SAU Community

Piglet's Rebuild Of His Busted Tomei 2.8

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a copy paste job from the OS88 vs Holinger thread but I'll plonk it here also...

For those interested in an OS88, here is the oiling issue that needs to be rectified before you put it in the car. 

The little slot where the light is coming through is the breather for the box. There is no cover for it and the gear acts like a paddle wheel and pumps oil up the hole and through the hose. So a cover will be made to stop this.

The oil breather fitting also needs to be drilled and tapped. My fitting popped out once it got in the car. OS must use clag glue to secure the fitting... it doesn't last.

I am also changing the sensor that lives in the bell housing. 

i should have the box back by the end of the week ?

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

•  
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, something worth updating about!

Gearbox is back in!

Fabrication of PS res is mostly done. The 2 x 4 port MAC valves are mounted.

Airbox, gate lines will hopefully be tomorrow.

Transfer case to front diff shaft uni joints are rooooooooooted. Thats away getting sorted ATM.

2D8250FD-115F-43B8-948B-DB4BE040E3BC_zps

E6CA88E0-FA61-4B0D-B57C-88B6B97EB7B0_zps

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Why 2x 4 port valves? Twin gates I guess?

A 4 port gives better control over a wider spread of pressure. You can get away with less spring in the gate incase you want to turn it down (wet track day etc). Scott wanted 2 valves and considering I didn't have a setup yet, that's what went on. One valve per gate.

Going off "Intune's" car, a combo of 1 bar springs gave a gate pressure of 19 psi or so (going off the tial spring sheet). I've put 0.9 bar springs in. See how we go.

• Like 2

Airbox almost completed. A much larger filter is going in. A K&N RF-1041 which measures 6 inch flange, 7.5 inch base, 5 inch top and 7.5 inches long. Going through the airbox is a spun up 6 inch to 4 inch funnel. The factory airbox snorkel will be also used then off to get coated black!

With any luck, gate lines tomorrow.

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

• Like 2

It is what it is, Pete.

Not using rubber around there, that's bloody lunacy! I'd much prefer not have a rubber line fail and a gate not open when hard up it. Braided -3 lines with heat shield. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• New R34 owned here (from the US) and found a gem, '98 GTT with ~6k miles, super clean & completely stock. When shifting there's no grinding, shifts smooth, etc. The concern I have are 2 things: 1) Only in 2nd and 3rd... when maintaining a slower speed (in traffic as an example) as I let off/on the gas, the shifter will slightly move and vibrate. If the clutch is engaged, none of this happens. It's not bad, but enough to feel like something isn't necessarily right. 2) This mainly happen in 4th or 5th... the shifter slightly bounces up and down, almost like it's riding on unbalanced tires (and I do think the tires are unbalanced as I get a little of that bounce feel at higher speeds, which is maybe why it only happens in 4th/5th). Lastly, and sorry for this noob question but I want to work on this car myself, can someone teach me some on these manual transmissions? Like servicing them, best products to use, etc.; would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    • Coilovers aren't even the first step. Bushes, subframe position and alignment, HICAS elimination, adjustable upper arms and traction arms in order to dial out understeer. All these things need/deserve attention first. ARBs (There's no such thing as a swaybar. Please, everybody, stop calling them that) are useful if you want to limit spring stiffness. Otherwise you can control body roll with springs. Spring and damper rates are a function of road surface, speed and usage. There is no solution that works for all cases.
    • Define "nothing". Is the starter spinning but not the engine? Engine turning but not firing? If the engine is turning but not firing, then you are missing either fuel or spark. You need to find whichever has gone missing.
    • Shitbox Tiguan updates, got the APR OTS tune put back on (no charge for it to be removed/added back), didn't want to just come in just for that (not a fan of wasting people's time for nothing) so I purchased an APR dog bone insert. The boys at German Performance Garage said they would fit it for free too since they had 1x hoist free. Now that's service you don't normally get from most workshops. Anyhow, tune back on, snow grate pulled out, dog bone insert back in and not going to lie, a few smiles when I nailed it around the industrial area heading back onto the M7. Amayama also said 1 to 2.5 month wait for the RB25DE heater hose, yeah why not, car has been off the road for nearly 3, what's a other 2.5?
    • Hmm I'm going to approach this from the other side... What is the car doing that you don't like or what would you like the car to do that is currently isn't doing (handling wise that is)