SAU Community

This Is My Build Thread

HEKT1K

Height - 174cm

Weight - 63kg

Bodyfat - not sure..... low?

Always been skinny, been able to eat whatever and not put on weight bla bla bla, the usual ecto story.

I gym 3-4 times a week, I also play indoor soccer/futsal every now and again but not regularly.

Goal is to put on a bit more (lean) mass.. maybe hit 70kg body weight with similar bf%?

Gym routine is vaguely thus:

Monday - Chest

Flat bench 3-4 sets, 8-10 reps. Did 70kg x 6 last night, PB... Usual work sets around 65kg

Incline bench 3-4 sets, 8-10 reps. 50kg, looking to increase this a bit, might shoot for 55kg next time

Weighted dips, 3-4 sets, 8-10 reps. 7.5kg dumbell between the legs

Pec deck machine / cable flys, 3-4 sets, 8-10 reps. Unsure of weight, but I make it hurt

Tuesday - Back/Bis

Pull ups - 4-5 sets, max reps. Usually 10,8,8,8,6 or similar

Lat pulldown / Seated row - 3-4 sets, 6-8 reps. Heavy enough

Barbell curls - 3-4 sets, 8 reps. 30kg

Might do some more pull ups here, or hammer curls or something.

Thursday - Shoulders

DB shoulder press - 4 sets, 8 reps. 22.5kg each hand

DB Front raises - 3-4 sets, 6 reps. 10kg each hand

Upright rows - 4 sets, 8-10 reps. 35kg

Shrugs - 3-4 sets, usually do 70kg bar then superset with 2x25kg plates

Saturday/Sunday - Legs

Squats (in the smith machine) - 4-5 sets, max reps. 65kg or so

Standing calf raises - 4-5 sets, 10-12 reps. Usually the same weight as for squats

Leg extension - 3-4 sets, 8-10 reps.

Diet - average. I try to avoid excessive amounts of junk food, but I love a good kebab. I know I don't eat enough for my body type, but I'm working on it

Supplements - Musashi bulk. Usually have 2 shakes a day

You should add some chin-ups on your back day, as well as deadlifts, and seated row. Deadlifts will accelerate muscle growth, and the seated row will help build your traps more than shrugs (shrugs only hit the top of your traps). On chest day add some DB flys to further shape the chest, and push ups till failure at the end to exhaust the muscles. Instead of front raises on shoulder day, do some side lateral raises and rear delt flys (the front head of the shoulder gets hit during BB bench press exercises, so you're over-developing the front and not the middle and rear). For leg day maybe consider using a free barbell for squats as the smith machine limits natural movement, and add some lunges and leg press exercises instead of leg extensions.

You really need to do some seated row, deadlifts, rear and mid delt work, and add some hamstring exercises on your leg day because from what I read you're over developing the anterior, or front, of your body (walk into a gym, commonly guys have shoulders rolled forwards due to too much chest work) whereas all around strength comes from developing the posterior chain - calves, hammies, back, etc. (all the posterior or rear muscles).

Diet comes down to budget and dedication... try to space meals to every 3 hours, 20-30 grams of protein every meal (where possible) with a lot of carbs and healthy fats.

I know some people hate taking advice especially from some random on the internet, but do "Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength" program. Trust me this routine will give you a solid base especially coupled with your newbie gains and diet (this is very important)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1

Yes it's a long read but you can get the jist of it from the first few pages. If you plan on going ahead with it make sure you read the whole thing though. Even better you can do this routine at home with some basic equipment and the workout is 3x a week at about 45mins so more free-time!

Will incorporate deadlifts into my routine now, thanks for the tip. Might also look into doing ye olde beginner's routine (3 days x full body stuff) for a bit to see how that goes

Pics of dem skinny guy abs coming soon

• 2 weeks later...

Not gonna say just to eat more, but maybe try to eat more carbs and fats in particular? You have a pretty low BF percentage as your core looks pretty defined. You know you're on a good bulk when you can't see your abs anymore lol

• 2 months later...

Will incorporate deadlifts into my routine now, thanks for the tip. Might also look into doing ye olde beginner's routine (3 days x full body stuff) for a bit to see how that goes

Have begun this program, liking it so far

Negligible progress since last update :( so am changing it up.

• 4 weeks later...