SAU Community

New Toymota "sports" Car

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That car looks too generic with nothing that resmbles from the old ae86. As someone who likes the shape of the ae86 this big jump from what it was to what they've created now and it's a bit too much to stomach personally. If toyota had kept evolving the ae86 from the old days then it's most recent shape might make sense.

the r35 gtr looks nothing like the original.......

That's beside the point because the r35 evolved to how it looks, do you think it would look the same if the previous r32 r33 and r34gtr's never existed?

Edited by Dobz

well given that it has very little in common with the r32-r34 skyline (other than round tail lights), then i would say yes. you can't really say that the v35 skyline takes much of it's design from the R series skylines, and the r35 takes a lot of it's styling cues from it and the 350z. look at all the other cars on the market and their designs. they are all that sort of design.

had toyota just taken the original design and round the edges a little bit then they would have a design that is about 20 years out of date. they have basically made the design relevant for todays market. they just skipped the middle generation.

The Subaru version, the BRZ, has a more subtle styling:

brzreveal.jpg

Can't find a pic but the rear of the subi version, BRZ, is horrid to say the least...

However look forward to seeing a hybrid, Toyota rear and subi front will look 10 times better

Looks a bit better IMO as I think it will age better than the Toyota version. The angular "tusks" coming off the front wheel arches on the 86 look a little strange but maybe something that will grow on me over time.

Keep in mind the only difference between the two are the front and rear bumpers. the rest is the same.

That car looks too generic with nothing that resmbles from the old ae86. As someone who likes the shape of the ae86 this big jump from what it was to what they've created now and it's a bit too much to stomach personally. If toyota had kept evolving the ae86 from the old days then it's most recent shape might make sense.

You're having a go, right?

so i found out a friend of mine is very keen for one of these, (pending a test drive of coarse)

Toyota told him 30-40 grand for the base models. and up to 50 for a TRD one, which as much as that sounds for a Rolla (not that it is at all), still alot less than a 370z.

and there will most def be a turbo version. :thumbsup:

re: all the comments complaining about why they decided to use a boxer etc.

not sure if any of you are aware but the economic events of the last few years have made it really difficult for companies to find viable reasons to spend large amounts of money. IMO i think this has played a large part in the reason why we are seeing relatively few options in this market segment over the last several years altogether.

why do you think this was even a joint venture between subaru and toyota in the first place? cost sharing exercise.. im sure toyota would have loved to have been able to revive the ae86 all by themselves in true form but in times like these, concessions must be made and in order to make the car affordable they must make use of existing equipment rather than create everything from scratch which becomes very costly.

IMO its almost a shame that the 86 had to come back at a time when the development may be somewhat hampered by economic conditions.

and is anyone else of the opinion that the concept was a million times better looking than this? it looks like they've taken to it with the ugly stick since everyone had wet dreams over the original concept. just sayin

Edited by jonboy

and is anyone else of the opinion that the concept was a million times better looking than this? it looks like they've taken to it with the ugly stick since everyone had wet dreams over the original concept. just sayin

Yep, but that happens with nearly all concepts.

Reason? Whilst the concept gets everyone excited, car manufacturers have to "pull back" the extreme design to appeal to a larger market... or so they think. What they fail to realise is that by doing so, they lose that special something that excited everyone with original design.

I picture it as a Samurai going into battle with a steel pipe instead of a razor sharp sword... sure he is going to do some damage but he really isn't all he can be.

As an aside, I really like the Mazda concepts and hope they don't "dull the sword" too much.

Yep, but that happens with nearly all concepts.

Reason? Whilst the concept gets everyone excited, car manufacturers have to "pull back" the extreme design to appeal to a larger market... or so they think. What they fail to realise is that by doing so, they lose that special something that excited everyone with original design.

I picture it as a Samurai going into battle with a steel pipe instead of a razor sharp sword... sure he is going to do some damage but he really isn't all he can be.

As an aside, I really like the Mazda concepts and hope they don't "dull the sword" too much.

it isn't just to make it appeal to a wider market, it is to make the styling age a bit better. concept car styling is based off what is the current trend. it's all about making it look like something from 5 years time which generally gives it a pretty short shelf life when it comes to having a model that is supposed to last a few years between updates.

i actually have to agree with this. a mate of mine owns 3 86's, all with different spec (4AC, 4AGE, 4AGZE). the later 2 go well in a straight line (the 4AC is a slug though). they handle ok, but not that great, even with mods, and they are absolute crap to drift. i have no idea why they are a cult drift car. that is the reason why you seem amature drifters in them constantly spinning out.

I think they were just cheap and available back in the day plus you have the initial D thing going on.

I'd imagine they have a chassis about as stiff as a 80 year olds dick with a bad hangover, so not that great to drift really.