Piglet's Rebuild Of His Busted Tomei 2.8

Took a few pics of the clutch last night

Flywheel

clutchflywheel.jpg

One of the plates

clutchplate.jpg

Cover

clutchcover.jpg

Done ATLEST 250 7000 RPM + launches. Feels the same as the day I took ownership of the car. It's going straight back in. Very very surprised at the condition of the plates.

Took a few pics of the clutch last night

Done ATLEST 250 7000 RPM + launches. Feels the same as the day I took ownership of the car. It's going straight back in. Very very surprised at the condition of the plates.

Another reason why i am so happy i spent the money on one of these clutches comp spec ftw

Paul, good to see that u stuck with the 2.8. The 3ltr will ruin your gtr due to the mods required with cutting and drilling and stuffing around, you have such a nice example r33...if your car was clapped out then I'd say go to a 3ltr.

Unfortunately when u get the horsepower bug, things break (as per Ian's comment earlier).

Im not a big fan of polished ports.

Heated Air = increased viscosity = extra drag through a smooth port. this has been proven.

I have had my Rb26 head flowed to its maximum ablity without any polishing

Yes it has!

When you look at the list of high powered engines this guy has developed in the last 15 years in Japan from the Drag33 to time attack engines down to current GTR35, you know he has got a little bit of knowledge of what he's doing, plus he's got the runs on the board having built literally 100's of race engines and high performance cars.

End of the day its the complete package that makes everything come together to give a car that has buckets of torque, great power delivery on low boost and isnt going to go bang.

Also you might want to have a real good look at a few other top Japanese engine builders like Jun etc and see what they do.

Are they doing it or have they done it wrong ??

These guys were pushing the boundries of the RB before most owners here were out of wetting their beds.

Its easy to say yes this is proven and thats proven but how many of you guys have built engines and own cars like these guys in Japan have built and still do.

Have you guys actually been and seen what the Jap top tuners build ???

For example in Australia how many 9 sec cars are there..Japan 10 years ago they were being pumped out left right and centre.

Nowdays hardly any and thats due to economic differences e.g Japan is going down the tube big time so nobody has the coin anymore.

Sadly the RB in Japan today is a dinasaur, alike to the old golden Holden 308 , yes parts are still available and the odd build still happens but this is due to just being for bread and butter money. The focus now and the in future is well and truly the GTR35.

At the end of the day you have to look at what Pauls building here. This is not a knuckledragger engine, its being built for all round high performance and high response so he can take it out to the circuit and go very quick but still enjoy a Sunday drive but have all sorts of anger under the loud pedal.

He might have a little bit of knowledge but if those inlet ports are polished (which they kind of look like they are) there are deficiencies in how that inlet port will perform... that is the bottom line, it is FACT! Whether he has built 10 engines or 100 means nothing. Plus the fact that this head also has +1.5mm inlet valves is a whole other issue...

I don't think it is right to continue this on Piggaz's thread, apologies mate. Marcus send me a PM or email if you like.