2012 Nsw Hillclimb Champs Q&a + Results

R32 Stuart

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now sure what you mean by career path, but come play.

Ive never done an official hill climb before and I'm just about to finish a car to come play in the state champs and some other local events.

Don't be scared!

PS the only reason Neil hasn't been bitten by anyone at a state champ meet yet is because he's the one that bites :P

Now sure what you mean by career path, but come play.

Ive never done an official hill climb before and I'm just about to finish a car to come play in the state champs and some other local events.

Don't be scared!

PS the only reason Neil hasn't been bitten by anyone at a state champ meet yet is because he's the one that bites :P

http://www.wit.tafensw.edu.au/industries/transport-automotive/motorsport

Club and state are the same same, as far as 95% of the competitors go, there is heaps of different venues and clubs - you will find you have more issues with clubs and organisations than what you will have with any competitor.

As far as what class and level you wish to run, thats your own personal choice, we started in Type SV, after a couple of years moved to Sports Sedan and then of late 2A Sports, this was done based on our progress and results and on a personal choice - we can still run SV or in Sports Sedans.

The car is still rego'd and on R-Spec Tyres, this year we mixed between Kumho and Yoky's and all tyres used were over 12 months old for this years Championship, even running double entered. (must say there is only air left now)

If anyone saw the car at King Edward Park Hillclimb, I was a second off my PB, caught up on some drifting practice. Karen has not ran there since 2001, (then in her fathers LC Torana) - we were unhappy with the breakage of a castor rod on Karen's last run, and dissapointed we didn't put new tyres on for the event - but that was my fault because we used that budget last week in Sports Sedan (AU tyres) - there was heaps of non championship competitors, first timers and long timers, I am quite sure everyone enjoyed their weekend.

As far as Round 9 goes, Karen got fastest lady & 2nd in class (registered competitor), I got fastest tintop and 1st in class, 3rd Outright.

And as far as fun factor, we helped out more than 10 people from loans of jump packs, to wheel alignments, thottle linkage repairs, nuts and bolts - even the BBQ got borrowed - you can even do this at state Sports Sedan Championships (does cost a bit more) even at national level, you will only back what you put in, same as every other day !!!

Stu we saw you driving the R33 at Newcastle it looked great coming out of the 2nd or 3rd last turn (hair pin) that late apex really worked well.

Bugger about the caster rods.

What do you think about Huntley Stuart,im a local but a bit scared to run a nice street car up that wild road.Used to build peter gumleys extractors and muffflers and he tried to talk me into it but ive seen heaps of good street cars trashed there!Those top esses are mad!Wish Wollongong would support motorsports,bit of a joke really considering the size of the city.

Matthew, have you ever driven up Huntley?

It's a GREAT piece of road, just respect it, if you don't want to trash the street car, don't go 10/10ths! Back it off a notch.

Any hill climb track can and will bite and destroy a car. Actually, any race track for that matter. Look at the cars that turn sideways at WSID, cars into walls at EC etc.

I'm hoping to be out there early next year at Huntley for a proper race event so I can finally go up it under race conditions and at race pace!

PS: I'm a local too.

Hi Matthew - Matt's got the best plan don't go 10/10ths - my thoughts - most tracks have there own little issues as far as safety, bumps, trees, concrete etc but personal opinion with regards to Dapto - first time there I hated it - took all day to get two runs in and not less than 6 really nice cars got trailered home, but the cars or the track aren't to blame - whatever the other excuses were !!

Feel your way into it and if your are happy - go for it - but keep in mind you get 4 to 6 runs - first run or so have a good look and feel, we find it is better to work into it, than work on it (the car)

And yes Karen and I both like the track now, but it is the same as all - time. Time to learn it, what time you want to do, etc etc 10/10ths normally ends in tears not trophy.

Cheers

Stuart

Stu we saw you driving the R33 at Newcastle it looked great coming out of the 2nd or 3rd last turn (hair pin) that late apex really worked well. Bugger about the caster rods.

Thanks Ryan, seriously if you run this style of rod, check inside of forward bolt hole for cracks. We have gone to HFM brand rod (as this older tie rod failed on our R32, with the same result - new guard, skirt, plastic inner guard, drive shaft - as you know all new is not cheap, but I suppose have been lucky they failed where they did) - let you know how they go.

Back to hair pin, still didn't get my record time - tyres were 12 months old and a bit over it - but by coming into hairpin late and going back to 1st gear was a second quicker than the run I did in second gear through there.

If anyone needs intercooler hoses (R32 or R33) try car craze - half the price of most others, and good quick service.

Also thank Prestige Motorsport for front guard and plastics (new), also good quick postage and service, CV Joints Australia for brand new drive shaft right front overnight, cheaper than used, and as always SSS Automotive.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

We competed in the Aussie Hillclimb Championships 4/11/12 - Karen won 2A Sports in R33 and set a PB time, Neil wasn't far behind in the same class and I in the AU3, ended up with class win and Fastest Tintop - congrats to all

Here's an incar running the Falcon, track temp wasn't anywhere near what we were hoping, my tyres were 2 races old - didn't get to PB time set last December but did what we went for

Cheers Karen & Stuart

Good work on the wins Stuart.

The Ford looked VERY menacing coming up and over the top of the mountain (And sounded great too!)

PS: I told Neil that Karen is beating him because she has bigger balls and was more committed over the top :P

Hopefully I can change ranks from Pit Crew soon and join you all next year at state champs in my own car.

Hey Stuart,just watched the sports sedan meeting at Phillip Island from a few months ago,wow fast cars,just a point to prove to my mates,can you tell me what engine Kerry Bailey runs in his car.Thought if anyone would know,you would,cheers Matt