SAU Community

Aca Forum/interview!

BRU2AL

Hi guys and girls,

I'll give everyone a quick run down, basically was at a kebab shop on hwy earlier tonight after i finished work, met up with a couple of the boys, 60 Minutes was there and asked me if i would like to participate in a forum they are conducting next week, to which i agreed. Basically they want to hear what we as car enthusiasts think about being labelled as hoons and want to know what we suggest the govt, local council, and police, do in order to stop cruising on the hwy and other areas. myself and others will be representing car enthusiasts, along with members from the police force govt, council, and a family that has been traumatized by "hoons"

So I'm putting it to you guys to have a say,

- What do you think the govt could do to stop cruising and racing on the hwy?

- Are the police bending the law to keep us off hwy, in the sense that they are handing out defects to every car they see etc.

- is the govt doing enough to ensure we can afford to go to a track?

- Why do we as enthusiasts cruise on the hwy?

Questions like these are going to be brought up.

As i cant talk for everyone, i want to know, what do you guys want to be brought up, any questions you may have, I'd like to hear them so i can bring them up at the forum.

Thanks George

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to be picked for something like this. If you can send them the SAU Vic TV YouTube link and see if they'll also have me on. :thumbsup:

As too topics.

The government could easily build Use At Your Own Risk skid pans out in some factory area away from homes. They do it all the time for skate parks.

With defects they seem to be picking on people who modify their car. Most of the time these modified cars are in really good condition. Unlike some 30 year old rust bucket with faded tail lights. And faded tail lights are deflectable. Because they don't send a clear "indication of your intentions on the road".

Why aren't the police showing respect to car enthusiasts like they used to back in the 80's? Why don't the police still have their own drag cars that we can compete against at the drag strip?

I don't "cruise on the hwy". But I also don't go to clubs. But if I had to do one, I'd go to the hwy. It's safer than going to a club. There's no drunks. (Or there shouldn't be). And I know that while the people I meet might not like my car. I'm going to get respect for being a fellow car "nut".

Just a few little points from me.

- - Laith...

I hope this goes well for car enthusiasts, but this kind of concerns me with the angle they may be taking...

and a family that has been traumatized by "hoons"

Got a feeling the car enthusiasts will need some good politician skills to avoid being slammed on air / made to look like idiots by 60 minutes.

Also, on the topic of car enthusiasts being labelled as hoons, I can see some very blurred lines occurring there. You'd want to be careful in defining terms prior to using them.

^^ as above, this does worry me.

You'd have to be a well Educated and informed enthusiast, not to mention sensible, very calm and very very smart and careful about what you say.

Even if you were all of the above...they'll probably edit it to make you look stupid anyway...

Look I hope this works...but you have to be extremely careful, make valid points and be very clear on a line between enthusiasts and hoons.

One point I know is probably irrelevant here but interesting in terms of defects...I'm a mechanic and pink slips are done in my workshop.... I don't understand how a police officer can defect you for not complying with an ADR eg. No reverse lights/ not having two speeds of windscreen wiper. However neither of these is a fail on a pink slip, to legally continue to have your car roadworthy. Just like windows don't have to go up or down to pass pink slip.... Lexen windows to save weight here I come...but you'd get defected for it :/

ADRs and registration checks (pink slips) in nsw do not correspond at all..... How can you get defected for something that would legally pass a rego inspection allowing your car to retain its road worthiness ?

Hmmm, this could end bad for us. Good luck. Haha

I stand with mark skaife and say increase speed limits on freeway's. Thus your "hoons" can get some speed out of their system. Autobahn for example, great road, much better foundation than Australian roads (so there will be major work for road authorities), multiple lanes, do the speed your comfortable at and everybody should be happy.

But in saying that, drivers need more driver training. Advance driving course, more stringent tests.

f**king awesome if we could get a autobahn type highway in oz. I would go to it weekly and get that speed build up out of my system rather going to a track once or twice a year.

it’s a smear campaign

think about it

every story on 60 minutes is aimed at a smear with usually only bad things

they just edit out the good things

they are in the business of making controversy and stories that are "hoo haa"

they are not "the debate" or "foreign correspondent" on the ABC/SBS

I have actually done one of these interviews before with a newspaper journalist...I'll try and find the article. It is very easy to get lost in what you're saying, say too much etc. or have them twist/edit your words to suit them. Fortunately this one turned out alright and made me / SAU Vic look very good!

Haha!

With you crazy long logical post and Ash's blunt point of view...

You two would be best to get the good message across.

I don't think long and logical would be an advantage in this kind of debate. Blunt more so perhaps. You need to be precise, to the point and be able to twist a hidden accusation back at the speaker. Much like a political debate they will ask you questions that put you in a corner with only one answer in the viewers eyes. You are answering to the short attention span of the viewer on the other side of the TV hence why purely logic and long might not be so affective.

I'll be interested to see if they allow Ash or anyone else who writes in to join the forum. Sounds as though they may be banking on the high possibility that drivers they pick up from a Kebab shop won't be trained in debating.

Can't see it doing much good for us :(

I don't think long and logical would be an advantage in this kind of debate. Blunt more so perhaps. You need to be precise, to the point and be able to twist a hidden accusation back at the speaker. Much like a political debate they will ask you questions that put you in a corner with only one answer in the viewers eyes. You are answering to the short attention span of the viewer on the other side of the TV hence why purely logic and long might not be so affective.

I'll be interested to see if they allow Ash or anyone else who writes in to join the forum. Sounds as though they may be banking on the high possibility that drivers they pick up from a Kebab shop won't be trained in debating.

Can't see it doing much good for us :(

Yeah, what I mean is, Birds writes the ammo for Ash and he fires off with full artillery :thumbsup:

While Ash also lock and loads his point of view.

Still a bit bitter I got a defect when I went from Winton Raceway to Benalla and filled up some fuel and headed back to the track. Yes the GT wing is defectable and I was in the wrong, but I know the same police defected heaps of cars the previous weekend that Drift Matsuri was on and shown no leniency for people taking it to the track.

So in short, all the guys drifting/tracking drove over 5 hours (round trip) to do the right thing but got petty defects which could be cleared easily. My point is, if we are going to get defected for trying to do the right thing, might as well drive on the street and get done for actually doing the wrong thing.