SAU Community

Asking Too Much?

Tangles

Am I asking too much for my RS4 Dayz Stagea?

$13500 with all the fruit. Pretty much all the bolt-ons you could wish for.

Talked to a bloke at the gym today, he sold his RS4 for $9500 yesterday, stock besides exhaust.

Have had no real interest at this stage, advertised here & Drive.

Thoughts?

Im kind of thinking perhaps Im silly to sell; keep and barely use over the next 4yrs, then strip & part out?

Or go through Uni, get great job, throw in lager CC injectors, wire up Z32 Nistune, cleanup the body with a full respray & keep for many years to come?

I dunno.

Besides some under mirror rust and paint chip loss around rear wheel arches its in pretty sweet condition.

With a forged engine, flowed head, etc etc I thought $13k was cheap? Or am I dreaming?

Link in sig below.

Ill think you will find its just not a good time to sell cars atm. but you do always seem to do better parting car out and returning back to stock . i reckon you should keep it. your only just starting to get close to your end goal its a testement to the hard yards you have done in the past.

I don't think it is an unreasonable price... BUT it is 15 years old and M35's can be had for less than $13k.

Not saying it would be a better deal, but generally people want the newer model if they are the same price.

I guess it is the usual story - S1 prices drop when S2 is available, S2 prices drop when NM35 becomes available, NM35 prices drop when PM35 becomes available.

What I do think is unreasonable is that properly installed mods don't increase the value of a car over here like they do in Japan.

Ill think you will find its just not a good time to sell cars atm. but you do always seem to do better parting car out and returning back to stock . i reckon you should keep it. your only just starting to get close to your end goal its a testement to the hard yards you have done in the past.

im a pretty big carsales.com, carpoint.com, and drive.com creep. i watch them ALL the time, with no intention to buy, i just like browsing, and seeing what certain cars are selling for. mostly imports.

anyway, had a look at your forsale add..

to answer you question directly, no i dont think you are asking too much. it looks like a very nice RS4.

will you get what your asking for it? maybe. if you are prepared to wait long enough.

As soon as people see a $13,500 on a second hand import, they will instantly assume that you will take $11,500 or $12,000.

Bearing that in mind, if you have had it for sale for a while, and you drop the price slightly, people will act accordingly, and once again, assume that you will take less than you are asking. So you friend who sold his stock RS4 for $9,500 could have been asking, say, $11,000 and was offered $9,500 and because he wanted/ needed the car sold, took the offer up.

Unfortunately its the nature of selling second hand cars. and modified imports are quite a niche market these days..

Keep it s1 are the best looking stags. I could have got what ever i wanted when i got mine but chose s1 for the front and the trans but if ya do keep it dont get a nismo kit like you said in your other thread he he lol .

Thanks for the honest opinions guys.

No rush to sell, nor a desire to do so as such, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Yes rose/jase, I lurve the nismo kit :P

More likely than not I'll still have it 5yrs down the track & go further with it, but if someone wants it I'll think about selling if its reasonable enough to me. Just surprised I've haven't had anyone look at it locally I guess.

Just stick with it, Tangles!! I'm never getting rid of mine!

That said, you're in the same position I was when I was trying to sell My V35: I wanted a change, but was in no hurry to sell... Subsequently, I got the money I wanted for it, but it took 8 months.

Personally, I'd keep the car given how much work you've already done. Just make sure you get the rust sorted: GreenGhost is getting his fixed for the second time, and it's pretty messy this time!

I'm not getting rid of mine for a loooooooooooooooooong time. I had my first Skyline for 23 years and 600k. I only got rid of her caus the auto box died. So for the Stag I have a spare box and tranny case. Plus all the bits to turbo the G. It's what I like.

As a bit of a comparo, I bought my S2 RSVS with exhaust, K&N, PFC, Bilstein, sway bars, king springs, Eboost2 and a few other bits of fruit for $10k last July. The car had been advertised for quite a while (on here and Carsales).

TBH $13k is "fair" but fact is the second hand market has been dead for years and isn't ever likely to recover. Advertise for $13k and you will eventually get $11.5k. Advertise for $11 k and you'll get $10.5k in a few weeks.

At the end of the day a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Yours has plenty of fruit but I doubt a Stag buyer will see that as genuine value.

I don't think you'll get your 13k for it because people always expect not to pay what you advertise

i've put my rs4s up for like 15 or 16k (can't remember) but im not too bothered if i sell it or not (left it in qld so its just chilling at my parents place)

i figure that if someone wants it for 14k tho, i'll probably sell it

always put your car up for more than what you want to get for it!

best way to make money is to sell with swaps involved.

bought my stag for $15500, did basic mods on the cheap(ie second hand parts)

swapped it for an auto 32 gts4 skyline with the manual conversion stuff in the boot plus $10g my way.

sold the 32gtst the next day for $5500

thumbsup.gif

TBH keep it, you've pumped in way too much cash to ever get close to getting any back, and how far will 13 k really get you? buy a good daily that isn't destroyed $5g??

7g wont even touch the sides for living expenses for 4 yrs or more while you're at uni

I bought my S1 RS4T for $4500. I have spent about $15,000 (probably more) on it over three years. I would be hard put to get $10k for it so I hope to never sell it.

Try to keep your car Brendan but if you have to sell you're probably better to sell off as many aftermarket parts as possible.

the sad truth, that MANY people fail to realise, and you see it ALL the time in for sale add's is, after market mods do not add value to a car.

so many times i have seen cars for sale with the seller quoting all the prices for the 'mods' that they have installed on their car, with the intention of making the money back they have spent on it.

Unfortunately it just does not work like that...

I think the price is more than fair.....just need to find someone that realises the car is good value and does not compare it to the cheaper ones with the only mod an exhaust and pod FFS.

I will be putting mine up for sale soon in 2-3 months time probably........I will be starting at $25K....see what happens

If I can not anything over $20K for it, I will strip it and sell it in bits.

You can get higher than market values with the right buyer

My previous cars...

'73 celica...market value $3-4K.....I sold it for $12K in 1994

'87 Aw11 MR2....market $6-8K....sold for $13.5K....in 2002

'86 S4 RX7....market was $12-17K......sold it for $24.5K....in 1995

Edited by darrinspencer

You never really get any of your money back for any mods, thats are generally more than a intercooler/exhaust. And alot of people that look at buying cars

always regard the heavily modified ones as thrashed, rather than the fact those type of cars are generally looked after better because they have spent so much money on them.

Going by what i have seen and had happen to me, generally you will be lucky to get a few grand more than a stock S.1 would get, unless you get a true enthusiast.

Thats why most cars get stripped for parts then sold..just keep it.. or strip it..

cheers

darren