SAU Community

Suspension To Firm!

OK, so i purchased my R34 GTT just over a year ago,

It came with

Tein Drift Spec Adjustable Coilovers, with black springs.

Great in the corners, shit for every day use, feels like someone is punching me in the kidneys when i go over a bump..

Im wondering if anyone can provide some info on springs availiable for Teins, as the site is very unhelpfull, and google search have not shown what i am after.

Can i simply run softer springs?

Will the struts just be fighting the springs if i do?

Is there a cheap alternative that i have not thought of?

Am i better off selling the Teins and starting fresh with something else?

If so what are these Teins worth?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

I have bc on my gtt and I find them a little to stiff tbh I even played with the settings and didnt notice any real difference. On my gtr I have nismo s tunes and there perfect!

Find out what your current spring rate is as a reference to start with. There some spring rate calculators out there if the spring rate sticky is dead. I went from 10/8.5 to 8.2/6.4 and its way better but still too stiff for street. Would be about right for track only (they came out of a race car). I bought the Tein NAs second hand for $700. I think I sold my old, non-height adjustable Teins for around $400.

I have bc on my gtt and I find them a little to stiff tbh I even played with the settings and didnt notice any real difference. On my gtr I have nismo s tunes and there perfect!

Personal preference always plays a big part

I had Nismo S Tune and IMO they were rubbish! Way too hard.

Find out what your current spring rate is as a reference to start with. There some spring rate calculators out there if the spring rate sticky is dead. I went from 10/8.5 to 8.2/6.4 and its way better but still too stiff for street. Would be about right for track only (they came out of a race car). I bought the Tein NAs second hand for $700. I think I sold my old, non-height adjustable Teins for around $400.

Do this - find out what is actually in there first, and go from there.

Just throwing it out there..........would heavier wheels make for a better ride with firm springs?

Not really. Unsprung weight is always bad. The heavier a wheel is, the harder it is to control. You need more spring to limit how far the heavier wheel can move, but you also need more damper to stopit from yo-yoing around.

Super Drifts are an aggressively valved shock absorber matched to a stiff rated spring. Great for drift/track, no good for a comfy ride.

Sell them and buy some TEIN SuperStreets or a Bilstein PSS coilover kit.

Personal preference always plays a big part I had Nismo S Tune and IMO they were rubbish! Way too hard.

Yeah I guess personal preference does play a big part but really you think there way to hard? Ive never had any one complain that there too hard and they definitely dont have that real stiff bounce when driving around the streets. You can feel them absorbing the bumps, where as the bc will sometimes bounce you of your seat. Curios what are you currently using?

Yeah I guess personal preference does play a big part but really you think there way to hard? Ive never had any one complain that there too hard and they definitely dont have that real stiff bounce when driving around the streets. You can feel them absorbing the bumps, where as the bc will sometimes bounce you of your seat. Curios what are you currently using?

Racepace Tiens, basically the only thing that is "Tien" is the body :)

But it's triple the price of what you guys are talking about here so not overtly relevant.

I just found the rear very tail happy with Nismo S-Tunes in there, seemed to not be very forgiving to the road at all. They weren't too hard of a spring rate either. Think 8kgs

Sell them and buy some TEIN SuperStreets or a Bilstein PSS coilover kit.

^ this. I've got Tein Superstreets. Aus spec. surprisingly comfortable for a coilover.

prob not the best choice for track work. but excellent for road use IMO. especially when paired with some aftermarket swaybars 24mm/22mm for eg.

^ this. I've got Tein Superstreets. Aus spec. surprisingly comfortable for a coilover.

prob not the best choice for track work. but excellent for road use IMO. especially when paired with some aftermarket swaybars 24mm/22mm for eg.

Yes, Aus-Spec coilovers for road use work incredibely well and aren't too stiff at all IMO.