SAU Community

R34 Gtt Noise Lifter

Ruxis

Yeah that's what I thought, buying a rocker cover and cam gasket kit. Time to go digging!!

Yeah pretty sure why?? Got the best mechanic in Wollongong to do it and got him to double check it after the noise started. Pretty well know gates belts make that noise. Wish I knew that before I got the bloody thing

• 7 years later...
On 30/03/2012 at 9:09 AM, Ruxis said:

Yeah that's what I thought, buying a rocker cover and cam gasket kit. Time to go digging!!

Yeah pretty sure why?? Got the best mechanic in Wollongong to do it and got him to double check it after the noise started. Pretty well know gates belts make that noise. Wish I knew that before I got the bloody thing

Did you ever find a fix? My 34 gtt has the exact same noise, only a but quieter 

• 9 months later...

I think mine is either missing the shim completely, or something is way more wrong than just the clearence haha I pulled the cam covers off and nothing looks out of place. It’s been noisey like this since I bought the car 3 years ago. Hasn’t blown up yet so it cant be that serious lol

Edited by Ryno34

My goal was to drive it until it grenaded but here we are several thousand km, and many redlines later. And it doesnt skip a beat lol It hasn’t gotten worse and the car still makes full power.

I honestly have no idea what the noise is.  It’s only noisey at idle and approx. 2000rpm. 1000-1900 or anything higher than 2000 and it sounds fine.

I'd say if it's not a spat out shim (and Neos are shim over bucket so it would be dead easy to see if it was spat), then I'd be dead worried that the VCT gear was about to explode.

I wouldn't have driven that for more than the time taken to get it down to the workshop and the head off.

It’s definitely more from the exhaust side. VCT is intake side. I’ll pull the cover off and have another look. I thought the shims sat inside the bucket under neath. So I was just grabbing the buckets trying to wiggle them by hand. They all seemed tight. Hmm.

Thanks for the info. I’m gonna grab a stethescope and have another listen around. The car runs good. Its just the noise that’s concerning.

5 hours ago, Ryno34 said:

I thought the shims sat inside the bucket under neath

That's the one bad thing about Neos, compared to 26s. Typically OHC engines with shims have them under the bucket. Makes them harder to change if you need to set the clearances, but also much less likely that they will get dislodged in a valve float event. Shim over bucket is "better" (read as cheaper) for the manufacturer and that little better for access if you have to redo the clearances, but they are far more likely to get spat out. Neos have a small reputation for spitting shims. Possibly not justified, all third hand stories, etc.

• Like 2