SAU Community

New Garrett Gtx2860R / 2863R / 2867R

Gav

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of these turbos.

With the same size exhaust housing and wheel as the existing 2860-5 units but a slightly larger compressor side I'm hoping these may well offer the elusive "GT-RS" type power levels with much less lag and shuffling problems.

It appears that it won't be a straight swap propositon as the compressor inlet is now a generic hose type fitting and the exhaust housing will be unlilkely to be offered in the Nissan "compact 5 bolt" design, however the exhaust housing can be swapped from the 2860 unit.

Garrett suggest that comparing same size units, the new billet compressor wheel design offers 10% more flow, however I'm thinking that if I going to go the change then I may as well go the 2863 over the 2860.

Been waiting for the GTX to filter to the 28 frame :D

Although I would more have said GTX2863 would be HKS2530 power levels as opposed to GT-RS/-10?

Given the -5s always make a bit less than the HKS2530 simply because of the smaller comp wheel etc.

If they can do that, and keep the slightly better response of the -5, be a good choice for sure!

Only problem being the GTX really hasn't lived up to the claims in many instances, will have to see some results/back to backs.

I think there will be a "bolt on" version eventually, cannot see why there wouldn't be given the GTX have come up in offerings the GTs have for the most part.

It seems good, but you dont get exhaust housings when you buy a brand new one just like the rest of the GTX series. But you can re-use the standard housings from the GT range.

Plus, I still dont see how these turbochargers will be overall "better", when it is essentially a new compressor wheel that flows more with the same turbine housing and wheel. The problem with these turbochargers is the restrictive exhaust side when trying to squeeze the most out of them.

It seems good, but you dont get exhaust housings when you buy a brand new one just like the rest of the GTX series. But you can re-use the standard housings from the GT range.

Plus, I still dont see how these turbochargers will be overall "better", when it is essentially a new compressor wheel that flows more with the same turbine housing and wheel. The problem with these turbochargers is the restrictive exhaust side when trying to squeeze the most out of them.

I agree, GT-RS and 2540's are rubbish due to that very reason

I agree, GT-RS and 2540's are rubbish due to that very reason

Ye but you are forgetting the 2530s were a good choice, and are larger than the -5s

It was going bigger again to 2540/-10 where the problems arose.

So if these GTX are basically a "purchasable" HKS2530, then that is a good thing. Second hand 2530s sell for more than what a set of NEW -5s are worth, simply because you cannot get them.

It'll depend on just "how big" the GTX is... Will it be 2530 or GT-RS/-10... That is the question. Hoping the former.

• Like 1

This is true,, I'm more thinking along the lines of, the -5's make over 400rwks, will the larger 63mm GTX versions be able to make a meaningful amount more again.

If it is 10kw's then it would hardly be worth it

I do think these would go well on an SR/CA etc, would be a good in between setup for those who want more than a 2860, but don't want the lag of a 2871

I don't agree that the GT28 NS111 turbines in GT28 turbine housings are restrictive , particularly in twin form on an RB2570cc engine .

Its a different thing when theres only one of them on an RB25 and the housing is 0.64 AR . Its fine if you want to have boost at normal production car like revs but not when looking for 300 Kw .

There is good reasons for using larger than 60mm compressor wheels on the better GT28 turbine and I don't think the small and medium trim GT2871Rs are such a bad thing . The issue with GT28 turbos in twin form is that the larger diameter compressor wheels don't make them terribly responsive things but you have to look at the capacity of the compressor wheels themselves .

The other significant issue is compressor housings namely port shrouded ones . In the past I don't think Garrett was famous for using them on aftermarket road car turbos and it took some pushing from HKS to make that happen . Actually many of the PS'd compressor housings on HKS spec Garrett turbos have ones made by someone else I think because they didn't have a market for them on OE spec turbos .

IMO if Garrett is smart they'll offer T3 flanged IW turbine housings in 0.64 and 0.86 because there is a market for them . I think the GTX2863 and 2867 may already have port shrouded compressor housings std and this will mage a significant anti surge difference . If they are really smart they will offer these to suit GT2871R turbos and kill the HKS GTRS monopoly .

One I haven't looked into is the GTX2860R because it may have a larger trim/airflow range than a "GT2530" which in todays speak is a GT2860R with a 60mm 63T compressor wheel .

It could be interesting to try to make RB26 specific port shrouded compressor housings though its difficult to know if Garrett thinks a market is there to justify their development .

I reckon the bottom line is that you won't get a torquey responsive std capacity GTR engine without a higher static CR and specifically tuned turbos like GT2859R/GTSS turbos . The sad fact is that a low compression ratio 2568cc I6 cannot make enough torque to drag a tonne and a half of AWD Skyline around in style at conventional car type everyday revs . Last time I spoke to SK about this he said the first thing a GTR needs is an RB30 conversion just to drag the pork around without a boot full of revs . If I was into GTRs thats what I'd do to make one a real good dual purpose car .

A .

If you look at the guys pushing over 400kW with GT2860-5's and the exhaust side is becoming a restriction especially with a larger capacity RB or stock stroke RB26 with high rev limit and well ported head.

It is gas in and gas out... if the compressor flows more that means more power and more exhaust gas, a bit of a viscous cycle with small turbine housings.

This is true,, I'm more thinking along the lines of, the -5's make over 400rwks, will the larger 63mm GTX versions be able to make a meaningful amount more again.

If it is 10kw's then it would hardly be worth it

I do think these would go well on an SR/CA etc, would be a good in between setup for those who want more than a 2860, but don't want the lag of a 2871

Only make 400rwkw with some serious work with strokers & 24psi+, E85 or 100RON etc. Otherwise most punters are closer to ~365-385 with 20psi on 2.6l (PULP).

2530s would do 400rwkw on PULP.

Look at it like this:

59.4mm (-9)

60mm (-5)

63mm (GTX)

71mm (-10)

To note the -9 has a different rear wheel & trim, hence it doesnt make -5 power and they nose over.

There are two potential problems given they don't come with specific housings:

1. Surge

2. Lag

The GTX on paper looks closer to the "-5" than "-10". As the GTX are not meant to surge "as easy", it could be ok. As with all things it will be a time will tell scenario.

Difference with 2530s is usually 20-40rwkw so for that it would be worth it if someone was wanting a little more than -5s - but as a non HKS rape price.

I'm on Gav's wagon for this one, will be interesting to see what they can/can't do.

IMO if Garrett is smart they'll offer T3 flanged IW turbine housings in 0.64 and 0.86 because there is a market for them . I think the GTX2863 and 2867 may already have port shrouded compressor housings std and this will mage a significant anti surge difference . If they are really smart they will offer these to suit GT2871R turbos and kill the HKS GTRS monopoly .

One I haven't looked into is the GTX2860R because it may have a larger trim/airflow range than a "GT2530" which in todays speak is a GT2860R with a 60mm 63T compressor wheel .

It could be interesting to try to make RB26 specific port shrouded compressor housings though its difficult to know if Garrett thinks a market is there to justify their development .

Mmm Yes true.

GTX2860R or GTX2863R

Will be interesting indeed. I for one – pumped about some new offerings about the place.

Ye, I would love to see them match the 2530's but for half the price, IF Garrett do them properly and not have people shoehorning them into existing -5 comp housings Im sure they will.