SAU Community

E85/eflex And Oil Choice

SS8_Gohan

Here is an email from Motul NZ:

Hi BobIn New Zealand we have had a lot of experience with E85, as you say there is a lot of reading material on the topic. I would suggest talking to Carl Ruiterman from E&H motors in Pukekohe about running your RB30 on E85 and 300V he has a lot of experience tuning RB's and SR's on his dyno and also his gymkhana WRX uses E85 and 300V. I will be back to work on Monday the 9th, feel free to call me on the number below if you would like to talk more about what we have learnt. I am available before then on this number but coverage is a bit scratchy.

Chris Walkley (from mobile) Automotive Sales ManagerMotul Oil NZ021 946 020

and here is a post from a top engine builder (didn't ask his permission so haven't named him or the drifter):

We had this issue with [top drifter]'s E85 fueled SR20 engine last season. Another sponsor supplied him with his synthetic oil, and we couldn't figure out why the engines wouldn't last. After exhausting all other avenues, we put it down to the oil. The other sponsor assured the team the oil was compatible with E85, but we had our suspicions looking at the engine wear/damage. A call was made direct to the manufacturer in the USA and they confirmed to us that the oil he was using was definately not compatible with E85 and would cause catastrophic engine failure. As soon the team changed to Motul oil, no more engine issues.

We use Motul 3000 20W50 mineral oil to run the engine in, then switch to Motul 300V synthetic oil once engine is tuned.

Interesting information. I dont recall Barrell complaining about the United Oil product. I was the one who organised the $ sponsorship and free products. Im sure if he thought there was a problem with the oil I would know about it!

There are smaller engines making 3 times the HP of the V8 Utes that are using United Oil and have never had a problem.

Find and API SN product and use that if you are running on E85.

V8 Utes are not hard on oil, they are a big lazy cubic inch engine making stuff all HP. A F1 engine is small and making lots of HP, this would be harder on oils than a V8 ute.

Ash

just recalling past observations. and not bagging the oil used. hard to complain when its free. thanks bud. ps, when the engine enamel on the sump turns brown its getting pretty hot. ps tell him im still waiting for my suer and group cirts from the whole time i was there. :)

There is a bit of a following in the US of Shell Rotella T 5W40 synthetic oil . They like it because it appears to work and is not real expensive for what it is . The only real question is getting someone to confirm its specified as a "hard use" oil and not just one for turbo diesels .

A .

wow, some great replies to this thread - thanks for all the contributions!

for the person running AMSoil, it's fine - there's quite a few UOA's around on bitog (bob is the oil guy) and other places that show AMSoil is ok for ethanol.

Based on this, and others like Rotella etc, i don't see true sythetics being an issue with ethanol provided they have the right additives?

anyways, i think i'm going to give the 6100 15w50 a try.

get an oil analysis done.

i got mine done, cost me $40. i changed the oil out at just under 3,000kms because i thought it was getting a little too thin.

but turned out that the test came back really good, no bearing particles found or ring particles found and the oil viscosity was within range of the fresh stuff i sent to be compared with.

and i was using Motul 8100 Excess 10w40

Who did it?

What was involved? Warm the car upto operating temp and take a sample?

Lubemate did it, he mainly gets the bulk of his work from industry but he does do analysis in bikes and cars.

from memory he just told me to take a sample after the car has been running, it didnt nessecerily need to be at temp. just run it enough to ensure that the oil wasnt all settled, (a good indicator is the oil is warm to the touch, not scalding)

i gave him 2 samples 1 from the oil coming out of the sump (not scooped from the pan) and another container of the clean oil i was putting in. (obviously has to be the same type of oil as you put in previously)

Yeah im running the AMSoil glad to hear it fine cos its expensive shit ! Didnt wanna waste $100 worth of oil!:thumbsup:

wow, some great replies to this thread - thanks for all the contributions!

for the person running AMSoil, it's fine - there's quite a few UOA's around on bitog (bob is the oil guy) and other places that show AMSoil is ok for ethanol.

Based on this, and others like Rotella etc, i don't see true sythetics being an issue with ethanol provided they have the right additives?

anyways, i think i'm going to give the 6100 15w50 a try.

I was running Motul turbolight 4100 and didnt notice anything weird the in the drained oil but I didnt do an oil analysis or anything.

After reading some of these threads I freaked out and dropped $100 on a bottle of royal purple as it is confirmed to work with E85. Until another cheaper option is confirmed then I will move to that.

that's why i went with the Yank oils (RP and AMSoil) until we had a bit more concrete info. I ran RP in my GTT with E85, no dramas and then switched to AMSoil is their comparative product was meant to be slightly better.

I've carried over the AMSoil to the GTR but will definitely give something thicker a try from either Motul or Penrite by the sounds of it.

When i get a little bit of time, i'm going to go through this thread and make a bit of a summary, and then maybe a few of us can go off and do UOA's to confirm/deny summary.

and then maybe a few of us can go off and do UOA's to confirm/deny summary.

I was trying to get a sample kit from one of the local suppliers and their websites are crap. Anyone have a quick number to call? Probably a bad time of year.

By the way, I have found 3 local United servo's selling e85 in the last month. Is this coincidence or are they trying to out do Caltex? Looks like I need a retune.

Trent mentioned he saw a United with some, and what-do-you-know... http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/store-locator/fuels/E85 - they're back in a big way! And Vic is killing it! Sweet. Nothing really close unfortunately, but a bit closer than the closest Eflex at least. Hopefully fueltown gets their Manildra E85 back... - knowing United though, it's prob E90... but good times though, will be back in the 400rwkw :D

Trent mentioned he saw a United with some, and what-do-you-know... http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/store-locator/fuels/E85 - they're back in a big way! And Vic is killing it! Sweet. Nothing really close unfortunately, but a bit closer than the closest Eflex at least. Hopefully fueltown gets their Manildra E85 back... - knowing United though, it's prob E90... but good times though, will be back in the 400rwkw :D

Until I can scrape up the coin for a G4 extreme or PS2000 I wont be able to just rock up and fill like you mate, :thumbsup: but with the two tunes on the EMU I should be set for Summer on United or Winter Eflex without having to return to the old petrol primer setup I had for coldstarts.

Even less K's to the tank? Bring it on I say. :devil:

On topic, I really need an oil change. What are some good oil analysis companies to ring? (I will try lubemate on Monday) I have been sold on the Sougi 6000 a year now and would like to see what comes from this esther breakdown talk. My gut tells me the engine is loving it.

no plugin G4 for the Stagea?

Any ECU with a digital input should be flex capable... Haltech options for Stagea?

yeah, i remember the last time i looked for UOA companies i struggled to find much. Unless blackstone has some sort of presence here in oz