SAU Community

Jays Rb25 R32 Track Day Build

Clandestine

Hey guys

Took delivery of a new 1989 gts-t R32 skyline on Saturday afternoon which I've been looking into over the last few weeks, and zoidbergmerc kind of talked me into the idea of putting up a build thread. The guy who I bought it off (Ray, probably known by some of you) had spent a chunk of money on the car before running into a few issues and the car never being finished, it has been sitting around for the past two years or so and he finally decided to sell. It has most of the parts which I would normally look at putting in my own car, luckily someone else footed the bill for buying/installing it all ;)

The car is currently not running, and it ran out of rego several years ago. My mechanic seems to think getting SI rego is a possibility, I have no idea about this but SI would be fantastic to avoid towing it everywhere ;) (anyone on here have any idea what would be required for this?)

The idea of the car is to get into more hill climbs, time trials, motorkhana and as many track days as possible. Maybe in a few years getting into super series once I have gotten my skills up to a decent level and the car is stable. Hoping for a decent chunk of midrange torque to help around the track, not overly interested in peak output figures, but we'll see how the tuning goes for the car.

Really interested to hear input from you guys, possible weak points, tips and thoughts. I have no idea what I'm doing, so if it sounds stupid there's a high likelihood it is ;) This is a learning experience and as I find things out I'll post back here for the expansion of the internetz.

What's needed (as far as I know/can see)

Wastegate (thinking Tial 44mm, thoughts?)

Custom front/dump pipe to suit high mount turbo placement

Some hoses and gaskets need to be replaced

Some intercooler piping to be cleaned up/finished off

Some work to get everything checked over and bolted in

Engine & Drivetrain

Fully built RB25DET, GTR valve springs, JE pistons etc

RB25 Gearbox

Tomei Poncams

Tomei adjustable cam gears

GT3076r turbo

6Boost exhaust manifold

Custom forward facing plenum

Splitfire Coilpacks (Thought these had been stolen months ago, but were found wrapped in plastic in the boot :D )

Power FC w/ hand controller

HKS Super Drager Exhaust

Z32 Air Flow Meter (mounted after FMIC)

Nismo 600cc injectors

BFI Billet fuel rail

Bosch External fuel system mounted in boot, Walbro intank

NPC Clutch

Sard fuel regulator

Earls oil cooler

Race Radiators aluminium radiator

GReddy radiator breather tank

Hybrid FMIC

K&N Pod Filter

AZCustom catch can

Driveshaft is upgraded to shaft from VL turbo (or something?)

Brakes, Handling & Suspension

Front R34 GTR Brembos w/ 2 piece slotted rotors (recently rebuilt)

Rear Standard R32 brakes

Maltech braided lines

Whiteline springs

Whiteline bushes

Whiteline front and rear sway bars

Bilstein suspension (SAU Sydneykid valved)

Front & rear strut braces

Hicas delete installed

18x8.5 fronts

18x9.5 rears

Standard R32 LSD (I'm thinking I may shim the hell out of this for the time being, have to see how it holds up)

Interior & Exterior

Velo drivers seat

Monza 6pt Racing Harness (FIA approved until 2014, but not sure if this is okay for CAMS? Seems cheap..?)

AZCustom full welded Roll Cage

Stripped & painted interior (except dash, door trims & centre console)

Sealed battery mounted in boot

GTR Bonnet & Grill

Original Ad: http://tas.gumtree.c...QAdIdZ344103907

post-67169-0-98892900-1327313366_thumb.jpg

post-67169-0-21146600-1327313320_thumb.jpg

post-67169-0-22061600-1327313338_thumb.jpg

post-67169-0-16545900-1327313308_thumb.jpg

post-67169-0-61693700-1327313349_thumb.jpg

post-67169-0-27621200-1327313365_thumb.jpg

Thoughts? Ideas? :)

Jay

Shit yeah nice work Jay, that will be a weapon! When you hoping to have it ready for the track?

Regarding the SI rego. have a look here transport.tas.gov.au/registration_information_tas/conditional__special_interest_vehicle_registration For any sort of rego. you will have to get the modifications engineered before an AIS will do a roadworthy. If you want any more info. on getting it engineered I can help to some degree, or at least point you in the right direction.

Razor's old car, good buy.

regarding rego, as far as I'm aware the only SI rego you can apply for would be race rally, which mean the car has to be set up to cams spec and log booked with a FIA approved cage. then you can drive it to and from events and workshops etc.

other than that, ummmmm its a tow job.

Dang man where was this 2 years ago when I was looking for a 25/26 gtst! Nice buy man looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Good luck with it and hope to see it on the track when mines out there.

Razor's old car, good buy.

regarding rego, as far as I'm aware the only SI rego you can apply for would be race rally, which mean the car has to be set up to cams spec and log booked with a FIA approved cage. then you can drive it to and from events and workshops etc.

other than that, ummmmm its a tow job.

yup, i've been looking into it, it's classed as "tarmac rally" and requires cage log book from what i've read.

