SAU Community

Lets Talk Water Meth Injection

My mate ran his 3076 .63 car up with E85 and a water injection nozzle.

Unfortunately between this and the last tune, he changed to a thicker headgasket and arp studs., something has gone asmiss, it went from

making 334rwkw at 7000rpm, to 300 at 5500rpm and nosing over.

Until the problem is found out, all i can tell you at this stage, after 5 ish pulls power starts dropping from heatsoak like usual

After adding a 50cc jet with pure water, , Theres no power loss!, a cooler intercooler pipework and lucky to be 1rwkw difference every pull, even after 2 hrs of pulls

Enough for Pete at nistune to say its the most consistent car hes ever tuned ..ever... once the water injection was switched on

if anyone want a water injection controller, i have my Coolingmist CGMS gauge for sale, $150 p.m me, im taking the pump system out and putting it on

another car and don't need controller

cheers

darren

Afte

Edited by jet_r31

Hopefully the issue is sorted soon.

That's an amazing difference by injecting only 50ccs!

Mine is on but not yet tuned, also chucked on a 3076, hopefully tune in a month or so,then take it to the drags again.

• 1 year later...

update:

found problem was a boost leak in one of cooler joins after dyno

Put car back on a 4wd mainline dyno this time, its best before on a rwd one was 338rwkw on 16psi on e85 with driveshaft removed

Anyway made 310rwkw on 16psi in 4wd mode.

Increased boost all the way up till it holds 27psi in the midrange and 22psi up top with a turbotech bleeder

340rwkw 4th gear, 22psi. with 4wd connected upwith a 3076 56t .63 housing with a 38mm external gate jammed on exhaust housing on stock mani/ jjr return flow cooler and stock neo motor..

crosses 200awkw at 4000 ish rpm

would be around 355-360rwkw...in 2wd

Scary thing is at that level..its still making power lol. its nearly tapped out though .. .but mate chickened out

After 2 hrs again, awkw never strayed beyond 1awkw difference with a return flow cooler/ 50cc pre turbo jet/ straight water and a .63 housing wound up tight..

its a basic setup, but makes the power..

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31
  • Like 1

A bloke with a 4L falcon non intercooled turbo setup used a multimeter to measure charge air temp. Before And after WMI there was around a 70deg Farenhiet difference. It was actually better results than the intercooler he trailed.

Yeh its good, Im building a rb30 vl streeter atm, im going to just use water/meth inj so i dont have to go to airport 30 mins away to buy e85

or i will just never drive it...

I think i can run a 9 sec pass with it and 98 octane with a mid frame turbo quite easily..time will tell...

cheers

darren

Plenty of safety precautions on the aquamist kit, an I think it's necessary on any setup for it to cut automatically n either drop u back to low boost or limit ur revs should a injector clog or u just run out of water/ break a line ect. Wanted to put a water meth kit on but neither of the tuners I used in Brisbane had much experience in tuning it an didn't recommend it. Now I got n Eflex tune instead but it's about 3 hours to the closest servo that sells it so I drive round on 98 99% of the time. Getting it tuned now to e85, it's only n hour n a half to the closest servo n it's more common.

Honestly, ive had it on all my cars now, and daily drivers..if you run out of water, your a absolute moron...seriously..

injector clogging is from running meth in the mix..just dont run it..and half the morons don't run a filter..as the cheap kits dont have them in them

running a filter is 100 percent needed if there any amount of meth run in the system...

cheers

darren

Theres plenty of failsafes you can put in place. My aquamist kit has low level, low flow and over flow which is set up to trigger a map switch in the ecu. Also got engine protection in the ecu as a extra safety net. I honestly can't see it being anymore risky than having a pump or injector fail with a tune on straight fuel

What sort of extra timing on average has everyone managed to add?

Just my 2c from experience running wmi on my td42 patrol, if its already been mentioned sorry. Do not run the injector before the turbo as over time it will damage your fins, also run it after the intercooler as it can cause 'pooling' inside and ultimatley cause serious engine damage. Also pays to run a check valve as ive had injector leakage and caused hydraulic lock. Hope thats contibuted, cheers brodie

Theres plenty of failsafes you can put in place. My aquamist kit has low level, low flow and over flow which is set up to trigger a map switch in the ecu. Also got engine protection in the ecu as a extra safety net. I honestly can't see it being anymore risky than having a pump or injector fail with a tune on straight fuel

10 degrees..lol

Just my 2c from experience running wmi on my td42 patrol, if its already been mentioned sorry. Do not run the injector before the turbo as over time it will damage your fins, also run it after the intercooler as it can cause 'pooling' inside and ultimatley cause serious engine damage. Also pays to run a check valve as ive had injector leakage and caused hydraulic lock. Hope thats contibuted, cheers brodie

no solenoid?

Pretty keen to see the gains in mine on high boost setting. Alternator shit itself when we went to do the water/meth tune. Even an extra 5deg should make a huge difference

you have a gtx3540?

I did a vl with a 3540 1.06 internal gay..t

we ran 30psi and 20 degrees of timing on pump 98 and 450cc of water/methanol 50/50 mix

raced it for a year like that. Went 10.4 @134 mph s.. manual.

Only took it of to upgrade to precision 6466 turbo and did e85 as i took my water inj setup back of it

cheers

darren

you have a gtx3540?

I did a vl with a 3540 1.06 internal gay..t

we ran 30psi and 20 degrees of timing on pump 98 and 450cc of water/methanol 50/50 mix

raced it for a year like that. Went 10.4 @134 mph s.. manual.

Only took it of to upgrade to precision 6466 turbo and did e85 as i took my water inj setup back of it

cheers

darren

Pretty impressive results there.

Yeah mine's a GTX35 with 1.06 T4 rear. Made 290rwkw with 17psi and 17deg on straight 98 through the powerglide. Once its actually got some boost in it then it should wake up a bit.

My tuner told me on a 650whp/23-25psi on 94 octane ( canadian rating), I should only use my aquamist for '' cleaning'' purpose more than to add power. have you guys felt the same ? Seems like most of your result are with E85 instead of pure petrol.

At this point, I'm wondering if its worth the hassle and the price just to clean the motor !? Please share your input as I'm about to make a decision either I part it or keep it on the car.

Of course it's not to clean the motor. It does clean the motor, but that's not why it is used.

It does one thing and one thing only, although it does it via more than one direct mechanism. It cools the intake charge directly, which improves the motor's ability to make power without knock, and it also adds water into the charge which improves the charge's ability to soak up abuse in the cylinder without knocking. Win win.

Sound like he is scared to tune to it.

If you just put it on you will drop a few hp since combustion is slowed. If your running it just in case you get a bad batch of fuel it might be tuned to the raggered edge.

To use it to clean your engine, upper engine cleaner is more convenient.