ones only black couldn't I just pull my old ones apart and fit them in the new ones or....