SAU Community

Faq For Na...please Add Your Feedback

Please add your experiences and tips to service our cars

for

RB20E

RB20DE

RB25DE

RB30E ...etc.

How much oil does the engine take (inc. filter)?

What oil filter does it use? (Z154a??)

What sort of spark plugs should I use in it?

What fuel filter does it use?

What air filter? (stock panel type)

cheers

Joe

RB25DE,

takes approx 5 ltrs of oil, filter is a Z145A and there is a smaller option but the bigger the filter the more filtration = GOOD

Other than that if u drive the car hard use reasonably good quality oil and change it every 5000k's. I flogged my car everywhere and the oil was black after 5000, internally the engine looked like new though. I used Magnatec which was recomended using nething better is not necessary. ummm dont know much else on the engine it self.

check water ever servicee it generally wont go down unless u have a leak though

Power steering change every 40-50000, just use a good quality auto tranny fluid.

Not sure what else, i cant remember pad numbers for it but im sure if u search they will still be on here.

Plugs i wil check soon,

Fuel filter i will also check

Air Filter: use k n n panel same as for the turbo option for your model.

• 2 weeks later...

Engine power

RB25DE

Power: 142 kw@6400 rpm (147kw for series II or 'Type S' variants)

Torque: 231 Nm@4800 rpm

This generally translates to 90-100kw @ the wheels.

Oil change

Engine

I use genuine Nissan oil filter - $9.95 from your local dealer :D

Engine oil capacity

RB20E, RB25DE: 3.8L (not including filter)

RB20E, RB25DE: 4.2L (including filter)

Skyline manual recommends changing oil and oil filter every 15,000km - I change both every 7-10,000km.

Gearbox

I use Castrol VMX80. I'm happy with it. Redline is the best but its expensive.

Gearbox capacity:

RB20E: 2.0L

RB25DE: 2.5L

I used Shell oil for a bit - it was absolute shit, synchros crunched etc. Steer clear of shell gearbox oil.

Diff

I use Castrol EPX80w90. Others have used VMX80 in their diff as well.

Diff capacity:

RB20E non lsd: 1.0L

Active LSD (you have an active LSD light on your dash): 1.6L

Normal LSD: 1.3L

I change my diff oil every 15,000km because my diff is made to do a lot of work ;)

Brake discs

R33 GST25/GTS4

Original thickness: 26mm

Mininum thickness: 24.2mm

Fuel economy

Non turbo skylines have relatively efficient fuel economy compared to turbos. I average 10.9L/100km - this includes a lot of thrashing. The factory quoted figure is 9.6L/100km. Fuel tank capacity is 65 litres.

What petrol

As Japanese cars are tuned for very high quality petrol (high octane) it is advisable to run optimax (Shell), synergy 8000 (Mobil), ultimate (BP). Personally I use synergy 8000 as this is what runs the best. I've used normal premium before and it ran fine, perhaps a bit less responsive though.

Spark plugs

N/A skyline spark plugs

Exhaust

Extractors - People have had good results with Coby extractors, order from www.partsco.com. I use these - they give the engine a much fatter midrange, making the car a lot more fun to drive. They suit both RB20 & 25. Some power gains might be had with the RB25 by using larger diameter piping for the extractors than the Coby extractors (65mm)

Off the extractors 2.5" is the largest diameter piping you should use for RB25DE. Quieten the exhaust with resonators if its too droney.

Air filter

Benefits of a pod filter are ambiguous. I run an apexi pod and on hot days I REALLY notice the drop in power associated with the pod sucking hot air.

Skyline manual recommends to change air filter every 60,000km.

Weight

Factory quoted figure for R33 GTS25 is 1320kg. I recently weighed mine with 1/3 tank of fuel and found it to weigh 1309kg (ABS, hicas, airbag).

General specifications

Had these on my computer for ages, they might be useful to someone.

Turning circle: 10.4 m

Length: 4640mm

Width: 1720mm

Height: 1340mm

Interior length: 1820mm

Interior width: 1415mm

Interior height: 1090mm

Wheelbase: 2720mm

Front track: 1480mm

Rear track: 1470mm

Ground clearance: 145mm

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi I've got a Skyline with a RB20E

I use oil filters from nissan and 'Halfords', sparkplugs by Denso, Replacement panel filter by K&N I'll go get the part numbers a bit later as it is late night and cold outside!!

Fitted the Tein Flex suspension, gambled by ordering the same set as for a R33 GTS and luckily they fit. Non of the parts are ever listed for this car in any catalogue, always have to buy at my risk!

Just a question regarding this car...it is very difficult to find parts for it! no one even knows it exists, I bought it in error to the RB20DE...but I'm not too concerned cos i don't race it.

Anyone know the stud fitment of this car? it is 4-stud instead of the GTRs 5-stud hubs. I was hoping someone has one of these cars and has been able to find alloys off a 4-stud 200SX/Silvia to fit! If so could someone let me know which model they have tried? I really need some new alloys but here in the UK they only seem to play with the GTRs...

I'm also after sparkplug leads to replace the old ones that may have been there for several years! was told the GTR does not have leads, just coils?! what brands should i look for?

Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hey, could I please ask what kind of air filter an RB25DE stock air box would take?

Thanks.

i believe they are the same across r32, r33, regardless of turbo or not...

there are a variety, nismo, blitz, apexi, k&n, pipercross, ryco?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
i believe they are the same across r32, r33, regardless of turbo or not...

there are a variety, nismo, blitz, apexi, k&n, pipercross, ryco?

You can even go down to your local Holden dealership and buy an airfilter for a Commodore VS - It will fit in your Skyline - The Holden air filter is surprisingly good and a great price about $14.00 - the later revisions of the Holden filters are oiled, have more pleats and the material seems slighty thinner :P

• 3 months later...
can anyone tell me what services should be done to a r33 series 2 rb25de with only 36,000 on the clock?

standard service, check your fluids.

oil (engine, diff, gearbox, brakefluid)

sparkies

filters

pads

rotors

etc etc etc.

do as much as you can to get a clean slate

• 3 months later...

Hey howz u all going. i've got a 96 series 2 NA and my head lights are for a better word F*&^D i've been defectd enough times now i need new ones do i have to get specificly another set of series 2 head lights or will just ordinary r33 head lights fit. from what i've seen theres nothing to it. Can u please help me thanks :laugh:

• 1 month later...
You can even go down to your local Holden dealership and buy an airfilter for a Commodore VS - It will fit in your Skyline - The Holden air filter is surprisingly good and a great price about $14.00 - the later revisions of the Holden filters are oiled, have more pleats and the material seems slighty thinner :)

What the !?! A Holden air filter in a skyline... It's like some purists who thought putting a GTR engine in the tokyo drift Mustang was unethical, except the mustang is cool and the GTR engine rocks...whereas holdens...

Ok sorry for the rant. Chances are a lot of these filters are probably manufactured by the same companies anyway so as long as you don't have a dodgy badge on the product (e.g. PRIUS badge on your new pod filter), mix and matching is a wise thing to do, and in this case it is a very handy tip

:)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure of the stock size, but 2.5" is the way to go on an N/A Skyline if you want a balance between response and top end power. Any bigger and it becomes louder and you make less power down low.