SAU Community

My12 Gtr Wr600 Club Spec

Great post Brian

I've driven both, (F6 & R35) not owned both though. Interested in your opinion on which car is better, on a purely 'value for money' comparison for street use only. A new F6 for 55K approx or a new R35 at 170k approx. Certainly agree with you about the ZF, it's no DSG but it's probably one of the best non DSG trannys around.

Edited by GT-R OZ

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s amusing when guys get on here and talk about how good cars other than the GTR’s are, when they don’t actually own those cars, nor drive them back to back against the R35.

Both my F6’s would clean up my R35 the other side of 100mph, having done 138mph in manual & 132 (flat 11.) in ZF auto down the quarter, so would my STi with the same power as my GTR and 450kg less weight. Given that the only time these speeds are done is at the strip it is an irrelevant comparison. F6’s are good cars, basically taxis (my daily driver), and can go very fast after appropriate mods. But my GTR is near stock, with exhaust and cleanup tune, but something like a W600 upgrade it would be very different. Good launch AND good top end, and low 10 second pass in street trim.

What the people running 11 second times in F6’s don’t tell you is that they have to run wide MT tyres because they can’t get traction.

I owned a VL Calais turbo from ’88 to ’96; great car in it’s day with T04 turbo, but ultimately no traction, braking or handling.

None are anything near the class or complete package of the R35. Nothing brings more of a smile to my face than driving off in the R35 after getting out of my other turbo cars. None can accelerate anything like the R35. ZF trans is a great trans, but no match for a dsg.

My son, who is an Evo devotee, and recently came 2nd outright in the Evo nationals, was pleasantly surprised just how good the R35 was around the track on stock brakes and tyres with 1:05 around Wakefield. GTR stock pads are not track friendly.

Very good package you have here Martin with the W600.

Brian

^ this + 1

Its great to see some sensible feedback. My 09 STi Spec R is my daily and I've also owned other Evos and STi's over my time, but to be honest the GT-R always rings my bells. I've been in an F6 before (passenger only), but TBH the shopping cart interior was disappointing, and the only thing that really stood out was the delicious exhaust growl curtesy of a cat delete.

Edited by Wardski

I've personally been in my mates evo8mr which had over 300kw and that was fun and agile...that owner is now selling to get back into a gtr (r32) as he doesn't like the feel and quality of the evo, he is a former gtr owner.

Went in my other mates f6 and he also had a 10sec ba which was a donkey of a car...both cars blew components which gave him the shits and in fact the ba doors were starting to misalign (chassis twist)...both are now sold and now owns a race car r32 and r35 :)

Edited by Marko R1

I've owned both and there's no comparison apart from they've both got turbos.

A car cannot be judged as better than another by its one acomplishment or strengh whether the measurement is 0-400m, or top speed, but by the vehicle itself, and what it can accomplish as a whole, the aurora created, the engineering behind it, the feeling you get when you turn the ignition, or these days push the button.

they're both great cars by their merits, but still no comparison to each other, apples for apples.

Ultimately what governs one car to be better than the other is the price, because with it comes a level of refinement superior to its lessor. As is a GT-R's superiority to a F6, a 458 is superior to a GT-R, and a Bugatti superior to a 458

Great post Brian

I've driven both, (F6 & R35) not owned both though. Interested in your opinion on which car is better, on a purely 'value for money' comparison for street use only. A new F6 for 55K approx or a new R35 at 170k approx. Certainly agree with you about the ZF, it's no DSG but it's probably one of the best non DSG trannys around.

Value for money is very subjective. It depends on how much money available to spend.

In terms of “dream” cars, you aspire to own a GTR you don’t aspire to own a F6.

One is a very good taxi built on a platform for the masses, the other a purpose built sports car with awd.

My highly modified BF ZF F6 is my daily driver. It is comfortable with plenty of space. GTR is my special treat to myself, and not something I drive down to the shops or drive every day. I suspect maybe GTR owners have another vehicle.

I can go into my wine cellar with around 80 dozen bottles. I could say chose between a good 3 year old bottle that may have cost $20, or a ’98 St Hugo.

