Nissan To Take On The V8 Supercars!

HYBR3D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bit off topic why would Nissan go a Merc engine?? The VQ and VH engines are already damn fine.

I think it's just for Infiniti and/or Europe only. I remember posting that link a while back, I translated some of the original documents about the 2013 Nissan Skyline/Infiniti G and that was the best I could come up with at the time.

Nissan and Mercedes are just swapping technology, whether that will apply to new motors in Nissan cars who knows, but it seems likely they want to launch an Infiniti in Europe with a diesel engine to compete more directly with the other Euro cars. Who knows if it will make it across the world (when they launch here later this year) or the US, or even in Japan. Whatever sells cars I guess.

BTCC. Seems to work with variety and close racing. If only Ford or Holden made decent 2L cars :P

Actually, fuck V8 supertaxis... why has a BTCC style series not made it to mainstream on oz? We're the perfect melting pot of japanese, korean, australian, euro and yank 2L cars.

we did have a BTCC style series back after group A ended. was called the supertourers. lasted for a few years before it died. was good to watch. they even had their own bathurst race. the front runners were audi and bmw. the audis would get better drive due to the 4wd system, but the bmws had the legs down the straight due to being lighter. they had the parity system sorted, unlike back in the group A days.....

i reckon that nissan using merc AMG engines (nice thought though) in the 2013 infiniti G coupe is BS as they already have the infiniti M56 rwd coupe that was developed as a direct competitor in the US market against the BMW 550i and Mercedes-Benz E550 series coupe.

nismo have been working with the VK56DE rwd GTR since 2009 and have dominated with the super GT 350z and FIA GT1 car. imo nissan should use their latest DIG VK56DV (420hp) infiniti M56 motor, ironically it is also used in the 2010 V8 Patrol.

I watched the press conference online yesterday.

"Nissan CEO Dan Thompson said that the donor car will be a brand new model for Nissan (it will be sold world wide and launched at the same time as the new Pulsar in 2013) and V8 Supercars was going to be its marketing launch pad. Todd Kelly (on top of being a driver he is also head of the technical department) was there on the panel also and was asked by the media what will be powering the car. He said it will be a Nissan production V8 block and heads with the rest being developed by them in house in conjuction with NISMO."

moar from the press confererence..

"Dan Thompson's first announcement he made was that a brand new to Nissan car will be used as the platform for the race car. It will be launched in 2013. Thats not speculation, thats fact from the Australian CEO. It will be a 4 door sedan, it will be rear wheel drive. The engine will not be based off any current V8 that Nissan are running in motorsport currently or any pre made special from V8SC. This was confirmed by Todd Kelly in that same press conference.

As part of the new COTF rules there are no capacity restrictions, i.e Nissan are not restricted to 5L like the old rules. Nor are Ford or Holden. But they will keep their current engines and their power will be reduced to the nominated 600hp. The cars are 100kgs lighter so performace won't be an issue, but they will be faster than the current ones with the amount of changes that have been made to the design. The Nissan engine expected to be used will be a 4.5L, Kellys are still evaluating their options. They have a battle on their hands to get it ready and run their current race team."

Sorry Deano I disagree, I fear it will be less than awesome. Think about all the mouth-breathers you see at say...the mall...Holden t-shirt and hat, pair of thongs and footy short talking to his equally attired bogan mate about how he just bought a really choice HRT jacket for his wives birthday.

Now take out Holden and HRT and replace with Nissan and Nismo....scary isn't it.

Awesome? that would be a return to Group A

STFU keets, group A in the 80/90s was a totally different ball game so get with the times brah as COTF V8s are here to stay, so lets accept that fact and move on.

personally im really happy that the nissan branding is out there again as they have lost there identity in the market and should have a decent crack at HSV and FPV.

Sorry Deano I disagree, I fear it will be less than awesome. Think about all the mouth-breathers you see at say...the mall...Holden t-shirt and hat, pair of thongs and footy short talking to his equally attired bogan mate about how he just bought a really choice HRT jacket for his wives birthday.

Now take out Holden and HRT and replace with Nissan and Nismo....scary isn't it.

STFU keets, group A in the 80/90s was a totally different ball game so get with the times brah as COTF V8s are here to stay, so lets accept that fact and move on.

personally im really happy that the nissan branding is out there again as they have lost there identity in the market and should have a decent crack at HSV and FPV.

This from an interview in this weeks Auto Fiction of Dan Thompson who is the CEO if Nissan Oz:

So, essentially, you're selling the spectacle, not the specification?

Well, we're selling the Nissan brand.

So there you have it - it is just an branding exercise. Basically there to sell more Nismo jackets or Tiidas because there is no way a Jack Daniels swilling bogan is going to go buy a new GTR off the back of Rick Kelly getting all emotional or Murph punching on with everyone.

Keets is right. Whereas before you may see someone with a Nismo shirt/jacket & think here is someone who knows/cares about motorsport. Now you will just be looking at another cashed up bogan with no clue.

Well, we're selling the Nissan brand.

state the obvious mate it's all about making moolah from branding, strategic marketing and sales to develop new technology for the race/car market, especially within motorsport circles worldwide.

imo stop worrying about nissan not having there best car on the paddock and embrace the facts Group A is long gone, i still follow the V8s and am generally happy that nissan have a contendor.

state the obvious mate it's all about making moolah from branding, strategic marketing and sales to develop new technology for the race/car market, especially within motorsport circles worldwide.

imo stop worrying about nissan not having there best car on the paddock and embrace the facts Group A is long gone, i still follow the V8s and am generally happy that nissan have a contendor.

They will have a second rate car as it will come out of the Kelly brothers workshop. Not really worried about that.

I just generally wish that the Nismo brand (dont give a fk for the Nissan brand) didnt have to be boganised in order for Nissan to sell some more shtbox Navaras.

I just generally wish that the Nismo brand (dont give a fk for the Nissan brand) didnt have to be boganised in order for Nissan to sell some more shtbox Navaras.

too late you've heard of the "nismo frontier" sold in the US, much like the TRD hilux not anything to do with nismo but unfortunately associated by branding.