SAU Community

Help Saru Build Sally The 4-Door

Sarumatix

Gearbox in. R32 auto Tailshaft getting chopped up and R33 yoke fitted. Opted to go with the 2 piece as I've heard nothing but dramas from 1 piece setups. Started mucking around with the intake pipework setup, decided that a blow off was too much bother.. ahh the joy of MAP tuning.

Getting close to the great wire up, OEM coilpacks are now only AUD330 delivered and for the loom, you can just buy the plugs if you are going aftermarket loom for your ECU!

Having a few dramas with the power steering setup, seems like every RB has a different orientation of the pump depending on AWD, HICAS and model. Getting the combination wrong means either the pump doesn't fit or it is positioned to far back or forwards for the drive belt. Going to try a 26 bracket with 25 non-hicas pump, fingers crossed.

Also learnt that the heater core piping is much smaller diameter between each model, thus, you will need the water fitting from an RB20 to fit up the heater setup without mucking around. This is tricky to get off and requires a 27mm deep socket to get off easily. Be warned, it is very easy to round the fitting with a spanner even with the engine out of the car.

In any case, feeling the progress now, mostly because ACE workshop is doing such awesome work :).

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't even know they were an option to be honest. They don't look *that* much cheaper for the extra work but given that I already have a set of OEMs I guess i'll keep it in mind if any fail me.

Still arguing with powersteering. Trying a Neo bracket and pump now because all the 20/26/25 combinations we tried didn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update.

The race between my first born and this car is currently neck and neck, however, I think sportsbet has odds on baby to win :(.

The trust waste gate which wouldn't hold pressure. Ace Workshop pulled it apart and found a leaking rubber diaphragm and some horribly shoddy workmanship by a former owner.

Trust Wastegate Before

After some tender love and care it now looks like this:

Trust Wastegate After

I had the wonderful task of picking apart the RB20 loom for the wiper controls.

Before

RB20 Loom before

After

RB20 Loom after

I did manage to source a Neo powersteering pump after several false starts and it all bolted in without issue and lined up beautifully (except for being slightly bent, le sigh).

Most of the ancillaries are now connected with just a couple of bits and pieces to tidy up. After the intake is finalised, it's finally time to get wiring.

The engine bay currently looks like this:

Progress at 25/08/2014

Edited by Sarumatix

• 2 months later...