SAU Community

Exhaust Manifold Turbo Studs

OG.R34

the nuts are not working loose imo, maybe the thread pitch is 1.25, its over a year since i fitted the turbo, the lock nuts are about 17 mm and squashed oval, the stud actually stretches when it reaches red heat,it was far worse when I had the .63 housing from atp , I know what i need roughly just I cannot find them local to me

you can get inconnel studs from GCG ( turboedsloth posted a link earlier in the thread ) not sure if they have the length you are chasing??

surely you need a bolt not a stud, not sure if you could screw one of those oval crush lock nuts on either end of a stud,

I've tried pretty much everyone locally that came up on google.... and nobody sells inconnel bolts off the shelf, they have round bar etc and only machine up bolts to order for industry, aero etc would be bloody expensive for the quantities we are wanting.. I see you are in Ireland, I thought you might be able to find somewhere up there...? obviously not..

If anyone has better luck than me, post it up here for everyone thumbsup.gif

i just put new studs on and new bolts, the bolts i was givin were bigger than the standard ( 17mm opposed to 14mm spanner used) and were a tighter fit on the thread than the old ones ( tighter on and tighter off, you can get these ) , if the bolts are working loose you should try locking two nuts together instead of using just one, that way it cant come loose or try a tighter fitting nut.

The bolts and studs from MTQ were pretty crap, i dont think they even matched properly, the ones from the nuts and bolts shop look solid alot more solid and beefy,

i can honestly say, do not skimp in this department cause after drilling out 6 old broken bolts out of the cylinder head and some new bolts even stripping threads on new studs lol, you dont want to do this twice lol...

Edited by SliverS2

• 8 years later...

I tried to remove the turbo studs from my OEM gt-t exhaust manifold because I need longer ones. I've put some WD40 on over night an screwed two nuts on them but could not manage to remove the studs.

Is there any special method to remove them from the manifold?