SAU Community

Air Bag Light Flashing

GeNOS

On 15.01.2015 at 11:09 AM, froggy88 said:

My 03 coupe started to do this about 8 months ago. I don't recall what error code it was throwing up (something about a faulty sensor?) but my mechanic went through the whole system and couldn't find anything wrong. They also did the reset procedure and the light came back on after about a day.

I did the ECU reset procedure and it hasn't come back on since!

Sorry for bringing it up but that problem usually occurs after sweeping, vacum cleaning under front seats either driver or passenger or just moving seats back and forward. Well known issue that causes one or few yellow SRS connectors under front seats.

You must disconnect the battery before you try to do anything with any parts of SRS system. Check all yellow connectors under both seats, unplug them, clean them up, make sure proper contacts achieved in between every connector male/female and that is it, you'll never see that problem again. Sorry once again if it was sorted already.

* reason is the age of our cars and special material japs used to plated those contacts in yellow connectors.

@Nicko_2010 Thats not necessarily anything to do with under the seats. It could be any number if sensor or as you say wire issues. Mine was the clock spring even though the signal was a seat belt warning light and I did all the checks before I even took it to a mechanic. Unfortunately you need someone with V35 diagnostics which will tell you exactly where the fault is. Some people are quoting $150 just to do that my guy charged me alot less.

I had the passenger side seat warning light a few years back, I had tried cleaning the connectors several times, using contact grease to prevent corrosion, cable tying the wires in place so they couldn't move.. each time after a few months the warning light re-occurred.  In the end I removed the pins from the connectors and soldered the pins onto the wires instead of just the crimp.  that was years ago now and I haven't had another occurrences of the fault.  I have had the clockspring go bad since then, but that threw a driver side airbag fault code, which was different to the passenger side seat.

• 5 years later...

Guys; having run into this problem again many years after I first encountered I found one method that absolutely works every time whether its the slow flashing light or the fast flashing light on the V35 Airbag warning light.

1. Turn the key to the On position (do not start), wait for the Airbag light to go off(7 sec). Turn the key to the Off position within a second of the Airbag light going off. (& before it flashes).

Wait 4 seconds then turn the key to On as above.

2. Repeat the above 3 times - ie total of 4 times. 

3. After the 4th time -when you turn the key to the Off position Wait 3 sec then turn the key On again. Wait for the light to go out. Then switch Off

4. Wait only 2 sec then turn On again. Wait for the light to go out. Then switch off.

5. Wait only 1 sec. Turn On again. Wait for the light to go out. Turn the car off. Remove key from the ignition. Then put the keys back in and start the car.

I have used the other 2 methods listed on this forum and Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. This one works without fail.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 3:08 PM, niZmO_Man said:

how the hell do you discover something like that? Maybe the person who programmed it put it in a tech bulletin somewher

Yeah, possibly I read it somewhere years ago. But this time I just tried it without checking or looking. Also after you do these resets heaps of times you try anything!. A couple of sites do the 3sec then 2sec wait in the off position, so to me it just made sense to go that one step further!. 

It will only work if the fault that caused the light is no longer occurring.  This process doesn't actually fix anything, it just clears the current SRS codes.  If the fault still exists, it will just trigger the code again when the ignition is turned on next.

On 08/06/2022 at 6:02 PM, sonicii said:

It will only work if the fault that caused the light is no longer occurring.  This process doesn't actually fix anything, it just clears the current SRS codes.  If the fault still exists, it will just trigger the code again when the ignition is turned on next.

Yeah I know. So far so good though..

I had the exact same thing happen to my 96 R33 GTST. I tried the steps above and it only slowed down the blinking. I did find another method and it fixed it, even after starting the car several times after the fix. These steps are as follows:

Leave the driver door open when doing this. Put the key in and turn it to the ON position, then quickly press the door jamb button 10x. Turn the key to the OFF position, wait 3-5 seconds and then start the car. The airbag light should go off completely.