SAU Community

V35 For Sale

Well I bought this car 18 month a go, looked really clean and in good condition.

Then about 2 month into it i started comming across all these forum topics about how crap thier transmission are and why it was discontinued etc etc...

I thought well hopefully they are not correct and people want to deflate the cars price for what ever reason.

Sure enought 18 month into it my transmission is completely gone.

As soon as it hit 100 k it was gone. it first started playing up and then bam it died.

No one can fix the transmission and i heaard figures around 15k -30 k to have it fixed even then i gotta change the oil (if i can find it) and that is another 2K worth.

And no i didnt change the oil cus i couldnt find it but i thought surly it will last 10-20 k over 100 k till i find the $2000 transmission oil.

But no car couldnt wait ..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330637623565

Cheaper to buy another (Really really cheap) Sedan and take it's working transmission and put it in your car (and service it before it goes in). Sell the other sedan for parts. Boom!!! you've made money :thumbsup:

wreckers would probably give you more than $4500 if you are desperate.

I am not desperate to sell it in terms of money , but i want to get rid of it now i don't have space for it . I heard wreckers pay peanuts for it .

Could you let me know which wrecker would buy it for 4.5 or more and i am happy to sell it , so far i am getting calls for 2-3.5 grand !

You should ring around wreckers and find out for yourself. If you were in Brisbane I would probably snap it up and double my money just by selling the parts. Engine alone is probably worth more than $2K. Do a search for import wreckers in your area or even import dealers.

You should ring around wreckers and find out for yourself. If you were in Brisbane I would probably snap it up and double my money just by selling the parts. Engine alone is probably worth more than $2K. Do a search for import wreckers in your area or even import dealers.

SOLD

I listed it at 11 am today on a sunday , by 6 pm i had around 10 calls , 2 offers were 2k and a 3k one. but most ppl didnt have any idea about the transmissions etc they were asking about how hard it is to fix etc..

they would get surprised when i told them how much it cost to fix the transmission.

anyways by the end of it i was sick of it all; a wrecker who actaully knew what he was doing and had the transmission already, bought it.

I would never again buy import, its rediculus to have to pay 300$ for a front light, or 2k for the bloody transmission oil! no matter how good is the car!

Got a ralliart not as smooth but just as fast

Based on how quickly it sold, I guess you just shot yourself in the foot again. Don't blame imports for your poor experience, you only have yourself to blame for not doing adequate research prior to purchase.

The CVT oil is expensive but doesn't cost $2K. $300 for a head light is cheap! Try ringing mitsubishi and see how much they quote for a replacement headlight for your car..

See you later hope you enjoy your new car... :action-smiley-069:

Based on how quickly it sold, I guess you just shot yourself in the foot again. Don't blame imports for your poor experience, you only have yourself to blame for not doing adequate research prior to purchase.

The CVT oil is expensive but doesn't cost $2K. $300 for a head light is cheap! Try ringing mitsubishi and see how much they quote for a replacement headlight for your car..

See you later hope you enjoy your new car... :action-smiley-069:

Ah, I remember the days of Ford ownership, where Ford wanted to sell an Air Flow Meter for an EL XR8 for $2000, and that's a locally made car! Any idea how much an EL XR8 is worth these days? I would never go local again based solely on expensive spare parts. Anyone who knows anything about Skylines knows how much a Z32 Air Flow Meter goes for, and it's nowhere near as much as $2000 I can promise you that.

Also know for a fact that with the new Holden Cruze, every time you take it in for a service while still under warranty, they force you to change the windscreen wipers, irrespective of how worn they are. And you know how much that costs? $200, because they sell you an entire windscreen wiper assembly (includes the heads), so any service is going to cost you a mint on a BRAND NEW car.

Then try the Euro cars, they are beyond a joke. Ever tried to get brake pads for a Mercedes? Be prepared to sell your mother. They are notorious for their options lists too, try buying an Audi, things that should be standard cost an extra $500 here, $2000 there...

Jap cars have by FAR the cheapest spare parts available, even go on eBay and look up spare parts for Jap cars, they are a dime a dozen and that's why they're cheap. Why do you think Jap cars are modified so regularly, because they're cheap to get decent power from AND reliable. Last time anything went wrong on any Jap car I owned, was through my own fault or just wear and tear.

And that's why the Mazda 3 and even Hyundai and Kia are some of the best selling cars in this country at the moment.

Korean >_<

I wouldn't knock the Korean makers, I still remember even 10-15 years ago the Japanese makers were frowned upon (and still are to some extent today), and now there's entire web forums *cough cough* dedicated to them. How times and perceptions change. I'll bet my house by the next generation, Korean cars will be as good, if not superior, to Japanese products of today. What about Samsung and LG? They easily make some of the best products available here now.

