SAU Community

World Time Attack Challenge 2012

handbrake

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys at cyber Evo must be shattered. After coming all that way (and supposedly bringing the car out of retirement), really not posting a time, and having the issues that they did. Find it hard to believe that the motor needed to be swapped out early friday morning. Thought it would have had its health checked and double checked prior to the event. Or did something lunch itself in practice? Sounds like the crew were having a shocker.

Some further information on the Cyber Evo from Kemp (STR8E180) who is associated with Powertune;

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=522251&st=30

SR = Tractor motor???? SR = 3rd and 4th outright at WTAC 2012 :yes:

Don't know what goes on in this odd form of Gen Y play. If it is obvious, it's then a sure fire bet and putting it on the CC won't be a prob. The 600 gets refunded, the other car gets excluded, win/win I would have though?

Scrutineer's job isn't to check eligibility, other forms of the sport have eligibility officers to check on legalities, the money making venture here should have some budget surely! The protest and appeal process is the best way of deciding what's ultimately kosher though, as it's not unknown for State interpretations to cloud various EOs rulings.

Why should another team have to front the bill or risk the cash on even a 90% certainty that the other team breached the rules as provided? I dont think it's gen Y to expect some basic rule compliance without a protest. What other sports can you think of that force the individual to front the cash for an obvious call?

As I said I dont blame volunteer scrutineers, but at a world class event they could put someone on payroll at scrutineering to ensure some basic rule adherence. They could then head off obvious controversy before it happens, let the team in potential breach of rules pay for the protest - not the teams doing the right thing.

Anyone else really dissapointed in the latest panspeed car, that thing is a bucket compared to their old ride.

Ugly as only an rx8 can be, slow as xmas and sounded like a bad 2 stroke dirt bike.

Rx8 needs a turbo!

Any idea what happened to big red? Posted a awesome time day 1 but didn't turn up day 2?

Aero failed unfortunately. Combination of a lot of little things meant the front splitter stopped being part of the car. Biggest reason was a lack of prep time in the end as it was a new untested splitter and everything involved with it wasn't up to the forces it created.

Shame as it meant he never had a run on the soft rubber / hard shock set-up they were saving for Day 2. But there was plenty of these type of stories all up and down the lane.

Hey guys I'd like to clear a bit of speculatiion up that seems to be happening on many various forums.

I am Nev Scott the owner and driver of the blue WRX that won clubsprint class at WTAC.

As will always be the case there are a lot of typical "Keyboard Warriors" who were not even at the event who know the REAL happenings of the situation and wont be able to be told any different because they just know everything about everything.

Firstly the issues that arose on the weekend were brewing about 3 months out from the event and we thought that it had all been dealt with and it wasnt going to be an issue when Ian Baker ( CEO of WTAC ) wrote on the WTAC website

"superlap says:

July 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Bolt-on flares are allowed so long as the factory guards are still intact. We have been assured by the owner of the vehicle that the front guards pictured are being removed and being replaced with modified OEM guards for the event to meet our regulations. Hope this clears things up."

The reality is that Ian admitted to me on saturday that they probably should have made an amendment to the regs.

I never set out to break any rules as I rang to organisers to clarify that fitting a flare to the car to accomodate their rule of an "unrestricted wheel size" .

Most cars in the feild were outside the rules if you want to stick to the letter of the rules.

Next years rules will be very clearly defined and there wont be any issues as there was this year.

I spoke to the competitors who were behind the protest and said that I was unhappy that they chose this path to resolve an issue. The bottom line is I was using the same tyre and size as they were and they were beaten by 1.3 seconds.

You cant tell me that a factroy metal guard that had about 250g worth of material removed and replaced with a fibreglass flare will make the car 1.3 secs faster.

We left the event last year and went home with a goal to return and fight for a win, we did our homework and spent months setting the car up and getting the power to the ground and well the times and results show the rest.

I congratulate everyone who was ACTUALLY there competing and everyone did their best on the weekend.

Hard work does pay off and we have proven that.

I know this post will upset some of you but hey .... thats life.

I'm already planning our assault for next year so we will come back a lot faster. Our predictive lap timing showed there was a mid 1.37 in the car but with all the dramas I didnt have my head in the game enough to do it. Maybe next year we will come and run a 1.36 on road tyres ;) with the same car.

