SAU Community

Mobil 1 Engine Oil

Namgun

Hi guys

I bought some Mobil 1 engine oil yesterday for $70 5.5L approx. Mobil 1 EP 5w-30.

His name is nick.

If you live in Sydney you can pick it up otherwise he can ship them out to you.

I was pretty happy with the price do I thought I'd share it.

He has some racing engine oils too, they are more expensive though.

He stocks other brands as well like royal purple.

You can search Mobil 1 on eBay.com.au or call him on

0405 509 621

Mobil 1 0w-40 is $100 here is Sydney for 5L but he sells 6 quarts I think 5.5L?? Approx for $65

I normally used castrol edge 10w-40 but 5w-30 is the recommended engine oil grade on 350z manual, so I thought I'd give it ago.

Plus on Mobil and castrolegde website the recommended oil for VQ35DE is 5w-30

I'm not an engine oil expert so I just followed the guide lines online as well as the 350z manual.

What are u using At the moment?

I tried a 5w30 and found it very noisy/tappety. Once I changed to a 10w40 it was much better. I also tried a 20w50 and found the engine sluggish. Whatever works for your engine but I would have thought, in summer especially, a thicker oil is in order.

• Thanks 1

With respect to scott, the weather shouldn't make much of a difference as the thermostat should keep the engine temp near consistent all year round?

All very interesting, but had to jump in here. I agree in general terms, but the thermostat controls the flow of the water in/out of the radiator to keep the *water* at a consistent temp. There would normally be a correlation between water and oil temp, but it will depend on your driving style as to how closely they influence each other and for how long. Anyway, as we all probably know, the first digit is the cold start viscosity and the second is the viscosity at the benchmark temp (100C?). Can't help but think it's critical to match the second to whatever Nissan say for the motor and not play with it. The first just depends on whether you live in Cairns or Hobart and what season it is...

Anyway, I can't help but think a 5W-30 would be a nice 'sweet spot' for all-year round. 10W-40 would be better at the height of Summer I suspect though. Anyone experimented like Scotty?

Edited by Stuart McK

All very interesting, but had to jump in here. I agree in general terms, but the thermostat controls the flow of the water in/out of the radiator to keep the *water* at a consistent temp. There would normally be a correlation between water and oil temp, but it will depend on your driving style as to how closely they influence each other and for how long. Anyway, as we all probably know, the first digit is the cold start viscosity and the second is the viscosity at the benchmark temp (100C?). Can't help but think it's critical to match the second to whatever Nissan say for the motor and not play with it. The first just depends on whether you live in Cairns or Hobart and what season it is...

Anyway, I can't help but think a 5W-30 would be a nice 'sweet spot' for all-year round. 10W-40 would be better at the height of Summer I suspect though. Anyone experimented like Scotty?

Been using nick for oil since i got my car, his details are in my stick "servicing", and i been using Mobil 1 5W-30. No ticking or anything... Just check it regularly every 2k so make sure your not burning it as its quite thin oil.

I am going FI soon so gonna use thicker oil , oh and the Mobil 1 filter is bigger and better than stock too so hit that up.

Anyway, as we all probably know, the first digit is the cold start viscosity and the second is the viscosity at the benchmark temp (100C?).

Not exactly.. the 2nd number does specify the viscosity at 100degC, but the first number specifies the coldest pour point of the oil, basically the temperature the oil becomes so think, it can no longer be pumped. Generally the lower the pour point temperature the thinner the oil will be at 'cold engine startup' temperatures, but this isn't actually what the ?W is specifying.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been anywhere where it's -18 C, let alone driven a car there. I think 10W X would be fine for most places in Australia according to the above chart.

I love oil discussions - you guys should read the ones that regularly pop up on the Stagea forum.

^^ Agreed, 10W-X won't be a problem for almost anywhere in Aust. Personally I would still stick with 5W30, just because Nissan recommend this weight of oil for all temperature ranges, and just suggests heavier oil 'may' be used in warmer climates.

Japan can get some quite hot summers, so it is not like they haven't allowed for warm climates with their recommendations.

+1 for Nick... Cant beat his prices. And the Mobile EP models he sells dont even exist here in Aust.

In Australian weather unless you live up in the snowy mountains, the first indicator number 5W or 10W is probably the least of your worries. It wont make much of a difference although I would stick with Nissans reccomendation of 5W-30. You should pay attention to the second number because this will indicate the threshold (or close to) of what temperature the oils viscosity starts to break down.

So if you drive your car hard, then go with the 10W-40 (or higher) as it would be a tougher oil. But this doesnt necessarily mean its better for your engine as thicker oils obviously doesnt flow\move as quick as thinner ones which the VQ35 might need hence Nissans recommendation of 5W-30.

Edited by Bourbon Boy

Yes, your right... And so am I.

Oil Viscosity deteriorates the higher the temperature.

So the higher value of the 2nd number, the better the viscosity is of that oil at 100 degrees.

Sorry, maybe I went into to it too much. lol :P

Maybe we are just confusing terms? In my understanding when oil get so hot it starts to break down (deteriorate), it means the oil is failing, it damages the oil and can cause engine damage. I would expect this would be somewhere beyond 200degC..

I am assuming you just mean the oil thins as he heats up? the oil viscosity will continue to reduce as the oil heats beyond 100degC, but I wouldn't classify that as 'deteriorating'.

A little clarity required here.

The first number is the viscosity when cold i.e at cold start. eg 5 weight or 10 weight. Yes thats what the W is for.

The second number is the viscocity at operating temperature eg 30 weight or 40 weight.

So it depends on how "thick" you want your oil at start up and op temp. depending on environment & driving conditions.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the point where oil breaks down LOL.

I'll also let you guys in on a lil secret which has prob been long forgotten.

GW Sougi 6000 if still available is only $80 for 5 litres of pure synthetic and comparable to Royal Purple / Motul etc etc

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/22458-the-goods-on-oils/page__pid__6169165__st__2460#entry6169165

Edited by mosoto

Sougin 6000 has been discontinued for ages now.:down:

Apparently Syn X 6000 (Sougi 6000 replacement) is available now, unsure of pricing though.

A little clarity required here.

The first number is the viscosity when cold i.e at cold start. eg 5 weight or 10 weight. Yes thats what the W is for.

The second number is the viscocity at operating temperature eg 30 weight or 40 weight.

So it depends on how "thick" you want your oil at start up and op temp. depending on environment & driving conditions.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the point where oil breaks down LOL.

yes.gif

Oh, and the Sougi S6000 is long gone, but I hear a replacement (X-6000 or something) is just becoming available?

Whilst I tried them on my VQ25det, I went through just about everything and felt that 10w40 was the best feeling... and I think I'll leave it there (re: Commsman's comment about oil discussion in the Stagea section rolleyes.gif)