SAU Community

Colds N Flu

GTR-N1

Agree with this so much! It's such a selfish **** thing to do. I was eating in at Nandos the other day with some friends and one of them was coughing as he normally does (or so I thought), because he's a smoker...I asked him where he'd been lately, as I hadn't seen him at the gym of recent...he says he's had a cold / still does, so hasn't been going to the gym -_-

I absolutely hate catching colds, it's just a waste of time/life and I can't enjoy anything while sick. So because of their selfish bullshit and short sightedness, I have to use up my work sick days and take a few days off my life! And people get offended when they cough in my car and I open the windows...or when I keep my distance from someone who is known to have a cold...or when someone asks for a sip of my drink and I ask them if they have a cold? I've had people confess to having a cold after I ask that question! Fuck off mate, just because you got infected doesn't mean you should suddenly become apathetic about spreading disease.

People who suck water out of the bottle filler instead of the mouth spout at the gym water fountain...WTF

/rant

It would be great if we all felt not-guilty of calling up a sick day when we have a cold, but in reality some work places still expect you come to work unless your really really sick :(

I know at my work unless I'm dying I'm still expected at work even if I have a cold. Boss's would rather you come into work and spread the germs then not come in at all lol :down:

Also know alot of other workplaces like this

Not so sure about the science behind your argument Hanaldo. Bacteria may be all around us but they aren't all pathogenic or strong enough to affect us. They are the kind of bacteria that the human body already has antibodies to protect itself from, and it does depend a great deal on this bacteria remaining external to the human body. There is a reason you will catch a cold from kissing someone but not from touching them with your elbow...it's the level of exposure, the concentration and where you come into contact with the pathogens that matter. A lot of pathogens actually die out in the open air, without a host or vessel...like the HIV virus. You wouldn't dare lick a bathroom door handle or the floor, even if they didn't have a bad taste!

The argument behind washing hands and taking these precautions is that our hands will inevitably make contact with objects/food, or parts of our body with mucus membrane (gateways to inside the body), therefore increasing the level of exposure to the pathogen. So it is more about controlling the variables as much as possible to reduce the possibility of catching disease. It does work. To use a bad dyphemism, it's like abstaining from sleeping with those infected by HIV. Or simply observe the stringent practices that people with pathologicaly or physiologically weak immune systems need to undergo just to stay alive. There's no reason those of us with healthy immune systems can't employ some of these methods to avoid the diseases that, whilst may not kill us, can present a bigger pain in the ass than opening a door with toilet paper :)

mann .. i get the fever + flu so much

i don't know whether it is from being food poisoned or not these days...

When i get food poisoning a fever comes on

.. when i get the flu \ fever i get stomache aches..

how the hell does that work..

I am currently recovering from my fever since 3 days ago burned up quiet hard..

Now i got bad stomache ache's for 1+ days already fever died down...:mad:

• 3 weeks later...

How's it goin' ^^^ ?

Immunologists reckon this winter season will be a bad one for Flu.

I guess we'll find out if people start dropping like flies - come June/July

i agree with the basic principal of

-play in the mud,

-dont worry too much about it and build a hardened immune system

-use common sence

-get sick - chuck sickie - get over it

if all else fails, broad spectrum antibiotic (rum)

i get a cold about 1nce a year and i am sick for 3 days then im over it...the end....and i get to drink rum :)

• 1 month later...

65% of Flu admissions into hospital in the past week are aged between 15-44.

Apparently sneezing into your arm > less likely spread across the masses than into your hand/s.

Yup was dying last week for about 6 days of the flu. Longest I've ever had it. Everything was hurting - eyes, nose, ears, throat, chest.

Started with a seriously itchy pallate for a day and hit me hard the next day. A mate also got similarly sick at the same time but ended up in hospital with pneumonia after 3 days of it.

Yes, I still recall my last flu in 82 where the nerves behind the eyes all hurt. You'd swear the eyes did in fact hurt > weird sh!t

In the public eye, it only takes some lax hygiene in a football club for 6 or more players to go down like flies > team performance drops off for 2 weeks; maybe more

I believe in a balance and clean diet and supplementation for Gym and life in general.

My current regime is a little intense for some ppl however i believe it is one of the reasons why i am not sick that often and why i can overcome things quite quickly.

High protein diet, good quality carbs.

stage my day this way (yes its a heap of food, however for gym, bulking up clean living etc it really works.

-red meat for breakfast with almonds

-red meat w/green vegies

-lunch chicken/white meat with mixed salad/vegies

-arvo tea, tuna w/vegies

-dinner white meat/mince/fish/other seafood w/ brown rice/sweet potato/mixed salad.

Of course this is very brief however it is mixed up quite a bit, i do eat a heap but i need it lol.

my supplements i take to help me sleep better, recover, improve my immunity etc are as follows

-multi vitamin (source a good quality one, u can tell the difference, also an organic or herb one will help) swiss from coles is wasting ur $$

-zinc (through morning to aid digestion)

-magnesium (end of day and before bed, helps u sleep)

-inner health plus

-fibre mixed in with a drink usually once a day before bed.

I try to avoid if i can help it, fried food, take away, excess sugars in soft drinks coloured stuff etc etc.

You can eat well, cheaply, lose weight, and bulk up, improve immunity etc all in the one go. i cook all my food for work and have boxes etc. it requires time prep and time organisation.

Also coupled with this regular exercise, i do gym, i do running, i do rock climbing, mountain biking, martial arts boxxing etc, i like to keep active.

