SAU Community

Circuit Semi Slicks

Roy

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2016 at 11:19 AM, hrd-hr30 said:

Seems to be the Hankook Soft that goes off quickly with heat cycles. The Z214 Medium cycles very well, if Nev's experience with them over a couple of years is anything to go by.

FWIW, Nankangs ran 60.2 at Lakeside yesterday. That's 1.1sec faster than NT01 and less than 4 tenths slower than the Hankook Soft PB. Not bad for cheap rubbish in a medium compound vs probably the fastest semi available. Hell, they make NT01s look expensive! 

Not alot of options for anything wider than a 255 in 17" wheels

Was considering some Nitto 275 NT01 all around, but the Nankang AR1 255 all around might be a better option harry? Can anyone recommend a seller for the Nankang AR1 in Brisbane? or interstate even?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried Achilles tyres? I have run a set of 123s and the newer atr K sport on my 33. The k sports seemed to hold up better than the 123s which were super sticky but just fell apart after a few track days. I've done 5 track days and a few thousand k's on the ksports which are now worn out. Overall I'm fairly happy with them for the price, I think they were about $1100 a set; 245 40 18 and 265 35 18 on the rear. 
Just wondering how they compare to the Nankang Ar1s and Nitto NT01?
I'm particularly interested how they hold up on a heavier car as I will be getting a 33 GTR soon.

I tried the 123s as well, only lasted 2 track days and maybe 2000km, would not buy again. Have also run ad08r, 2 track days, 15k street km and still going well above 65% tread. I now have a set of track wheels with Nankang ar1, 3 track days done and look to easily have at least another 5 days in them. They grip well from cold, last well and where cheap at $205 fitted for 265/35/18. Would be an interesting comparison with the achilles semi.

I wouldn't use the AR1 as a street tyre though.

Hankook Z221 in medium will last me over a year thrashing and still perform even when worn! The last set i ran from late 2016 to the end of 2017 which i worked out was probably 300-400 laps... Same tyres still did a 1.39 at EC and then blew a front the next session lol....

A mate is importing container loads of the ZESTINO tyres and getting good reviews, ill be testing their competition Semi Slick in April at this stage which is between a slick and semi... They also do the street semis which are cheap and apparently comparable to the Z222 from Hankook... Main thing is,. they are CHEAP!

I think his page is K Racing on Facebook but if anyone wants more info just PM me and ill get you in contact!

• 1 month later...

AR1 update from me. 

I am progressively going faster and resetting my PB as the weather cools off, seems it was a bit unfair to buy the AR1 in summer and expect 2 secs straight up vs the old ones in cooler weather.  

They do wear faster than the RS-R I had and are very sensitive to pressures/heat soak. Seemingly preferring high pressures but at the same time needing to be cooled after a few hot laps with the higher pressures and camber. 

I've done 3 track days, only a few hundred k's and already they are on the tread indicators - but those first 2 days were in 35deg heat and one of those days i had busted rear sway bar end links and slide all over the place, torching the tyres in the process and still managed a small PB. 

I will either move to better semis next or look at what options I have in slicks for next season to coincide with an engine swap/power upgrade. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where to after AR1s? Better semis or slicks? 

I was thinking full slicks to handle the extra grunt from an engine swap end of this year, but my problem is space. 

I don't like the big 45-50mm flares so I only fitted 25-30mm and that looks perfect with a 9" rim 255 tyre and -3.5 front camber (don't have heaps of shock clearance left). 

To go wider would mean more "poke" so what would be the next step in better semis, and if slicks, I don't fully get slick sizing so help would be great :)

better quality semi's ? Hankook's the next step up in quality and price.

my experience with AR1's to new set of 050's is circa 1 - 1.5 sec difference over a 61 - 62 sec lap

never been involved in full slicks before but would think unless go full soft option getting heat into them to take full advantage would be a problem then at the proper soft level they would last long  at all !??

Edited by bcozican

• 1 year later...

Its time for a new set of tyres so i guess i'll try the AR1s. Ebay can deliver 265/35/18s for around $300each, but is there a shop in Sydney that will supply them for something close to that?

15 hours ago, MrStabby said:

Its time for a new set of tyres so i guess i'll try the AR1s. Ebay can deliver 265/35/18s for around $300each, but is there a shop in Sydney that will supply them for something close to that?

Blair's Tyre Service Cabramatta, I have had 2x 255/40/18 fitted for under $500 (will need to dig up receipt) last year... hence, "have had".. not sure if Coronavirus has inflated the prices yet lol

• Like 2

I've had a set of these on for the last 6 months or so - http://sailuntyre.eu/plt/R01-SPORT.html

Did the Adelaide Rally with them, and weekend driving etc. Pretty impressed, have a few track days coming up and will update

Cost effective at around $130 fitted for 235/40/18

3 hours ago, Chris32 said:

I've had a set of these on for the last 6 months or so - http://sailuntyre.eu/plt/R01-SPORT.html

Did the Adelaide Rally with them, and weekend driving etc. Pretty impressed, have a few track days coming up and will update

Cost effective at around $130 fitted for 235/40/18

Tread pattern almost looks like Ad08r

• Like 1