SAU Community

Jays Rb25 R32 Track Day Build

Clandestine

This

post-67169-0-09981800-1327543233_thumb.jpg

Was plugged in to the clutch fluid reservoir (see marking in red where I've replaced with other line)

post-67169-0-67924700-1327543245_thumb.jpg

All I can think is that it was screwed in to help drain the reservoir away from other parts in the engine, anyone have any other ideas? Would hate for it to be some random workaround which was halfway through, and I've just disconnected it :P

Tha'd be your clutch master to slave cyl hydralic line...

I stopped in on Steve Caplice for a chat yesterday afternoon, and as savman said I need a few extra bars to meet current regulations for rally, which is what I need if I'm going for SI. As far as licences are concerned I'd need a clubman rally licence ($160), and then after log booking I can apply to transport for SI as a rally car.

I need some cross braces on the roof, as currently there's a single bar running down the centre. I have a feeling these could be pretty tricky/expensive to add in.

post-67169-0-14243300-1328089212_thumb.jpg

One I hadn't noticed but Steve brought up is the need for pillar reinforcements, as there's more than 200mm horizontally between the top of my cage and the rear (see below). I'm assuming these will be relatively straightforward to add in, but will have to talk to someone who has built a cage first.

post-67169-0-86237500-1328089212_thumb.jpg

Other than that I believe it all meets standards :)

Still tossing up whether or not it is worth it, for longer trips I would be towing anyway and I need to work out exactly how hard (and expensive) it will be to add the extra bars in. As the cage is already welded into the car and is pretty close to the edges getting full welds could be difficult?

He also said that as long as the cage meets standards that's the main thing they care about for cams, you may need to change a few things (he mentioned tyres) for the inspection,but engine, turbo, fixed position seats etc. don't matter as long as they're safe. I was half expecting that as it would be registered as a rally car I may need to downsize turbo/engine etc to meet rally standards, but he said that wasn't the case :)

I keep losing this document, so I'm shoving it here so I can come back and find it ;)

http://www.camsmanua...le_J_2012-1.pdf

Will add the current cage specs up in a few days for you guys to have a look at :)

yeah, since Jan 1st this year, cages must comply within FIA specs for log book registration. i applied for my log book mid-end of december before the cut off so i didn't need the extra bars (will get them at a later stage though) most of the changes are roof cross bar, a pillar bracers and 2 main hoop or rear leg cross bars i think, i leave that fiddly work up to my mechanic lol.

does anyone know if SI plates have to pass standard testing? eg: cat, charcoal canister, etc. what bout a front splitter or canards? they acceptable on SI rego if going to track?

atm with my car how it is, im gutted i wont make collinsvale this year :'(

does anyone know if SI plates have to pass standard testing? eg: cat, charcoal canister, etc. what bout a front splitter or canards? they acceptable on SI rego if going to track?

According to the DIER website it has to be taken to an AIS for inspection so I would assume normal roadworthy conditions apply.

According to the DIER website it has to be taken to an AIS for inspection so I would assume normal roadworthy conditions apply.

I believe cages in general go against what would be considered roadworthy, I'm not sure where it stops though. He said that the fixed position seats were fine (bolt positions welded to the floor) and I believe rails are required for a normal inspection?

You will need a mod plate for rego , not that hard to get and insurance will cover your car . If i were you i would register it as a 2 seater with cage , the turbo kit is what will need the plate as they came out with rb25

You will need a mod plate for rego , not that hard to get and insurance will cover your car . If i were you i would register it as a 2 seater with cage , the turbo kit is what will need the plate as they came out with rb25

You sure he won't need the RB25 on the plate as well? I had to for mine..

Ah well I guess they'll soon tell him once he submits the modification application form.

r32's did come with an na rb25... so it's just the turbo that needs to be on the application, as Toff said.

I hadn't heard of this until a few months ago when I was trundling through DJRIFT's R32 build thread (never finished it, have to get back to that for some ideas as it seems to be a pretty awesome car), NA RB25's in R32 are pretty rare from what I gather.

Mod plates for the engine/turbo (depending on what I need) is a bridge I'll cross when I come to it, as it's a simple conversion (no modifications to the engine mounts etc) I have been told there is no trouble with this at all. I'm not certain on other things such as whether a cat is needed, though Steve didn't mention it he didn't specifically say that it was fine to skip one. I need to get a custom front/dump pipe made up, but I'm assuming it will just be made to fit with a cat/decat in place.

Small update: I received my GTR bonnet latch (so my bonnet will actually stay down now, rather than just sit there). I didn't realise before buying this car but the GTR bonnet latch is slightly further back, so you can't interchange the bonnets without either modifying the stock latch (which I've heard can be dodgy) or swapping for the correct latch.

While I was there, I test mounted the GTR grill and the front bar which has been lazing around in my shed.

post-67169-0-37391900-1328178342_thumb.jpgpost-67169-0-42516300-1328178345_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of test mounting the manifold & turbo also ;)

post-67169-0-76184200-1328178349_thumb.jpg

Starting to look more like a finished car, my mechanic is coming around on Saturday to give me some pointers on work I can do myself and not tard up completely and work out what needs to be completed afterward. Getting closer to the track laugh.gif

You definatly need a saintz bar in a R32 (the extra one in the a piller), the front of the cage will collapse if you go over.

I need to look into pricing for this but I think I would have this done even if I don't go for SI. Looking at the cage design it looks like an obvious weak point and with my limited welding knowledge it looks much easier to get in than the roof bars.

Thanks for the info :)

Hey Guys

Im Jack Current manager of SPG ;)

As much as id love to I unfortunately don't own SPG but definately treat it like I do,

We are still running and have moved to kingston to be closer to Peter :P

Flick me a Pm if you like for any requests or add us on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/SPGarage

also check out our webstore http://www.spgarage.com.au/

You definatly need a saintz bar in a R32 (the extra one in the a piller), the front of the cage will collapse if you go over.

not just need Savman,have to have that bar is now compulsory..

as was mentioned, any car where the base of the front leg is more than 200mm from the bend at the top of the screen it must be fitted.

this is measured along the the sill, measure from your front leg back along the seal 200mm if that top bend is further than 200mm you MUST have the bar..

the double roof bar is only needed if you plan to have a passanger, other changes are with the cross in the hoop, you used to get

away with a cross between the rear leg's, and a diagonal in the hoop, but now you need a cross between you rear legs and a cross in the hoop..

i spent 2 weeks of back and forth email's to get exact wording on cage design, as parts of the cams manual contradict other parts!!!

and as Toffy said you could get a MOD plate, but to do that you need removable intrution bar's, and it's a little to late for that now...

and as Toffy said you could get a MOD plate, but to do that you need removable intrution bar's, and it's a little to late for that now...

I own a hacksaw and an underdeveloped sense of what is right in the world, it's never too late for stupidity ;)

Thanks for the info mate, I think because rally generally requires a navigator the rally standard requires the extra roof bars? (but I could be completely and utterly wrong). I think the Sainz bars are also only required for rally also? The document is long and a little ridiculous, seems very easy to miss something, which could cost a fortune later on down the line... I think I'll drop in on Steve again at some point before I get the cage done to be sure, as he will be the one approving it :)