SLEEEP!! is one of the most important areas of bodybuilding, recovery, training etc etc. your ideal times are between 10pm and 2am which is where u will sleep the deepest and recover and create precious chemicals to grow, digest and repair. THis is also important for when your sick. combined with magnesium you can drift off faster and get in to that deep zone earlier.

if you take this quite broadly this will be the biggest and easiest way to avoid cold flu's staying sick by kick starting your immune system.

I also use protein shakes, vitamins etc etc to keep everything good.

I have high iron levels, great blood pressure, above average resting heart rate from last blood test etc and visit to GP when i had glandular fever.

i would also have to add in there, stay away from sick ppl no matter how hot they are lol, air conditioned work areas will incubate sickness so stay home!!

i try to stay away from drugs, medicine where possible but it is important if you get some, finish the whole packet, not just to when your feeling better.

cheers

• 10 months later...

H3N2

...will arrive pretty soon.

My experience as a pharmacist is that if it doesn't arrive till the end of June, it won't take a huge toll.

If it arrives in May, watch out.

This is the one you can vaccinate against. With H7N9, you can't: you just die.

Vaccinations take a few weeks to become effective. If your immune system has been compromised of late, I'd get vaccinated.

H1N1

If you have toddlers at preschool or infants, vaccination is recommended for the family. You can't see 'em; but through crappy hygiene, you'll feel 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive!! I had to take anti-biotics for a wound on my arm earlier in the year, this was the first time I had ever taken anti-biotics, it completely ruined my immune system and I caught a flu that my house mates had. They had another flu recently, and I did not catch it. Not a fan of anti-biotics (same for flu tablets etc) unless really need, like a bad wound.

smile.gif

You're better off avoiding antibiotics as much as possible as the body can build up immunity to it. It's bad enough that there is now antibiotic resistant bugs

Yeah there's no useful antibiotic..

Antibiotics are useful as long as they're to overused.

To take that a step further, I also use that piece of toilet paper like a glove (sort of) to open the door to get out of the toilet too, both the cubical and the airlock door

Simple solution, don't use public toilets. I avoid touching public door handles unles I have to, especially at work. I also turn flick taps on with my elbows.

I get the flu shot every year

Flu shot doesn't cover you for all the strains anyway.

Sorry if I come across as insensitive, I've never been good at arguing my point without causing offense. Wiping your hands on things such as toilet paper or your trousers is rubbish, it does nothing to remove germs. Did you never do the 'glitter' test in primary school where you put glitter on your hands and then try to get it off with a paper towel or any other means? 99% of it stays on your hands. Germs are the same, so the notion that you could clean your hands with toilet paper or on your clothes is quite frankly ridiculous.Then consider how fast bacteria reproduces. Bacteria population can double in size in under 10 minutes. That's why these adverts for hand cleansers that kill "99%" of the germ population on your hands annoy me, because 99% is not enough. When you are talking millions and millions of bacteria that can double population size in under 10 minutes, 99% does nothing. Hence, you are always crawling with bacteria. Always always always, there is absolutely nothing you can do about that. Right now, you are supporting between 2 and 10 million bacteria just between your fingers and your elbow. Expand that thought into every other aspect in your life. When you wash dishes, do you use a brand new cloth to do so? Do you use a brand new tea towel to dry with? If you don't, the damp environment in those cloths is absolute heaven to bacteria. You then put that tea towel down on the kitchen counter, those bacteria are now crawling all over your counter top. Put a plate of food down on that counter top and the bacteria transfer to there. You can see where I'm going with this. It's the same when it comes to wiping your hands on things.It's an impossible task, even the most obsessive of clean-freaks can do nothing about it. In the end, the only thing stopping you from getting sick is your own immune system. 99.9999% of the time your body will crush those bacteria easily. It's when your immune system is not up to the task that you get sick, so the best preventative method is to keep your body fit and healthy. Whatever is going on outside your body will ultimately not make much difference, because these germs are absolutely everywhere anyway.So yes, wash your hands after you have been to the toilet, etc. etc. Do all that is practical to stay healthy, but going to the extent of pushing the pedestrian crossing button with your elbow is ridiculous because in 20 minutes the bacteria that were on that button have spread exponentially from your elbow to your hands anyway, it's pointless.

We did the glitter test at Uni with the black light. Really shows if you don't wash your hands properly.

When i get food poisoning a fever comes on

.. when i get the flu \ fever i get stomache aches..

36 to 37.3 in an adult is like your car running halfway. 38c is like running hot and you start putting organs at risk. Stomach ache explained.

How's it goin' ^^^ ?Immunologists reckon this winter season will be a bad one for Flu

I hope not. I work in a hospital and it'll take so much time out of my day if I have to own and glove for every room

Apparently sneezing into your arm > less likely spread across the masses than into your hand/s.

Yep cos your arm doesn't touch door handles, stop button on buses ect.

H1N1

If you have toddlers at preschool or infants, vaccination is recommended for the family. You can't see 'em; but through crappy hygiene, you'll feel 'em.

The kindy my son goes to has a mild chlohexadene wash at the sinks and a simple prettier version of a full 60 second hand wash poster on the wall. I've been into hospitals with less Handwashing posters than the Kindy.

H7N9

I sincerely hope we don't have to watch out for this one.

Am still trying to ascertain if it has started to transmit from human to human.

Researchers are still trying to find out how this bird flu is being transmitted from chickens to humans ;)