Nissan To Take On The V8 Supercars!

HYBR3D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People need to take their blinkers off! :) Do you really think the cars being entered by Ford and Holden are their best efforts? For the rules of the class they are.

Agree with everything you've said, but particularly this...which is conveniently overseen by way too many GTR fans. Why do people think that a Commodore or Falcon is the best race car these manufacturers could come up with?!?! It was a friggen $20k family sedan converted for race use versus a $100k+ race car built from the ground up, what did people think would happen?!?! They complain about the monotony of homologated V8 supercars, a real team and driver racing category, but I bet you they stop watching any race series after the same car wins 10 times in a row...

Inifity will be launching in Australia this year, which pegs the possibility to see the Altima as a possible platform for their V8SC debut. It's good to see something new being thrown into the series, for it's a good race. But you're kidding yourself if you think that it's going to bare any semblance to what we experienced in 92. The platforms under the skins will be identical, and the die-hard bogans are still up in arms.

Infiniti M56 otherwise known as a http://en.wikipedia....iki/Nissan_Fuga

These will be on sale in aus later this year IIRC.

If I was making a bet it would be on this.

I agree, same sort of body shape/size as a Falcon/Commo, V8 and RWD - it's the perfect choice.

Would also go well with launching their IPL (Infiniti Performance Line) cars to link it with the V8SC series. Nissan has to have some benefit out of this, and it seems a bit convenient they are launching Infiniti just before joining the V8's.

Either way I look forward to it, I enjoy watching the V8's occasionally and never really supported either side, now I will take more interest. Very clever move by both Nissan and the V8SC.

Why would Nissan run an AMG V8?

Mercedes owns Approx 3% shares in nissan and renault, Nissan and renault owns 1.5% shares each in mercedes,

Something to do with merc wanting small diesel tech and small commercial's like the kangoo, nissan/renault wanted AMG V8 tech for luxury sedans like C63!

Same chassis + engine + suspension = boring. I guess it's just like NASCAR then right? Rather watch paint dry.

what are you thoughts on DTM though? they run the same regs, as does the GT500 (or whatever it's currently called in japan). hell even F1 pretty much runs in this format. all major race formats around the world have strict formats for engine, aero, body and suspension. you won't find many race formats whose rules are as loose/dodgy as the old group A days (which seems to be what GTR fans stuck in the early 90's really want).

People need to take their blinkers off! :) Do you really think the cars being entered by Ford and Holden are their best efforts? For the rules of the class they are.

But given a clean sheet to enter "their best efforts" nobody would be able to afford to go racing!

Just like in the Grp A days they all put in their best efforts in line with the rules. Any rules that allow a twin turbo car that makes more power, more torque and allowed to run 4wd with bigger tyres then rwd V8s and 2L turbos is a flawed class. There was a reason they were made to run weight penalties as the rules were way off what they needed to be to have a field of competitive cars. If I saw that the rules allowed me to run something like a GT3 Exige in the Grp A class, the result would have been the same as what the GTR achieved until the rule makers caught up with the inequality in the rules

Nissan saw the hole in the regs and built the sharpest tool in the shed. Hats off to them.

So I love how the great news of Nissan returning to domestic racing is met with negativity saying that they will be held back. Look at Europe, if we had it so wrong why have they started a series much the same as ours with the V8 Superstars?

And people that complain about the quality of the V8 Supercars racing need to actually watch a GT500/GT300 race. They are boring as bat shit with cars very rarely actually racing. As a motorsport fan still great to watch due to the variety of cars, but its hardly good , close racing.

The problem really was linking vehicle weight with tyre footprint.

It makes sense that a tiny little car like a Sierra cannot run as wide a tyre as a bigger and heavier car such as the GT-R.

The Sierra had every bit of the power to weight ratio that the Skyline did...

And people that complain about the quality of the V8 Supercars racing need to actually watch a GT500/GT300 race. They are boring as bat shit with cars very rarely actually racing. As a motorsport fan still great to watch due to the variety of cars, but its hardly good , close racing.

BTCC. Seems to work with variety and close racing. If only Ford or Holden made decent 2L cars :P

Actually, fuck V8 supertaxis... why has a BTCC style series not made it to mainstream on oz? We're the perfect melting pot of japanese, korean, australian, euro and yank 2L cars.