SAU Community

Project: Beefcake

JEPPE

lost it in the face as well.

got to get the weights out.

that diet that you looked at, was it called the Paleo Diet or something?? I have read a few things on it, people see some great changes after going on it, however with society the way it is, extremely hard to stick to

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with the logic behind a Paleo diet...not that the actual food content of the diet is bad, but the logic is flawed. Yeah we're cavemen at heart, we still have the instincts and the innate tendencies...but our physical health and active lifestyle is so far removed from them. We don't spend all day hunting animals or foraging, we have easy access to food and medicine and this is one of the reasons why we continue to live longer and stronger...and yet...we're trying to replicate the living habits of beings who had an average life span of ~30 years? Going backwards in terms of evolution if you ask me.

Too many fad diets and scientists wanting to make their quick buck / 15 minutes in the limelight. I've got a great one: eat less lol. Proven time and time again! Might write a 250 page book with DON'T EAT SO MUCH YOU FAT SHIT printed on each page. /rant

So uh, yeah, back to JEPPE's build thread.

I don't agree with the logic behind a Paleo diet...not that the actual food content of the diet is bad, but the logic is flawed. Yeah we're cavemen at heart, we still have the instincts and the innate tendencies...but our physical health and active lifestyle is so far removed from them. We don't spend all day hunting animals or foraging, we have easy access to food and medicine and this is one of the reasons why we continue to live longer and stronger...and yet...we're trying to replicate the living habits of beings who had an average life span of ~30 years? Going backwards in terms of evolution if you ask me.

Too many fad diets and scientists wanting to make their quick buck / 15 minutes in the limelight. I've got a great one: eat less lol. Proven time and time again! Might write a 250 page book with DON'T EAT SO MUCH YOU FAT SHIT printed on each page. /rant

So uh, yeah, back to JEPPE's build thread.

Edited by GTR_JOEY

I agree with 99% of diets are fad diets are a load of bull. When we talk about increasing foods such as Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legnums to our diets to keep us healthier then no that is not bull. I dont think these scientists that have spend decades of their lives dedicated to understanding how the human body works and whats actually good for it are doing it to make a quick buck. I dont beleive they would live by the diets they have formulated if they didnt beleive they work either.

You say that we are living longer and stronger, I would agree that we live longer though stronger definatly not. All one needs to do is have a look at the rate at which diet related illness has risen over the last 100 years to see that diseases such as cancer, diabities, heart conditions have substantially increases. These conditions still existed 100 years ago but as a % to populaton ratio, are no where near as high as they are now. People now die in their 40s because of heart attacks and its definatly not all genetic related.

Also, you say we live longer, that is true, though only due to the fact we now have drugs and major madical procedures to add another few years here and there. Its just delaying the inevitable and preventing us from killing ourselves. We are brought up thinking that all the nutrients and minerals we need are sourced from animal products.... why would people give us bad information?... dunno, maybe a little bit of invested intrest

By no means am i vegetarian or vegan, i probably eat just as much dairy, meet, eggs etc as most of the people on this forum. Im just trying to look at it critically and cypher through the rubbish we're told instead of being lazy and just excepting it.

This isnt a stab at you birds, nor anyone else on here... Just saying

Sorry JEPPE for the rant, thought it would be best exposed here while we're on the topic and i though u would be one to appreciate it.

BTW theres another DVD you should watch that i think you will find rather interesting

Haha all good man :)

I agree... I think as long as the diet, no matter what it is, is an improvement on your current state... then who gives a damn?? Seriously I am the last person to follow any religion but I know heroin addicts who have turned to christianity and it's saved their lives. That's awesome! It doesn't matter what you do as along as it's a step away from the wrong direction. You can fix it into the right direction later.

Also on the topic of extended life expectancies. If you look at horses, they average 7 years of life in the wild. Domesticated they will live past 40. As a race horse they're lucky to get to the high 20's after retiring before 10 and that's if they don't die in the sport. We may have extended our life times but we have also added complications.

The main thing that would have killed people back then is simple things like infection, teeth issues meaning you can't eat etc. They were also a relatively simple cure, I think if you applied that to us back then we would have quickly risen to the same life expectancy of today.

On another note... Weighed in at 60.1 this morning :D Almost in the 50's

None of my clothes fit me :(

Yep completly agree with what your saying in terms of adding "complications", we should be eating to live, not living to eat ;)

good work on the weight loss btw, im sure you dont mind having to go clothes shopping haha

how is the high fruit vege diet going btw?

If you get the time watch "Forks over Knives"

Haha oh yeah I actually hate clothes shopping lol... my pants are $10 DFO purchases from 4 years ago! Best.

Haven't really added the veggies yet as haven't even been to the super market or gotten a juicer :S

My diet is so minimal to get these last two kgs of that it basically goes:

Breakfast: 1/4 cup of oats cooked as poridge

Lunch: 1/3 can of soup

Dinner: Can of Tuna.

At least that's what I'm going for. It varies like last night I had 3 pc asparagus and 2 slices of pumpkin for dinner... but then added a scoop of ice cream and a 4cm cubed piece of sticky date cake :wub:

Don't really have room to add much in there although the soup does have veggies in it, even though it's canned.

