SAU Community

R33 Diff And Driveshaft Strength

hi guys.i got a r33 fitted with the rb20e motor.what i want to know howstrong are the diff and sideshafts fitted to this model.are they as strong as the turbo skylines' diffs and sideshafts.how do i know if its a r200 diff.my vin plate says rc4.00 does that mean its a r200 diff.if i want to fit a turbo diff do i need the whole casing or jus the intenals.hope anyone can help

Don't know about a RB20DE R33, but i'm fairly sure the 25DE and DET diffs/driveshafts are the same?

Few people having trouble with gearboxes on 25DE+T's or high powered RB20DET's, but rarely hear of blown diffs or drive shafts unless it's in BIG power applications.....

Any R200 diff is as strong as any other in the basic aspects (CW&P, centre casting, output halfshafts). In the case of the 2L R33, it's unlikely that the std diff is LSD. And even if it was, VLSDs are pus anyway. Don't look at putting any other centre into your existing housing. Just buy a secondhand mechanical diff already in a housing when you can get one from someone.

I got an R32GTR rear end in my Stagea both for the mechanical LSD and because the 6 x 1 half shafts are thicker than the R33 ones (other advantages are aluminium carriers and twin pot brakes although you will have to change the shocks).

Unless by some miracle someone has installed a helical diff in your car, just jack up the rear, and turn one of the rear wheels. An open diff will spin the opposite wheel in the opposite direction. An LSD, even a VLSD, will spin the opposite wheel the same way.

my diff does that.i even done the one wheel up test and itd very hard to turn but when one wheel is on a loose surface like sand and the other on hard surface the one on sand would spin with a light touch on the gas pedal.is that normal for a vlsd

oops sorry man.my diff acts like a lsd.i've jacked up my car n both wheels turn in the same direction.same said to jack up one wheel n if it hard to turn then its a lsd.i've done that test too n its hard to turn the wheel.do viscous lsd work when the wheels turn slow cause when one wheel is on a hard surface n the other on sand the one on sand starts to spin n no power goes to the other wheel

It's most definitely is a very rare CIG or BOC LOCKER.

A normal lsd will turn both wheels the same way with the car off the ground......... a welded diff will just do it around corners as well

<br />My diff is a piece of shit, limited slip my f**ken ass.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I've just been driving mine for the first time since putting the helical centre in it. As far as I'm concerned, the VLSD that was in it before was effectively open. I now have to learn to drive the car again, because everything it does is different!