SAU Community

Circuit Semi Slicks

Roy

Night and day...Hankook are the easy winners. I ran hard compound and liked them for the few laps I have been able to do on them. Easily faster than the old hammered AO50s I had grabbed off a friends Targa car

Hmm, found the Yokies to be pretty good. How do the Z221's go for wear/heat cycles?

How much for the Handcock's in the 255/40/17 size?

The hammered AO50s were still good and better than any tyre I had used before. But newish Hankooks in hard felt good for the 4laps I did before car gave way. So no idea what is ultimately the better tyre re yoko vs Hankook but both are far better than the toyo...mind you I have only driven a historic on the toyo but everybody cant be wrong

The hammered AO50s were still good and better than any tyre I had used before. But newish Hankooks in hard felt good for the 4laps I did before car gave way. So no idea what is ultimately the better tyre re yoko vs Hankook but both are far better than the toyo...mind you I have only driven a historic on the toyo but everybody cant be wrong

Toyos from what I understand go ok on light cars they appear to be popular for that.

The RE55's I had previous were so hard the fkrs died of old age but the Yokies are quite a bit softer. They also feel less one dimensional. By that I mean the Bridgies when new/warm would stop and turn but not both. Not sure why maybe the tyre shape had something to do with it. AO50 have alot of crown on them for reasons I dont get. Everyone is scared of running over pressure as the middle wears first.

The Handcocks look like a traditional R comp. Do they drive like the yokies or the Bridgestones?

A few of the local lads here with quick cars who can steer told me the R888's are a brilliant hill climb tyre as they worked from cold. That's on a 400 plus KW 32gtr so not overly light either. I ran them for a day or two on my gtst they seemed okay but car was heavy, and shockingly setup so it's not a decent test.

I ran on some R888's Jack, and found them to be way to hard.

if budget is no drama then the big 3 are the only option, Yoki, Dunlop's or Bridgestone.

if budget is tight then try the Nitto's, they seem really good, haven't ran a heat cycle on them yet, but they seemed good out of the box,

but that was 2 years ago.

A few of the local lads here with quick cars who can steer told me the R888's are a brilliant hill climb tyre as they worked from cold. That's on a 400 plus KW 32gtr so not overly light either. I ran them for a day or two on my gtst they seemed okay but car was heavy, and shockingly setup so it's not a decent test.

Edited by Burgz32

Okay, I only going off what Jamie lonergan told me, said they were not much good for circuit work but he rated them as a hillclimb tyre. I sold mine to mark Rodgers as they had/were gonna be sitting way too long. There was some snoozer selling hankook's fairly cheaply but can't find him now. Might have to rouse up brad 'stig' sheriff and see if he still has a few hundred sets spare lol

Okay, I only going off what Jamie lonergan told me, said they were not much good for circuit work but he rated them as a hillclimb tyre. I sold mine to mark Rodgers as they had/were gonna be sitting way too long. There was some snoozer selling hankook's fairly cheaply but can't find him now. Might have to rouse up brad 'stig' sheriff and see if he still has a few hundred sets spare lol

this dude is selling some second hand 255's up Burnie way, give him a buzz. 0419897983

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=558966684142787&set=gm.621919021159819&type=1&theatre

$40 each for these 1's.

well some old fat supra nerd that was at the track last time i was there was ranting on to me about 30ish cold 38 hot and some some snoozer in a 32 gtr was at 36 hot i think. i ran them at about 30 hot but can't take any notice of that back then the car had more issues than amy winehouse

Anyone had any experience with the federal fz-201?

My v70a's have about 2 race meets left in them so time for some research.

I love the v70s and will go them again, just always good to see what is out there that is comparable.

Mind you I did my pb on the v70a with a 1.12.3 and the r888 I did a 1.13.7

I think I'm gonna get some v70a's, I understand they like quite high pressures, as in 30 cold min, my question is, hard or medium comp for my car. 33 gtst 320-350 killawasps super sprints, time attack and hill climbs. Will the hards be too hard?? Anyone?

more to the point where are people getting their V70a's??????????

Sorry, not sure who the South Pole distributor is.....I could find a place if you were in mainland Australia

Anyone had any experience with the federal fz-201?

These posts from earlier in the thread?

I ran the FZ201 softs at Sutton Rd last weekend, they were outrageously good.

FZ201 mediums for sprints, softs are more suitable for hill climbs. Maybe not the absolute quickest but unbeatable bang for buck.

And here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/390957-short-time-offer-on-federal-fz-201/?hl=%2Bfederal#entry6224777

And here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/372285-federal-semi-slick-opinions/?hl=%2Bfederal#entry5954313

thanks duncan, my bad. south pole - tassie. it feels like it atm too, a balmy 0 degrees at 7am and a top of 10....

found my local guy, duh. the guy i get most of my stuff from, revolution. i've started another thread, probably should of just stuck with this one. i should prob ease up on the coffee :woot:

Interesting...I bought my last set of federals about 12 months ago and they were still great - but I have no idea how long they were in a warehouse before I used them.

If they have changed the compound or construction without changing the model number it makes it very hard for the market to know when to trust them and how to rate them.

When yoko moved from A032R to A048R they said they only changed the tread pattern, apparently the compounds and construction didn't change....which was interesting because the A048 were a rubbish tyre with totally different characteristics from A032R. But I guess my point is that they did the right thing and called it a different model when they made changes

the oler compound FZ201 compared to the newer range, I have lost about 3 sec/lap at both lakeside and morgan park on my initial 2/3 laps. I find them to be good value esp if i want to do longer runs but for sprints and hill climbs they are way too hard now and take far too long to get up to temp and grip. overall though I love my V70A's.