Will have a geez at that flick, although I've just started school last week so might not get through it as fast as the last one :P

So this morning I'm on Yarra Blvd and I spot about 100 people lining up for some run/marathon thingy. I think 'what the f**k are those psychos doing?!' Then I realised I was on my pushy and both of my thumbs were numb to the core -_-

Saw my doc this week, clearly not diabetic which is good news. He suspects I have an imbalance of serotonin so on to the antidepressants. I'm monitoring their progress and effect by exercising roughly the same deal every two weeks, might even make it every week, and monitoring my reaction.

Today's went a little like this:

Wake up: 7.30, roughly 8 hours sleep, immediately ate 1 weetbix and a black tea

Start: 8am

Distance: 10.7km

Time: 30 minutes

Avg HR: 156bpm

Max HR: 180

Afterwards immediately ate 45gm of a protein bar. Most likely unecessary to have so much but it had been lying around since January so it will do the job. Will probably just eat a can of tuna afterwards in the future or a low carb protein shake.

I know 30 minutes isn't a lot of exercise, but the last time I cycled it was 37 minutes at a slower pace with a 20 minute break half way, and I was a wreck afterwards, so I think starting very slowly is a good idea as I still have things I need to be stable for (study etc) and I'll most likely get a reaction anyway. Hell if I don't then I'll be stoked, being able to maintain 30 minutes once a week would be a dream.

Good news, haven't had any side effects from the cycle this morning. Will test a one hour ride on Thursday to see if anything happens.

Also have been 59.4Kgs for the last few days, very soon at my goal :)

Meh, super come down around 11 last night, was a rough day today. Although could have been partly due to spending the day riding bikes, even though it was a leisurely ride. Anyway that's what the test is for, too bad.

• 3 months later...

Hey gais, long time. Thought I would post a quick update.

I'M FIXED!!! (I think).

Problem was: Combination of CFS and natural imbalance of Serotonin. As most of you will know serotonin is released when you exercise which is why people get addicted to working out. For me my serotonin high is naturally huge then quickly drops to an extended massive low which explains why I was reacting so bad to exercise.

So now I have managed to acclimatise to my Zoloft and seem to have sorted out the side effects so far. Have started boxing which is freakin awesome. Was sparring with Birds the other day as a laugh and it was a lot of fun and promotes a great workout. Haven't cried in about 2 months haha, which is pretty damn awesome considering I was crying nearly every day since I had started exercising, from stupid stuff. Weight has stabilised at 61/62Kgs which I'm happy with until I start a full exercise routine again. Food cravings seem to be in check but will reevaluate when I'm working out more again. Just waiting for my glands to reduce and I feel perfect before I hit it again. Can't wait!

Oh.. also have been able to go out and party and drink and sleep four hours instead of 24 (seriously, this happened) which is amazing, it's pretty great living a more normal life, so horray!

So yeah, I'll post again in another 4 months when I'm beefcake :P

So now I have managed to acclimatise to my Zoloft and seem to have sorted out the side effects so far.

Oh.. also have been able to go out and party and drink and sleep four hours instead of 24 (seriously, this happened) which is amazing, it's pretty great living a more normal life, so horray!

So yeah, I'll post again in another 4 months when I'm beefcake :P

I thought its recommended not to consume excessive amounts of alcohol whilst on anti depressants?

It all depends on how you react to the drug personally. I haven't found any differences between drinking now and drinking before hand and my doctor hasn't recommended against it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an update :) went to the gym last night, finally after too long! Have been regularly running, horse riding, then swimming and cycling about once a week. Weight has reduced down to ~60.5kg at the moment which is feeling goooood.

This gym sesh was mainly for trying out general excises, getting the feel for the weights... Most of the time underestimating myself. Hence why there are more exercises than I will usually do and the sets and weights are a bit out. Should be more uniform and consistent next time.

Workout 18/11/12

Push ups (no grips)

5 x 6

Dumbbell press

10 x 2 @ 5kg

15 x 1 @ 6kg

10 x 1 @ 7kg

10 x 1 @ 10kg

Lat pull downs

10 x 5 @ 50lbs

Dips

10 x 3 @ 80lbs

Leg press

10 x 1 @ 40

10 x 2 @ 60

10 x 1 @ 80

Leg extension

10 x 1 @ 90

10 x 1 @ 100

10 x 1 @ 120

Then 120 half reps as much as possible (got to about 10)

Hamstring curl

10 x 1 @ 70

10 x 1 @ 50

10 x 1 @ 40

Sit ups 20 x 3

Oh, and to add to that I had blood tests done a week ago, Vit E, D and Iron are all still good, co enzyme Q10 I'm waiting on but testosterone still shows as <0.4, when it needs to be in the 4.5-10 range for women and for an 'athlete' you would want the high end. So basically my muscles hurt like crazy 24/7 which ends up giving me times where I take too many days off because I just become worn out. Have tried all the natural remedies like foods and excise but they haven't made a difference so will discuss with my doc about a cream or injection or something. Hopefully I don't grow a beard >.>