SAU Community

Can A Sander Be Used Like A Polisher?

You can; I do, but they don't work as well as the dedicated forced orbit styles, because if you apply a decent amount of pressure, the pad doesn't orbit very well.

It's miles easier than hand polishing, and delivers surprising results if you're prepared to take a bit of time.

I'm sure one of the resident experts will have a better explanation; but that's it in a nutshell.

Most Orbital Sanders have an orbit in the range of 3-5mm where didicated polishes are around the 8mm mark. Not saying you cant use them, you can! but as above may take a bit longer. If you do use a sander dont use one that has been used on wood as they hold crap inside them and only takes some grit to fall out onto your work and you have induced scratches and swirls :(

Edited by R31Heaven

Its an Random orbital, not an Orbital polisher There RPM rating is higher.

I know its not a polisher. I just thought that it had to high an RPM to polish. Im no expert but I thought polishers had to have a lower RPM so they didnt burn the paint. But looking at the Concours 900 polisher that Waxit Sell and they run 2500-6500rpm. So I guess its not as far out as I thought

There are three types of polishers Random Orbital, Orbital and forced rotation. Random orbitals spin in a spiragraph type pattern so dont actualy spin, so they dont build up heat like a rotary which spin in a a circular motion, this why it is recommended to use an Random Orbital when your a beginer. Foced rotation do both. The Festool above also has a speed dial on top to slow down and speed up.

There are three types of polishers Random Orbital, Orbital and forced rotation. Random orbitals spin in a spiragraph type pattern so dont actualy spin, so they dont build up heat like a rotary which spin in a a circular motion, this why it is recommended to use an Random Orbital when your a beginer. Foced rotation do both. The Festool above also has a speed dial on top to slow down and speed up.

Thanks for the info,always have a doubt about the difference between each other,remembered that at work we used to have a Festo Rotex and when you switch from normal sander to the other mode if you pressed to hard it stopped spinning but it kept moving...wonder what happened with it...

post-52922-0-86146000-1324285259_thumb.jpg

Edited by southern_tango

rotex is mighty expensive though

Their slightly lighter than the boschgex150T which i use, but a whole ton more expensive!

as long as your machine wasn't previously used for wood though as previously mentioned :)

you might burn thru the paint either way you need to clean that thing spotless before use. I wouldnt use it myself too risky. a paint job cost too much to stuff around with a cheap sander to save coin.

the short handle will be harder to hold on a car without damage to it

you might burn thru the paint either way you need to clean that thing spotless before use. I wouldnt use it myself too risky. a paint job cost too much to stuff around with a cheap sander to save coin.

the short handle will be harder to hold on a car without damage to it

a random orbital is quite safe at low speeds. rotaries scare the crap out of me, ive never tried one and most likely never really will, my random orbital on forced rotation is more than enough for me :)

but as antonio said - GOOD PADS :)!