SAU Community

Circuit Semi Slicks

Roy

"hate with a passion" is pauline re a muslim, not the feedback on NT01 in this thread. but anyway

if i was running a trailered to the track car I'd be buying cheap slicks.  They are likely to be cheaper and longer lasting for the same grip than any semi slick. you just run the risk of leaving it on the trailer if it rains all day.

Oh, and if you have a 33 gtr for track only it should run 285 or 295 front and rear with a set of rims that suit.  that gives you best traction and the ability to rotate to all 4 corners.

17s are always cheaper than 18s in the same width, so if they clear the brakes 17s are the way to go.  victory to the marketing department for charging more for less rubber....

1 hour ago, GeeDog said:

We've run 245 on 8" rims on the front / 275 on 9" rims on the rear in NT01's at Mallala (I assume that's where you'll be using it) on an R33 GTST with pretty good results - best lap time was 1:21 with slower traffic on the track (ie no clear laps - probably good for sub 1:20 with a clear run). We have a bit less power than you - 320rwkw - and a 2 way diff.

Last time out we swapped the fronts to 235 & rears to 275 Hankook C91 super soft (old used tyres) and did a best time of high 1:18.

I may be interested in selling the NT01's - 245 & 275 in 17's - as they won't fit over our new brakes. Fronts have done 3 events, rears 1 event - pm me if interested. 

what were the c91s worth?

ill let u kno mate 

50 minutes ago, Duncan said:

"hate with a passion" is pauline re a muslim, not the feedback on NT01 in this thread. but anyway

if i was running a trailered to the track car I'd be buying cheap slicks.  They are likely to be cheaper and longer lasting for the same grip than any semi slick. you just run the risk of leaving it on the trailer if it rains all day.

Oh, and if you have a 33 gtr for track only it should run 285 or 295 front and rear with a set of rims that suit.  that gives you best traction and the ability to rotate to all 4 corners.

17s are always cheaper than 18s in the same width, so if they clear the brakes 17s are the way to go.  victory to the marketing department for charging more for less rubber....

gtst mate.

what slicks do you recommend? and rough price? lol as i wont be doing much rain days!

i use these at the drags tho

FB_IMG_1468918331809.jpg

FB_IMG_1468918312478.jpg

FB_IMG_1468918322335.jpg

lol you should probably say, or update your sig then :P (edit: make that profile, I can sort of see it in your sig now:blush:)

you are probably limited to 8" on the front of a 33 gtst unless you are putting larger guards on, and that means no larger than 245s.

as for brand I'd just ring the local motorsport suppliers and see what they have....I haven't bought slicks for years but I think they are worth considering for track only

4 hours ago, Adz2332 said:

what were the c91s worth?

About a second as it turns out:D We bought them for a bargain from someone clearing out a shed - were a bit worried about the age but after a few laps and a bit of heat they came good. 

9 hours ago, GeeDog said:

We've run 245 on 8" rims on the front / 275 on 9" rims on the rear in NT01's at Mallala (I assume that's where you'll be using it) on an R33 GTST with pretty good results - best lap time was 1:21 with slower traffic on the track (ie no clear laps - probably good for sub 1:20 with a clear run). We have a bit less power than you - 320rwkw - and a 2 way diff.

Last time out we swapped the fronts to 235 & rears to 275 Hankook C91 super soft (old used tyres) and did a best time of high 1:18.

I may be interested in selling the NT01's - 245 & 275 in 17's - as they won't fit over our new brakes. Fronts have done 3 events, rears 1 event - pm me if interested. 

how much for the nto1s mate?

2 x 245/45R17 & 2 x 275/40R17 $550 - new cost with shipping to Adelaide is $1100. I can get some pics & measure tread depth if you are interested. Can also supply fitted to 17x8 & 17x9 Enkei RP01 rims.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeeDog said:

2 x 245/45R17 & 2 x 275/40R17 $550 - new cost with shipping to Adelaide is $1100. I can get some pics & measure tread depth if you are interested. Can also supply fitted to 17x8 & 17x9 Enkei RP01 rims.

some pics would be great mate.

if its easier

[email protected]

Yoko AO50's still getting good reports for being able to retain grip after a lot of heat cycles?  A set of 17" Hankook Z214's will cost me about $400 each so the Yoko's will only be good value if they heat cycle longer.

• Like 1

Well its not magic but they appear to hang on pretty well.  Certainly massively better than the 48's if people are to be believed.  I would buy which ever is quicker to start with that way when they degrade (And they will) you will be progressing towards the other tyre.

Swapping them over on the rims left to right, front to rear helps with the wear on the tread blocks too.

Seems to be the Hankook Soft that goes off quickly with heat cycles. The Z214 Medium cycles very well, if Nev's experience with them over a couple of years is anything to go by.

FWIW, Nankangs ran 60.2 at Lakeside yesterday. That's 1.1sec faster than NT01 and less than 4 tenths slower than the Hankook Soft PB. Not bad for cheap rubbish in a medium compound vs probably the fastest semi available. Hell, they make NT01s look expensive! 

• Like 2

Given your experience Harry I'd get a set of Nankangs if they had my sizes. I've ordered a set of soft Z214's in 275 and 245, softs because the Z does not heat tyres much. Except the rears in a straight line :)

more or less what i was thinking....

Might grab a set of the nankangs 265 all round. that way can rotate the tyres.

have to find a set of 18 9.5 +12 or 10.5s rims cheapish