An older excellent wine will be chosen for a special event; I never choose by asking myself which is the better value when making the choice.

You may do a value comparison if trying to choose between say a Ford F6 or GT, or GTS Commodore, similar type cars.

You don’t generally try to a comparison between such widely differing cars.

Back on topic…..

Thanks Brian!

We are currently have on order and are building over half a dozen WR600 packages for clients around Australia, so certainly the allround credentials of this combination are starting to get noticed :)

You should get credit, because I think you are the only shop in Australia offering upgrade packages, and backed up by proper track testing.

Probably my only reservation is having to drop the engine to change turbos.

Are you using, or tried a billet compressor on your turbos?

Ref http://www.willallracing.com.au/wr450.htm shows WR600

Your web site indicates that WR600 includes upgraded rods & pistons.

Any reason why you do the pistons, as I understand that the rods will be first to go.

From what I’ve read on U.K & U.S forums, around 450awkw seems to be about the power level where you look at engine strengthening, although in reality I think it is about controlling the amount of mid-range torque (as per what I see with Kev’s tune).

Many of the guys running higher power are using E85, which appears to be far more rod & piston friendly.

Brian

I don't know about 'aspiring' to own an R35, sounds a bit dramatic, but yes I certainly would like to own one. I thought the whole idea of the GT-R is that it is a supercar you can drive anytime, everywhere, everyday. Certainly If I do buy one i'll be driving it like I stole it every chance I get. Although in saying that i'd probably spend more time doing serious damage in your wine cellar then in the R35! :woot:

I thought the whole idea of the GT-R is that it is a supercar you can drive anytime, everywhere, everyday. :woot:

Well you can if that’s what you want to do. I choose to avoid shopping centres.

Boot space is excellent, but you wont fit 4 sets of golf clubs.

There are guys o/s that have young children, and have infants car seats in them.

I have had my 80+ year old parents in the back of my R35, although I think they prefer the comfort of my F6!

Certainly If I do buy one i'll be driving it like I stole it every chance I get.

And lose your licence quickly.

Brian

I don't know about 'aspiring' to own an R35, sounds a bit dramatic, but yes I certainly would like to own one. I thought the whole idea of the GT-R is that it is a supercar you can drive anytime, everywhere, everyday. Certainly If I do buy one i'll be driving it like I stole it every chance I get. Although in saying that i'd probably spend more time doing serious damage in your wine cellar then in the R35! :woot:

I have 2 kids seats in the back and there are ISO Fix points everywhere to accommodate the little monsters. Unfortunately anyone over 5'6" will struggle with head room in the back, but at least there's plenty of room for the kids - I wasn't allowed to get the phantom grey bat mobile Lotus Exige S 260 because of the lack of rear seats - so the GT-R does nicely.

GT-R OZ, ironic name - yet you don't have one. If you do manage to buy one, however, you'll never regret it

Edited by Wardski

Hey Martin,

Just read your article in the latest 'GTR' branded publication of wheels (I think)?

Comparison of the 32 vs the 35 & their "spooky" similarities / DNA.

...so the 32 seats "cream" the 35 seats which isn't bad for a 20 yr old car!

Oh and the R35 is just a Datsun I'm afraid! A very very good one though! Just accept cars for what they are and what they can do no matter how old they are or what they cost! Certainly some R35 owners out there who are just a little bit precious i think! Clarkson had a Lancer on Top Gear, bought it 2nd hand for £4k for one of their challenges, 0 to 100kph in 3.5 seconds and handled like a dream! Great car! Lol I don't know what's easier, reeling you blokes in or fishing for trout down at my local! :)

It is a Renault not a Datsun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i have heard and seen what happens with a flash tune and boost up with a f6 and they start breaking input shafts and tailshafts and well any of the shafts..

ps just orderd a syvecs s12 for my 32 with vq35hr.. :)

yes it will be nice, making a water to air intercooler built into the manifold (one per bank)

it will be rwd. weight saving is to hard to ignor.

but the plan is to eventualy fit a albins st6 transaxle in the back.

just finished moving with a nice long lease so now i can start it. (didnt want to have the thing pulled to bits up opn stands and the have to move lol..)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...