SAU Community

Skyline R33 Gts Sedan Rb20E To Rb20Det

fiaz

hi all

i have a r33 gts sedan with the crappy rb20e engine and i was wondering if i swap to the rb20det if i can use the engine alone and keep my rb20e automatic transmission and if it will mate up.. reason for this is because my mom and dad use my car often but for ease of use i want to keep the automatic transmission and also have a bit of a power upgrade... also would the rb20e wiring and other fineries be ok to run with the rb20det? i'm a bit new to all of this so any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

yeah nissan made the unusual step to put that engine in the r33 gts but i really want some more power so i'm hoping to swap for the rb20det and keep my rb20e auto transmission if it's possibleand also would like to know if the rb20det ecu would also work

R33 never came out with an RB20DET, so you'd be pushing shit up hill to install a shithouse engine conversion and blow up an auto box.

25DET with a 25DET box is the way to go(Cheaper to buy it with an auto box anyway). its a legal swap and a good one at that. But you're still left with 4 stud hubs,shit diff and needing to upgrade your braking system to legally accommodate the 25DET conversion.

Food for thought.

hey thanks for the advice... i can get a rb25det engine with manual tranny but i'll have to buy the rb25 auto trans separate would the manual ecu work with the auto tranny and how hard is it to fit the wiring and stuff from the rb25det onto my car? also i've already done the 4 pot brakes upgrade in the front using the r33 gts t rotors and calipers. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

What's every ones problem with the rb20??? they do just fine for a 2.0! . by far the cheapest option would be rb25de including loom and ecu ( 1/2 cut with or without the gearbox) remember , you can add all the det gear to it for reasonably cheap and the extra compression makes monster like torque. rb20e wiring will not suit any twin cam by the way :)

• 8 years later...

I also have a r33 sedan with a rb20e auto in it and I have a rb20det manual in a r32 sedan, how much is involved to make it work? I've been told I need the backing plate for the diff and longer driveshaft. Am I missing anything? Any help is appreciated