Have you seem the Kia Optima and Hyundai i40 Tourer? They are arguably the best in their respective categories, best bang-for-your-buck cars easily. Cheap to maintain, run and 5-year warranty on both manufacturers - you wonder why local cars struggle to compete.

That's bad luck mate.

In the interest of helping others -

What were the symptoms? What led you to believe that the transmission was the problem? What code did the consult throw up and what steps did you perform to attempt to fix it?

I wouldn't knock the Korean makers, I still remember even 10-15 years ago the Japanese makers were frowned upon (and still are to some extent today), and now there's entire web forums *cough cough* dedicated to them. How times and perceptions change. I'll bet my house by the next generation, Korean cars will be as good, if not superior, to Japanese products of today. What about Samsung and LG? They easily make some of the best products available here now.

Have you seem the Kia Optima and Hyundai i40 Tourer? They are arguably the best in their respective categories, best bang-for-your-buck cars easily. Cheap to maintain, run and 5-year warranty on both manufacturers - you wonder why local cars struggle to compete.

Sorry mate not knocking the Korean makers. Just pointing out you said Japan then noted Hyundai and Kia.

P.S I love the hyundai genesis. :thumbsup:

cars will be as good, if not superior, to Japanese products of today. What about Samsung and LG? They easily make some of the best products available here

samsung , yeah they make quite a reasonable product, up there near some of the high quality products these days. LG.. Nope.. Except perhaps when they rebadge someone else's product.

Korean cars are certainly better than they were about 10 or so years ago, but still not to the extent that I would buy one, I am not sure I would be brave enough to say they could ever match the Japanese products.. Unless of course the Japanese quality takes a nose dive.

Edited by sonicii

Sorry mate not knocking the Korean makers. Just pointing out you said Japan then noted Hyundai and Kia.

P.S I love the hyundai genesis. :thumbsup:

Haha that's OK, I meant "even Hyundai and Kia" along with the Jap car makers, probably should of worded it better! I have no allegience to Korean makers, don't care to be honest, but I can appreciate how far their products have come from. It's very similar to what happened in Japan over a generation.

samsung , yeah they make quite a reasonable product, up there near some of the high quality products these days. LG.. Nope.. Except perhaps when they rebadge someone else's product.

Korean cars are certainly better than they were about 10 or so years ago, but still not to the extent that I would buy one, I am not sure I would be brave enough to say they could ever match the Japanese products.. Unless of course the Japanese quality takes a nose dive.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy Jap over almost anything in the world today, but you still can't deny what has been happening in Korea. I just want to point this out - where was LG and Samsung 10+ years ago? I would buy a Samsung LCD/LED/Plasma over a Panasonic any day now - would you of said that, even a couple years ago? It's eerily similar to what happened with Japan. I still laugh at this part from Back to The Future III (slightly off topic but kinda relevant):

In 1955, while fixing the time circuits, Doc sneers and remarks, "No wonder this circuit failed; it says 'Made in Japan'." Marty replies, "What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan." His remark is based on the reputation of Japanese products that, until the "Golden '60s economic miracle", the products were often cheap and poorly made. By the 1970s (and even today), Japan has become one of the world leaders in technology.

Sound familiar?

Wouldn't buy a Korean car myself (esp. compared to Jap), but in the future? I know a few other people who have based solely on reliability, warranty and maintenance. Like I said, in 10 years who knows what would happen. Hyundai and Kia were virtually non-existent here with the exception of maybe a couple cars they sold. Just like Japan was many years ago, they got better and now look where they are. Probably see Chinese cars having the same reputation as Korean cars did here, the cycle will continue...

Have you seen the Kia Optima and Hyundai i40 Tourer? 5-year warranty on both manufacturers - you wonder why local cars struggle to compete.

I guess that's a lifetime warranty then.............................:dry:

A bit late to jump in the convo here but $2000 for gear oil?? Really?? I bought Redline Gear oil for $90 for my manual box.

I know you guys are talking about a CVT box - but am I missing something here? Should I be using a different gear oil?

A bit late to jump in the convo here but $2000 for gear oil?? Really?? I bought Redline Gear oil for $90 for my manual box.

I know you guys are talking about a CVT box - but am I missing something here? Should I be using a different gear oil?

Yeah the CVT on the 350GT-8 uses transmission oil which isn't far off being liquid gold. $2000 may be either a bit of an exaggeration or over priced. I Rev in Melbourne sells it for $560 per can (2 cans needed for a service = $1120 on oil cost)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Skyline-V35-350-GT-8-Transmission-oil-/220879380863?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336d6fe17f

At the end of the day this situation could have been averted had the money for the transmission oil and service just been forked out in the first place.... Selling the car for $4k has obviously cost more than $2k on a proper tranny service

you can never guarantee it wouldn't have happened even if he had done the tranny service. If he had done more research in the first place and stayed away from the CVT it would have been a much better experience.