SAU Community

I Stupidly Bought Repairable Write Off Unknowingly

He said his car was over 20k. So must have been a fair hit for them to write it off.

that doesn't mean the insurance company valued it at that. might've been worth 10 to 15k before it got a nice new paint job, etc.

and if you read my above post where i talked about the damage to my mothers car, it was a 2000 model corolla. the damage was all in one small area and the repair bill was $16,000.

No sympathy from me. Yes the laws are wrong concerning money owing upon a motor vehicle, hence why you do a REVS check.

However, unfortunately it's buyer beware. When you buy a motor vehicle, especially a performance or luxury one, you should be having it checked thoroughly on a hoist.

Look at the bright side of things - at least it's been repaired correctly and passed inspection for registration.....

No sympathy from me. Yes the laws are wrong concerning money owing upon a motor vehicle, hence why you do a REVS check.

However, unfortunately it's buyer beware. When you buy a motor vehicle, especially a performance or luxury one, you should be having it checked thoroughly on a hoist.

Look at the bright side of things - at least it's been repaired correctly and passed inspection for registration.....

REVS is being replaced by DEVA. > Going National

Umm, just wondering if you guys want me to do a thread on this?

He said his car was over 20k. So must have been a fair hit for them to write it off.

Not necessarily, my Stagea was insured for more than that when it was written off.

Had bumper, bonnet, passenger side headlight and quarter panel damage, plus the steering rack was off centre after the accident.

Was written off because it was too difficult to get the same parts/panels I had on it.

im curious..do tell.

most of the cheaper imports are light wrecks with frontals,rear hits and light side hits. before the gov't started cleaning up the markets that was the only real way to make money quickly. buy a car for 100kyen get it here , fix it , mod it then sell it.

the 32 that I own went throuugh that exact process.. (you are none the wiser.)

most of the light damage cars in pickles,manheim et al are bought by people that do back yard jobs on them. I have been privy to 4-5 myself where they had electrical problems during fixup.

point being here, if you think something is up - get an external inspection. in my case if the car is an auto the first thing I pull on it when looking is the trans fluid stick. if that is a dark brown I walk off.

This repairable Write-off list is a joke....

There is nothing wrong with your car, as a matter of fact it probably has a lot of newer parts on it than most.

Insurance Accesser's are putting cars on that god damn list for no good reason.

There are plenty of dodgy cars that get patched up all the time and people will never know about it or ever be put on the list. ( be glad your in the know)

On the plus side yours has been recognized as such and will be repaired and inspected to be as good as new.

get over it people..... next time do a v-check and if repairable write-off comes up re-negotiate the price to favour you.

• 4 years later...

Which insurance companies insure repairable write off? I'm curious to kniw if they charge like a wounded bull or refuse to insure.

If the car's are repaired by a good smash repairer and inspected I don't see the issue in buying a repairable write off, guess it's just knowing if the work done was decent and nit dodgy.

Which insurance companies insure repairable write off? I'm curious to kniw if they charge like a wounded bull or refuse to insure.

If the car's are repaired by a good smash repairer and inspected I don't see the issue in buying a repairable write off, guess it's just knowing if the work done was decent and nit dodgy.

ive never been through the process but if the car passes a RWC and gets re-registered, then it should be all good?

When insurance asks "is there any existing damage?" and the answer is actually no, then that should be it?

I bought a motorbike as a registerable wreck..........motor is fine, frame was Ok but trued anyway. I had to buy headlight and gaurds and seat etc and am using wheels from another model but its going to be a good bike once done. So not all registerable wrecks are a disaster.

the only thing the OP has to complain about is he got charged full and not a discount price!!!

in nsw, it's the rms that won't let registration complete due to being a repairable write off.

I believe they changed the laws due to dodgy workmanship, and inspections.

Try finding a straight 180sx be it local or recently imported. 99% of them would have taken a hit at some point. Geeeez don't mention to the OP about doing a online Japanese speedo check. So what can be learned from this thread? Do your homework & know your product. Be a bad student, pay someone else to do your homework.

You must have dug hard for this thread. From 2012

This post is for you people who have no foresight.

I find it ridiculous that people don't type their own receipt and get the seller to sign it with a witness. In that same piece of paper it should have said xxxk's are true, no accident history of their knowledge, time and date because of fines and speed cameras, etc