SAU Community

1984 R30 Hatchback Ti Questions

atko

g'day all, sorry to make my first post a bit of a know-nothing question, but i'm really really interested in getting the hatchback R30. there are very few around and in the past six months only two have popped up in tasmania, the first one was great and reasonably priced, but devastated, i just didn't qute have the money at the stage. another appeared on gumtree just a few weeks back, it was a manual and ticked all the boxes, but to my disappointment was one of the 6-cyl 2.4 models, without the aircon, power windows or central locking. their fuel economy (according to the depths of the internet) is pretty terrible and in my situation i am willing to fix parts but not have such a high ongoing cost. my question to any skyline veterans is... how often do these come around in your experience? are the 1.8 ltr 4-cyl only automatics? should i wait? i have become obsessed but don't have a car at the moment and am considering getting something in the meantime, but i just can't let them go and nothing compares!

thanks in advance, joe

EDIT: also, one of my other options is this reasonably mint 1982 datsun pulsar, i'm not 100% about whether i can talk about things other than skylines but here is the link: http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Used-Cars/AdNumber=TP004786325 ... anyone know much about them? it seems like a bucketload as a saw one with similar k's go for $800

Edited by atko

ALL of the R30's sold by Nissan in Australia were 6cyl 2.4E versions and you're right, the economy is fairly poor off the shelf. To my knowledge we in Aus never got the 1.8 version unless by private import.

As for the N10 Pulsar ...... Are you an enthusiast, or do you want just a car to drive?

That N10 is farely rare in that form (coupe) and with 189K on the dial and from the description, I think it's a GEM. I had a 2 door sedan once and it was a fun thing and with a little bit of effort you could make it something special. And they are quite economical.

Remember though, it's a small car and if you need a car the size of a Skyline, the N10 wont cut the mustard, but if you're looking for something as a get about, you van do a lot worse.

If you have the money, grab it before I go to Tassie and beat you to it.

Cheers, D

• 1 month later...

http://www.gumtree.c...alue/1002041586 here is the skyline, just as an update that i ended up buying... it's a dream. really good nick. i had my mechanic check it out and he reckons it's a 'solid unit', had no problems for the last month and i couldn't want much more. fuel efficiency turned out to not really be a problem. i was also coming back to this topic, instead of starting a new one, because i was wondering if anyone was wrecking one of these model skylines or new a good place to get parts? i sort of would like to put in a new glove box and maybe other parts too, i just want to bring the interior back, because it has a few solid scratches. (on that note, does anyone know a good way to get them out without having to replace the sections?)

thanks

post-93421-0-08668100-1339320547_thumb.jpeg

post-93421-0-96470200-1339320552_thumb.jpeg

• 5 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2012 at 7:29 PM, atko said:

http://www.gumtree.c...alue/1002041586 here is the skyline, just as an update that i ended up buying... it's a dream. really good nick. i had my mechanic check it out and he reckons it's a 'solid unit', had no problems for the last month and i couldn't want much more. fuel efficiency turned out to not really be a problem. i was also coming back to this topic, instead of starting a new one, because i was wondering if anyone was wrecking one of these model skylines or new a good place to get parts? i sort of would like to put in a new glove box and maybe other parts too, i just want to bring the interior back, because it has a few solid scratches. (on that note, does anyone know a good way to get them out without having to replace the sections?)

thanks

post-93421-0-08668100-1339320547_thumb.jpeg

post-93421-0-96470200-1339320552_thumb.jpeg

Still available  ur car?