SAU Community

Pillow Ball Or Rubber Bush?

T.D

Hey, I did a search but came up fruitless. I'm about to purchase some camber arms for my R33 GTS-t and have the option of either pillow ball ends or rubber bush ends.

Considering both are the same price, which one should I be purchasing? Pros and cons?

Cheers :cheers:

Pillow Ball

- Noisy

- Wears out faster

- Good for track not so much for road (puts on flame suit)

Rubber Bush End (My Preference)

- Quieter, less road noise

- Will not wear out as fast

- Cheaper to service, just pop in SuperPro bushes

- Better suit for road car

- Has slight play due to rubber flex (ideal for road) (once again flame suit on)

My preference, rubber bush, many others will disagree like how I prefer correct tyre sizes on rims over stretched w4nk rubber on rims.

ive just finished looking into this and basically depends on what you are gunna use the car for. if its your daily then rubber bushes are the way to go. if your gunna track it often and can put up with a bit more vibration on the road then go the pillowballs. as with johnny i'd recommend the rubber bushes :)

Pillow Ball

- Noisy

- Wears out faster

- Good for track not so much for road (puts on flame suit)

Rubber Bush End (My Preference)

- Quieter, less road noise

- Will not wear out as fast

- Cheaper to service, just pop in SuperPro bushes

- Better suit for road car

- Has slight play due to rubber flex (ideal for road) (once again flame suit on)

We sell both, and I feel that this is pretty much on the money. Most aftermarket suspension arms have spherical bearings which will have higher levels on NVH which can be annoying for some on the road. However, the greater adjustment on offer with most aftermarket arms can be handy if the car is used for motorsport and you require specific alignment settings.

Has anyone done a combination of adjustable caster arms and urethane bushes?

I know there are Superpro adjustable bushes, but the off center pin arrangement seems quite crude and imprecise, would not the variable length rod and urethane bush be a better alternative? seems everyone and their dog does adjustable pillow balls.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Car is a street car and doesn't really get tracked so it looks like I'll go for the rubber bush end camber arms :thumbsup:

Cheers.

yeah i've pretty much learnt the hard way with this

i went the jeremy clarkson method of 'how hard can it be?' with regards to ball jointed arms, and man it's a stuggle

i've just come to the decision tonight after having them in for a month that i am going to take out the front and rear castor arms and the rear camber and replace them with hardrace arms

http://justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=20360&cat=396&page=1

http://justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=20455&cat=396&page=1

http://justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=20359&cat=396&page=1

my car will be tracked a few times a year and it's not the rough ride that gives me the shits it is the noise they make and primarily because i can't tell half the time if it's the arm just doing it's thing or if it is somethign else. i just had some weird thing happen tonight after i got the car back from getting it tuned (i noticed it odd on the way there the other day too) where i thought an arm had some how come loose it was making some grinding type noise on the front right side. i took all the wheels off tonight and just checked over them and everything is all still done up tight so i don't know and it was ok when i took it for a test drive after

so yeah - lesson learned

those hard race items look like the perfect blend of rubber bush and proper adjustment, knew i should have got them in the first place

there are front and rear castor for r32 there

the front camber you're either going to have to go sold joint or replace the bushes for your arms, but they arn't that bad i had those same dog bone shape in my r32 and they weren't bad ps. R32 and Z32 use the same front camber arm, not sure they don't have lised as r32 aswell. Bushes are a hassle to adjust too.

You could probably get away with rear camber too as ball joint. the cator arms are the ones that lead and hurt when you hit a big bump

Edited by mystery_kid

there are front and rear castor for r32 there

the front camber you're either going to have to go sold joint or replace the bushes for your arms, but they arn't that bad i had those same dog bone shape in my r32 and they weren't bad ps. R32 and Z32 use the same front camber arm, not sure they don't have lised as r32 aswell. Bushes are a hassle to adjust too.

You could probably get away with rear camber too as ball joint. the cator arms are the ones that lead and hurt when you hit a big bump

Ahh OK they didn't show in my initial search... http://justjap.com/store/search.php?mode=search&page=1

As I have said elsewhere and when, the ball end joints on the front caster arms aren't a real NVH problem. They chatter a little at higher speeds on country roads, but are generally unnoticable (except for how much better they are than rubber or urethane bushes) in the 'burbs. I wouldn't go back to squishy caster rods again. The car's turn in is just so much better with solid joints in there.

• 9 years later...