For SI rego, you will need

Cams licence

Cams Log book (you will need to get your Cams licence first, then apply for your log book, can take a month or so..)

another car with full rego in your name, this is to avoid people using an SI regoed car as a daily driver

Then you send all your paper work into transport, you wait to be approved can take 6-8 weeks

then you do your regular Rego inspection, you pay your $220 for 12 months rego and they give you an

SI log, and you have 52 day's you can drive your car per year..

one last thing SI rego is NOT transferable, so if you sell the car you have to cash in the rego..

ray rays old car, nice car that , he has spent some bikkies on it , i'm pretty sure the cage is cams spec as he was going to use it for the same thing as you . SI rego is as much hassle as normal rego , if i were you i'd be talking to an engineer about a mod plate (i wouldn't be suprised if ray had already done so) . imo if you're not driving it on the road your better off just getting a trailer though (except then you can't really do hill climbs)

oh and trustr32 , it was in the guys shed gathering dustpinch.gif

Edited by toffy

Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback, wasn't sure on SI but reading the regulations last night where it basically yelled "RALLY" every second word I'm even less sure I could use this for what I want... Does anyone know of anyone who actually has SI on something that isn't raced in actual rally's? Burgz32 is your car SI plated? The cage is CAMS spec, and should be fine for any inspections as far as I'm aware.

Towing isn't too much of an issue, and if I head up to symmons or further I would be towing it, but I would jump at the chance of registration if possible as getting a trailer to take it from/to a mechanics or spur of the moment track days could be a complete pain. That being said, I don't want to jump through all the hoops to get it registered (and spend a heap of money doing it) and then be told at the last moment that it wont pass because of something I'm definitely not changing (i.e. the cage).

I hope to get it to the track as soon as possible, I want to work out what actually needs to be improved before spending much money on it. Timing all depends on my mechanic as I don't trust myself to plug it all back in in the right order. Although it looks simple as pie, I've heard of enough DIY jobs blowing up engines that it has put me off that part at least. Hopefully sometime in the next two months, I have money sitting here ready to be spent on it, I'm just waiting on people now.

Found something interesting with the tonight, when I bought the car the clutch pedal had literally no resistance. With my limited knowledge I've been looking into random bits and pieces on the car that I know wont screw anything up, so had a quick look at this. After poking around in the engine bay for a bit I jumped under the car and moved the clutch pedal myself, and was rewarded with a spray of oil right next to my head. After looking around trying to work out where the hell it was coming from I realised that it was coming from right up near the clutch fluid reservoir, and that the line which runs down to the clutch had actually been unscrewed and was just flopping around up there. That isn't the interesting part, the interesting part is that I had noticed what appeared to be the bottom of a loose braided brake line while I was under the car. This brake line had been screwed into the bottom of the clutch fluid reservoir and was just hanging there. I swapped the lines back over and the splurting of fluid has stopped, and the brake line is off the car.

Anyone have any idea why this would be there?? I can't think of any logical reason, but there's always the possibility I'm an idiot. I double checked the brake lines and they're all the same braided lines, so I'm not sure what a fifth would be used for?

pics help . remember , this car hasn't been on the road in at least 5 years, every nut and bolt needs the once over :thumbsup:

Will grab some pics tonight and shove them up ;) The more I look at the car the more I see needs to be plugged in, not really much more work to get it all back together if you know what's going on, but I'm far from certain on this as I've never touched half of these things before so it would take me forever.

I ended up opening the bonnet to my R33 to make sure I was putting this line back to the right area, and there wasn't a sneaky fifth wheel brake I was forgetting about :thumbsup:

Edited by Clandestine

My car isn't SI'd at the moment mate, have started the paper work on it..

your biggest drama will be your cams log book, you'll need to get the cage inspected, and fill in your ROP form ( Roll Over Protcetion),

which means a trip to see Steve Caplice in at Fogarty Automotive, before that jump on the Cams website and see if you Cage measure's up to it requriments,

in terms of Tube size and placement..

Couple of boy's at work have SI'd there Tarmac rally rocket's, they had cams Log book's already, and it took 2 months for the transport paper work to go through..

I've been told SPG are no more.

your cage looks like a YT cage, with the new CAMS regs you need a cross bar in the roof.

I just recieved my log book, cost $60 for inspection, and $80 for cams to give me a book and cage sticker.

Edited by sav man

I've been told SPG are no more.

SPG opened with new owners about a month or so ago in Kingston, have had a few quotes on prices from them :)

I'll have to check out the cage documents when I get home and see exactly what is going on, if I have to take it back to AZ for a few more bars that's no issue :)

If you're happy to spend the time/money then SI rego would be well worth it, it would make things so much easier. If I were you I'd start making enquiries about getting a mod plate first, as Toffy said, because without that you won't get any sort of rego. Someone already mentioned Stephen Caplice, he did the report for mine for the RB25, he would probably be able to give you some more info. on getting the SI rego as well.

If you're happy to spend the time/money then SI rego would be well worth it, it would make things so much easier. If I were you I'd start making enquiries about getting a mod plate first, as Toffy said, because without that you won't get any sort of rego. Someone already mentioned Stephen Caplice, he did the report for mine for the RB25, he would probably be able to give you some more info. on getting the SI rego as well.

Steve's a good bloke and probably has the answers to all my questions, will have to drop in and see him at some point next week.

Dang man where was this 2 years ago when I was looking for a 25/26 gtst! Nice buy man looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Good luck with it and hope to see it on the track when mines out there.

good thing it wasnt, look what youve got now

good thing it wasnt, look what youve got now

Lol yeah I certainly cant complain........... well actually I can it's still not on the damn road! Oh well only 1 way to remedy that and thats spend all Australia day working on it lol.

pics help

This

post-67169-0-09981800-1327543233_thumb.jpg

Was plugged in to the clutch fluid reservoir (see marking in red where I've replaced with other line)

post-67169-0-67924700-1327543245_thumb.jpg

All I can think is that it was screwed in to help drain the reservoir away from other parts in the engine, anyone have any other ideas? Would hate for it to be some random workaround which was halfway through, and I've just disconnected it :P