SAU Community

World Time Attack Challenge 2012

handbrake

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think back there are always going to be the cars to push the definition of tuning. Thing back to the CT230R. What was that, 4-5 years ago of carbon, widebody stroked carbon goodness. Then you had ex- GT300 based car against tune cars...now an Australian team has gone bonkers and pushed the boundary.

The Tilton car is bonkers fast and more in line with what people commonly accept. But if HKS want to use the tag of building ultimate time attack car then they have to accept that others can out develop-engineer-spend them

aoki-san garage revolution fd still same mazda car - NEMO car wire carbon car no mitsubishi same

garage revolution fd still 980kg - NEMO car much very lighter

agree big canon fibre extra body - big change wire carbon car

I think interpretation bad and I'm sorry?

I believe the revolution rx-7 is more out there than Nemo is.

Revolution rx-7 has no steel structure at all. The entire chassis is gone, its floor is all carbon no steel at all.

a2fb5305.jpg

I think by wire your are referring to tube frame?

Nemo seems to have almost all the original structure there except the body panels.

1a54b709.jpg

I think interpretation bad and I'm sorry?

It's bad but it makes sense what you're saying haha. All good!

It's probably the crazy custom aero on Nemo that tips it over the edge. I just hope that international cars will come back! I heard from some people that play a role in WTAC that some international teams are already planning how they can challenge nemo. That's what we want to see!

I would like to see a bigger definition between open and pro class. If pro class cars want to race their cheque book on aero designs and builds that are worth more than a house then that is great for the fans and that's what the sport needs. Open class need some sort of limits to aero so that the average fan can still see what car it is. Most people would look at nemo and not have a clue what car it is based on!

to paul sorry if my confusing - yes you clear show same maybe hiroaki wrong still believe very yes different

to russell i close friend to japan racing who go to australia time attack - difficult relation and if japan go australian 2013 time attack will not be same racing only different new japan racing

Could always change Pro from Professional to Prototype.

Hiroaki makes a good point in that it has significantly moved away from the true "Tuner car" style event.

Food for thought.

If it werent for the small handfull of cars that looked like they were designed by a kid on crack with a lego set pro class would be bat shit boring. They are given the most track time and use it the least.

Australia didnt start the trend toward outrageous time attack builds but we are doing it better than others atm And if the Jap tuner houses think its out of hand now wait till America comes on line.

We've seen the tip of the iceberg with sierra sierra and what may have been with the ballsnall build Eric Tsu tried to get here in time but as time attack grows over there so will the out there approach to the cars.

Think what you like of the Americans but when they embrace an idea they dont hold back.

This year will turn out to be a watershed for super lap for a couple of reasons.

A...the cudgel will be taken up by others and we will see even more radical cars or they will all surrender and say too hard and too expensive and stay home

B...rules will have to bee clearly defined and enforced in the pro and club classes or the same thing will happen, people who truly embrace the spirit of time attack simply wont play because they cant compete with those prepared to redefine the rule book to suit themselves.

I hope the organisers are savvy enough to read the writing on the wall, They have shown a willingness to listen to their customers in the past so heres hoping they can formulate a set of standards that will leave no room for misinterpretation of whats allowable in what class.

Bring on 2013.

From what I understand, the various world time attack events are seperate events with different rule books? The organisers need to develop standardised rule books for the world time attack series as a whole. It should be the same rules whether it be in Japan, Australia, the USA, or wherever.

And, whole Nemo smashed everyone, there were some insanely fast cars that had lap times that were faster than last year's winning lap time. So teams have the means and tech to compete with Nemo. As has already been said, they can either decide that it's too hard and give up or they can decide to accept the challenge and come back with faster cars. I'm hoping it's the latter.

Hiroaki can you please translate the Japan time attack rules for aero and chassis design. I would be very interested to read them. Hopefully we can use them as a base for time attack here.

That stems from when Time Attack was about tuned road cars, so they used road legal tyres. When they can do Nemo type mods, why bother limiting them to semis? Absolutely pointless.

Edited by hrd-hr30

The idea of a worldwide set of rules was kinda ruined by the yanks adopting the use of slick Tyres. For many of us the main factor in this event is the use of R comp rubber.

So does that mean that there is no world-wide time attack administration? It sounds like each world time attack event is run by administration in the respective countries. Is that about right?

time attack is not that organised. The only reason Australia has a world time attack title is because we beat the yanks to it.

They have a world title for just about everything else on the planet though. :rolleyes:

Just putting this up here.....

Dont know why they didnt bring their kit, but as you can see....plans were definately WELL underway to have similar aero to Nemo.

Im 100% with Roy on this one.

I actually think the aerodynamics on the Cyber evo are far more conservative then NEMO.

I think we should point out that no one here is having a dig at NEMO RACING as they built an awesome car completely to the letter of the rules and won with it.

Nemo seems to have almost all the original structure there except the body panels.

1a54b709.jpg

I dunno what that's a picture of, but its not Nemo unless its a very early "in progress" shot. No B pillars in Nemo, and alot more bar work. Haven't looked at the floor of it - not that interested in it tbh. This thing looks alot more like a rally car with the fabed passenger seat mounts.

Edited by hrd-hr30

why would there be a Worldwide body?

To oversee implementation of global rules. Otherwise the discussion about different rules for different countries and talk of cars being allowed to race in one country but not another is a moot point. There has to be an administration that governs the world time attack series to make rules consistent. If there isn't, then what we have are three separate events with the same name. And if this is what we have, then there shouldn't be any complaints about being competitive in one event but not another: it's a different event with different rules, so conform to the rules and be competitive or forever hold one's peace.