SAU Community

Scratches In Windscreen / Glass - How To Remove?

Hi All,

I was detailing my girlfriends car today and noticed that there is a scratch (around 10 cm long) in her glass.

Wondering how to remove scratches from glass? It is not very deep, but is a noticable scratch. It is not a crack.

Fine grade wet and dry sandpaper? Cutting compound / buffer?

Dont know if it matters, but the car is an S15 and its her front windscreen.

If anyone knows, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by iwanta34gtr

Hi ,

If your water marks are on the surface of the glass you can remove them using a product by CarPro called Ceriglass. This a Cerium Oxide based product mixed with a nano polish to allow it to work by machine or with the applicator in the kit.

I have removed not only water marks but seriously deep windscreen wiper scratches on glass with this and a polisher. Definitely worth a try.

Click Here for more info.

Thanks mate.

I just gave it a try with 2000 grit wet and dry, then hit it with ultimate compound and a buffer as a 'lets hope' - but it didnt make too much of a difference unfortunately.

Brought it out a bit better but taking a look - its pretty deep, will organise to have a pro window guy come and take a look at it tomorrow.

Just called Obrien out of curiosity, they have a 24/7 line.

They advise that they dont do windscreen scratch repair.

Is this the norm? If there is a scratch, the windscreen has to be replaced?

Edited by iwanta34gtr

Thanks Eugene, appreciate the advice.

Getting some quotes for a replacement windshield. They vary though - Obrien is $860, and Novus Auto Glass (who have done work for me before) have quoted $320.

Only thing im thinking now is, will they be able to reuse the factory rubbers / seals? If it makes sense, on the sides down the bottom of the windscreen they raise up a bit - i noticed on my mates R33 when they repalced his windscreen they replaced the seals and they are a bit different / flat.

Will have to do more research.

Update for anyone that is interested for future reference.

Spoke with a company today that polishes glass, they advised that it would be better to replace the windshield because of the position of the scratch - and it is in direct line of sight.

If it was further polished, the scratch would come out but the area would become distorted.

So today, got a replacement windscreen installed, and the original seal was able to be reused. The guy was very careful removing it, so it did not split or tear.

Very happy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Tez,

I had a chat to Novus about their polishing services before I got a new one installed. It will depend exactly where the scratch is as to whether its worth getting them to buff it out. This is because the glass will loose its clarity in the area.

If it is an important viewing area it is not recommended. Also not too friendly too your wallet for a result which can not be confirmed for success until after the event / payment.

That being said, before replacing I gave it a go myself by wet sanding the glass with fine grade sandpapers and then polishing with a mothers powerball and a heavy compound.

Looked 1000X better than having a deep scratch and was very passable, but to me - was not perfect when I stared at it.

Cheap DIY if anyone wants to give it a go before replacing (and things cant get any worse).

whats the turn around time like? do they have the glass ready to go or does it need to be made up?

I'm thinking of filling out some stone chips and wiper scratches but don't want to spend a little close to $100 and get a shabby result.