SAU Community

Working at JUN for 2 weeks, need some action...

topi

Hey!

Im an English student and ive managed to get myself a working holiday at JUN racing, which im real happy about!

I know a bloke in Japan that owns an R32 GTR and has offered to take me around the C1 :) .

The hotel ill be staying in is -

Kichizyouzi Daiichi Hotel

Post code 180-004

2-4-14 Honchou Kichizyouzi Musashino City

Tel 0422 21 4411

I dont suppose any of you live or know anything of this area? I saw Rezz lives in Japan but I dont think its around here.The hotel is about 13km from Tokyo ive been told.

I really wanna experience some street racing and drifting while im over, and various people have given me shopping lists for car parts so I want to find a Crystal, SuperAutobac, Yellow Hat etc.

Are the groups of people that hang around showing their cars off freindly? I mean, im not a big guy and will be wandering around not having a clue whats going on. Is it ok to walk upto them and ask stupid questions in crappy attempts at speking Japanese?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greeting to my fellow Brit :D:( :(

Congrats on being able to secure some work at JUN! :) I'm about 90 minutes drive from Tokyo, in Yamanashi. AFAIK non of the regular Japanese residents on here, with the exception of Akeenan (I believe), live near the Tokyo area. Not to worry since your bound to meet a fair few foreigners in Tokyo who might be able to point you in the right direction. There loads of info contained with the various threads in the Japan section, a look at the TAS '04 thread will help with an idea of where to look for places like Autobacs and Crystal.

The best place to check out cars is Daikoku, near the waterfront in Yokohama. Ideally you should try and get a rental car while you're out there, though you could use a taxi which would be easier in some cases.

Good luck!

Dave (ex Derby resident :()

Thanks Dave! Im in Leicester, not far from Derby. To be honest, I cant wait to get out if you know what I mean.

I would rent a car but I have no licence.

I could do with a overveiw map of Japan really as I dont really know where these place names are.

If you dont mind me asking, why did you move to Japan Dave?

If you dont mind me asking, why did you move to Japan Dave?

'cause it's better than England :(:D:(

Nah seriously, IMHO it is. :( I came out here for a vacation, decided it was about the coolest place on the planet to be and decided not to go home. :)

When are you coming to Japan? Your friend with the GTR might be able to give you a general idea of where places are. The threads I suggested earlier also have information on the main attractions (car wise) and getting to them isn't that difficult. There are bound to be loads of places to see cars parked up in the Tokyo area, though I'm not familar with them. The best place by far is the Daikoku parking area, which is in Yokohama, not too far from Tokyo. You could probably take a taxi out there (which would cost a fair bit) or maybe even a train and spend the night in Yokohama. There are a couple of places of interest in Yokohama, Zele-International with their impressive selection of used GTR's being one of them.

Another possibility would be the guys at JUN, they're bound to know where all the best places are and I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving you a tour if ya asks nice. :(

Most Japanese are very friendly and will try and answer your questions no matter how poor your Japanese speaking ability is.

Im coming out in October. I know what you mean about Japan being better. This will be my first time in Japan and I KNOW i will love it. My plan is to work fo a place like JUN in the future.

As you say, the guys a JUN will most likely know what im after, but im trying to make sure im not sitting in my hotel bored aafter paying so much to come out to Japan!

My dads just imported an MR2 turbo from Japan so ill be needing to buy a suitcase to bring back the stuff hes sent me to buy :).

C1 run all sorted now, thats the stuff :cheers:

Just for backup incase no one I speak too is interested, where are the likely places to look for car action.

I have various videos of drifting in industrial estates, is that kind of area likely to be interesting? If so, when?

Haha, I doubt id be able to get em much cheaper, but ill see what I can lay my hands on. Im already on a mission for some camshafts.

To be honest, I cant belive it myself! I made up a kinda cheesey e-mail and sent it off to a bunch of Jap companys, expecting to get nowhere.

After about 6 refusals and a few not replying, JUN mailed me saying they would take me on as long as I payed for myself :P

I cant wait.

Its only like a work experience job. I basicaly emailed what I wanted and what experience I have. As for mechanically qualified, nope. I havnt gotten to the stage in my education that I can get qualifications on paper for that kind of thing. But ive done a few things in my time. Im rebuilding a classic mini now. :P

Alot of people were taking the p!ss at first, saying it was a stupid idea. Well I hope they enjoy their work experience at the local supermarket, ha.

I dont think they accepted me for my skill, I reckon this was jsut the first English studant wanting to come to JUN so im a bit of a novelty. The local education board dont liek the idea though, I might have to mark it down as a holiday :)

• 3 months later...

Update:

Well Junichi Tanaka (hes the boss guy I think) has told me not to book a hotel, I can stay at his house with his family! And his son graduated from a masters degree in England so can obviously speak english :D.

Alot of money saved, but it could make the all night drift and various runs a bit sketchy.

Oh and the guy with the GTR that offered to take me around the C1, lost his licence this week for 150days. 'Very big speeding offence' :( nut case.

So now I need to find some gifts for Mr.Tanaka and his family, any ideas?

Geez topi, have a good time for all of us! You lucky bugger...

If I were you, I'd buy some very "localized gifts" from your particular area, not the bog standard English breakfast tea bags or Union jack socks... more like something the old guy could use... drink coasters with (insert your town here) pics on them or an ashtray if he smokes, tea towels for the lady of the house, picture frames... you know, things they can use.

I'm sure the other guys have better ideas.

For good pressies, go to your nearest dodgy tourism shop, go nuts... like Rezz suggested, coasters, teatowels, spoons, shirts, a good book on the history of where you come from (even though it'll be in english, they'll still appreciate it as an 'exchange of culture')... any local candy/sweets/lollies, or perhaps a good (great) photo of your town, nicely framed with an engraved thingy with the year, towns name, your name, etc. A bit boring, but it'd be different, and I get the feeling they'd love that sort of thing.

Just remember not to buy too much... one well-selected and thought-out present will beat a mass of average stuff, every time.

Hmmmm... if you've got another contact at Jun, talk to them quietly about what the boss likes, and the number and age of family members. Candy for kids, etc. Get a good bottle of Glenfiddich at the airport, if he's a scotch drinker, or perhaps some *good* cigars (since 60% of people in japan smoke)... might be a bit exxy, but he's saving you the price of hotel rooms, and taking you under his wing. Worth every penny for a decent single malt, if you ask me. :P

If you *do* get a bottle of something, get it engraved. Small idea that not many people seem to do, but it looks great. I've got a bottle of Walker black label from my 21st that I can't bring myself to open because a very good/dear friend of mine got it engraved for me.

Anyway, i've rabbited on enough. :P