Nev

Arent you contradicting yourself there Nev. The rules as you wrote are " so long as the factory guards are still intact." Yet you clearly state you cut material from them.

No biggie to me either way, I'm only a spectator but that doesnt add up on face value.

Nev first of all I have to say well done on the lap time, it is very impressive lap time for a harder track compound tyre. In my eyes it’s not only the flares being the problem, you had a large alloy rear diffuser hanging out the back a front carbon splitters and canards. But you were not the only one with these mods this year or previous years.

The way most of us read the rules you can’t use these items in clubsprint and this will be enforced a lot next year after what happened if I have anything to do with it. After going over the clubsprint cars we could have thrown around 10+ cars out of the class due to not complying with the rules.

This event should be renamed Aero Racing.

That Nemo machine is amazing, although also wondering about the power. It was only doing around 242k,s down the straight, also considering it comes onto the straight faster than any other car. Surely the aero can't have that much drag? If it is down on power then it has more in it.

This event should be renamed Aero Racing.

That Nemo machine is amazing, although also wondering about the power. It was only doing around 242k,s down the straight, also considering it comes onto the straight faster than any other car. Surely the aero can't have that much drag? If it is down on power then it has more in it.

I wasn't actually there to see and hear it coming down the straight, but is it possible that the gearing was quite short to give quicker acceleration by sacrificing some top speed?

rationalise it all you want, the rules don't allow it.

but as I said from the start, nothing was going to be done about it because the organisers simply don't care. The rules have always been broken from day 1.

Edited by hrd-hr30

Nev first of all I have to say well done on the lap time, it is very impressive lap time for a harder track compound tyre. In my eyes it’s not only the flares being the problem, you had a large alloy rear diffuser hanging out the back a front carbon splitters and canards. But you were not the only one with these mods this year or previous years.

The way most of us read the rules you can’t use these items in clubsprint and this will be enforced a lot next year after what happened if I have anything to do with it. After going over the clubsprint cars we could have thrown around 10+ cars out of the class due to not complying with the rules.

Sounds like there was one rule for anyone in clubsprint class that rang up Ian and spoke to him and another for those that actually worked off the rules in writing.

Wonder whether the rest of the field would have been quicker also if they were aware that they could get away with front splitters, rear diffusers, wider guards and canards.

Seems to be as much an issue with the organisers not stating/enforcing the rules clearly enough as much as it was some of the entrants not following them however.

Edited by «Cyph3r»

with the exception of ground effects, if you increase downforce by means of wings/flaps/etc you will also increase drag.

top speed on a straight is secondary to average speed along the straight and average speed through the turns.

amazing car. it will be interesting to see the impact on NEMO on 1. class rules 2. attracting even more big dollar builds.

believe me with the increase in mainstream exposure, if any of the Targa or GT guys want to have a crack at a time attack car there will be more big dollar builds entering the field in pro class. though many of them may be purists and think anything not door to door is a lessor endeavor and lets face it, there are limited competitions where cars built to these loose regulations are currently relevent.

I found it a little funny with Chris Eaton's car, he initially thought people who built a car and had a pro driver involved were crazy not to do all the driving themselves (eg how I shared driving with tarzan last year). looks like he changed his mind when the pressure was on as it looks like luffy did most of the driving, which I completely understand. Regardless of what people say, these cars dont drive themselves. it would have taken considerable skill to get that thing around the track in a 1:25. as someone said earlier, that thing looks to handle like an open wheeler with a shell

I spoke to the nemo guys at pauls time attack a couple of weeks ago and they claimed the car was generating 1.5 tonne of down force at only 200 kph.

If that is indeed the case the drag at high speed must be box kite like.

Emotions play a big part in motor racing and we all spend a sh__ load of time and money to be compedative,oviously the scorpion subaru guys[nev] did the right thing contacting the appropriate people[ceo of wtac] months before the event,to get the all clear.

As previously said the rules will be very accurate next year,i am sure.

I was there for the 3 days and i thought the event was great.

It was great to see common sence prevailed and the driver and teams that won there classes.CONGRADULATIONS TO YOU ALL.

See you next year.

stuart

amazing car. it will be interesting to see the impact on NEMO on 1. class rules 2. attracting even more big dollar builds.

What about...

3. Killing the sport because people need to spend so much to get there now and bar has been raised that much higher?

It'll be interesting either way to see how many teams fly out again next year :)