SAU Community

Model Builders.....1:24 Scale Goodness

V8skylineMAN

I used to spray holding the interior of the model; but managed to get a thumb print on the sill every time I went to put the damn thing down!

If you look carefully you'll see the spray booth is actually an old Coopers slab. Very useful to have a range beer products on hand for a build like this!

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get some finer details onto the model this time around. Have decided to go for tan/chocolate C210 interior rather than black, so it a bit easier to see what's happening. Maybe that isn't the smartest idea though, seeing I have the hands of an hyperactive, alcoholic, coffee addict.

post-26626-0-00011400-1336114209_thumb.jpg

Trying to get some finer details onto the model this time around. Have decided to go for tan/chocolate C210 interior rather than black, so it a bit easier to see what's happening. Maybe that isn't the smartest idea though, seeing I have the hands of an hyperactive, alcoholic, coffee addict.

Have you considered swinging the doors and making the lights work?

I watched a youtube video on a guy who cuts his doors and bonnets open with a scalpel and builds his own hinges. It's pretty tempting... but I might attempt it on an old botched model first, so if it all goes wrong it's no big loss. Getting working lights on would be unreal. I've got a DISM diecast with working lights, and it looks very cool.

That man's models are absolutely amazing - shame my Japanese isn't up to scratch.

I take it that he is sculpting all of his engines and bodykits etc out of styrene and putty?

Looking good! Missing gearknob?

Yes... for now.

While the paint was drying I chopped up an early abortion of a model to see how I'd go swinging the doors, having never tried before. Ugly as sin, but the basic principles are there, i.e. it opens and closes.

post-26626-0-54927000-1338026592_thumb.jpg

post-26626-0-32360600-1338026619_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I watched a youtube video on a guy who cuts his doors and bonnets open with a scalpel and builds his own hinges. It's pretty tempting... but I might attempt it on an old botched model first, so if it all goes wrong it's no big loss. Getting working lights on would be unreal. I've got a DISM diecast with working lights, and it looks very cool.

I built an 1/32 scale E Type Jag once, in my teenage years. Cut the doors and bonnet out with a jewelers hacksaw & swung them on custom wire hinges. I still have the frame, just not having much luck getting blades for it.

D

Better results this time with masking, polishing and detail work.

Still lots of tidying to do though...

Where them wheels come from? I could use a couple of sets of them to make my PJR cars more accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

They came with my Aoshima C210 coupe. Close inspection reveals that they aren't actually Nissan wheels, but read Hart Racing. I've got a set in chrome I can send you if you want to PM me your address.

post-26626-0-08746700-1341885967_thumb.jpg