SAU Community

World Time Attack Challenge 2012

handbrake

Thanks ras. Love it. Best thing about it is reliability. Im running 370rwkw, stock engine, stock cams, GT35r, Sotkc LSD, aftermarket 800cc injectors, bigger fuel pump, and power fc. Ibe had this combo for 3.5 years, has been to the track many times, with out *knocks wood* any major issues (Only one issue WTAC last year, silicon hose kept blowing and this year, APR wing mounts broke). On semis its great, but with street tyres its hard to drive lol. Car turns in really good (Compared to say an EVO) but powering out is where its challenging. The Corner speed is good (Im hitting an indicated 180km at Turn 1 EC on the Street tyres). Its not as "chuckable" as an MX5 of course, but its fun to drive and predictable.

I will hopefully enter next year again

Yeh you should, it's an awesome looking car. You see the 7tune video with you lighting up the rear tyres out of turn 8? Love it.

More power doesn't mean a faster time, take Nev's car. I'm sure it's got the HP, but it has the suspension, aero and driver setup as well.

I've got 260KW for example and a bolt on front lip and under-tray.

"Club Sprint" is a strange class imo. Either way I'm glad there is something I can enter and have fun in.

post-59171-0-44754700-1344931445_thumb.jpg

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was not just the flares, for the pople who have not seen this car here is an image of it with the diffuser out the back... has more aero than some open cars

post-36356-0-55723700-1344832591_thumb.jpg

That car should never have been allowed to run in club IMO. MAYBE the diffuser (a BIG HUGE maybe) but the flares on the guards clearly allow the car to run wider tyres than the stocker guards would otherwise permit (the whole point i guess) but again clearly against the spirit of the published club rules relating to guards, as per the WTC website. This sort of thing has put other (front running) competitors in an awkward position, which is unfair and not a good outcome for anyone. Hearsay about how many people may be breaking rules otherwise and whatnot is just stupid and smokescreen. This is clearly crossing the line, agreed in WTA parlance that's a VERY fuzzy line but clearly crossed IMO - and dscussion forums is about opinions like it or lump it.

Anyway what's done is done. A great pity this has disenfranchised at least 3 of the front running cars/drivers, some of who have supported WTAC since day one.

Edited by LSX-438

dam shame, I did have a photo of the MCA silvia looking like it was going to dig the left front rim into the bitumen going into T4 at the rear pit entry. Unfortuntaley it was a tad blury so I must have binned it with out thnking about it, dam. Didnt really get an image of Nemos tyres.

I love the event, was unreal from a spectators/extreme car nuts point of view. Was very bored after the Cybers supposed blown rear diff episode, with the track closed for the best part of an hour, sat in the windy freezin cold at turn two waiting and waiting.

Loved the effort put in by all, loved the noise thr panspeed RX8 made, yes I know its a rotory, but shit bricks, anything that you can hear all the way round the track is cool!! Good job they didnt have to meet the 96bd rulling!!

Loved Big Red, and Russmans, see below, loved MCAs Silvia and of course Suzuki Unders oversteer issue, which seems like it must be costing him at least a second or two per lap!.

Over all just loved the whole event, Heres a coupla pics for you skyline boys!!

IMG_9133.jpg

IMG_9092.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_8405.jpg

one for luck

IMG_8480.jpg

The original Berry 32 had problems on the Thursday test, was in RWD only. lol, 6th gear skids apparently. But it look to have things sorted later on.

The guards are not just about tyre size, it's track width as well. Pushing each side of the car out 40-50mm makes a huge difference.

More annoyed that the carrot topped tard didnt pull off the line when it spewed oil everywhere.

I'm so glad he did coz it meant that we got our gearbox change done and I was out 5 secs before the chequered flag!

Thanks for the Pics.

I'm going to do a write up on our team effort to change a gearbox in 1.5 hrs and go 1.1sec quicker 5 sec before the chequered flag was out. Absolutely epic. Very cool story.

It was a great event, congrats to the organisers. I was there with Mark Berry and his team from Wed lunch time practice. The R32 GTR did have AWD problems on the first couple of days. It was very frustrating but ended up being hydraulic issues. Once it was sorted, the car spoke for itself. Putting down a 1:34.66 was beyond all our expectations (it was basically the same car as last year with 40kw more). We were really just hoping to get into the 1:35's. If you look at last years times, the 1:34.66 would have been first place in open class. Mark said he loved the AWD Controller II, and that it allowed him to find the balance of the car and get the power down early. I was stoked that he loved it so much, having my product tested and proven at the top level feels pretty good.

The R34 GTR was a totally different setup. As Mark had removed the ATTESA out of the car, I had to design a complete new system for it. Anyone who saw the car run last year and then this year saw the results. The car got the power down and we were pulling over 2G lateral (my sensor tapped out at 2G as in the design stage Mark thought we would not see that sort of load).

The car was capable of a low 1:29 but we didn't get to put that down at the event. We were having temperature problems which seem to be due to aero and Mark was running the lower power setting all weekend. Even so, on one lap we had a sector time almost 2sec quicker as Mark headed around the back of the track, the temp rocketed and he had to back out. Our final attempt was stopped short due to the oil down of the Cyber car. The Pro 1 group was cancelled for the clean up, and the track was slippery after that.

Working with Mark Berry and being on his team for the weekend was awesome. Those guys are very professional and worked together as a well oiled team, making me feel welcome from the outset. It was an experience I will not be forgetting for a long time !!

I was speaking to Mark today and he said there are no secrets and that I can post up data logging etc from the event. I will put together a write up and get it up on the web.

Paul Ruzic

hello skylineaustralia people name is hiroaki from japan - like your time attack and happy to view growth popular in australia

in japan time attack very popular growing more than drift - big different regulations and sad to hear bad intention of drivers for 2012 with poor rules now maybe stop internationals competition

NEMO car amazing but japan drivers not within spirit of timeattack rules - this make good teams now not want to come this car never permitted running japan time attack

a lot of talked downforce aero not standard manufacturer - this better than power but also lot of effects on all car performance this is something that japan time attack put focus but also have rules to support - my suggesting australian team not look power look downforce

MCA car funny like hammershark this very faster than looking

advan r34 blacker yes yes - we like to see this in japanese event tiltonevo yes very positive and like fast japanese time attack all driver fun happy supporting each - not challenge of race japanese time attack organising not money only good driving

i like skyline very much - previous r32 hiroaki today drive evo x future might time attack

sorry wrong english hiroaki use translator

^^ as above great to hear from an outsiders point of view. "NEMO car amazing but japan drivers not within spirit of timeattack rules" they look at things differant where us aussies are too competitive. we need to look at what they do more.

rule makers for australian time attack not thinking how poor effecting to competitions - this never happening japan time attack racing

australia driver and car racing growing same fast like japan - my many hiroaki friend in japan like to view more grow talking japan team not make angry stay in rules better everyone looking already bad and not go to australia time attack