SAU Community

Faq: R33 Gts (Non Turbo) 4 - 5 Stud Conversion

DarkRyda

!!!Caution/Achtung/Attenzione!!!

Follow this guide at your own risk. You have been warned. We are not responsible for any actions you take. The information contained below is a guide and should be acted upon with consultation from your local mechanic. If you are unsure or are not confident don't do it.

I recently upgraded by brakes on my R33 GTS and as this is a very frequently asked question i thought i was post up the process of what is exactly needed in order to complete the conversion along with a price breakdown.

Required Parts:

- R33 GTS-T front and rear Hubs

- R33 GTS-T front and rear Knuckles

- R33 GTS-T front and rear Brake Calipers

- R33 GTS-T front and rear Rotors

- R33 GTS-T front and rear Brake lines

- Four 5x114.3 rims

Total: $450-800 (Excludes Rims)

The total price depends on where you buy your parts from and what aftermarket parts you choose to put. I would suggest looking at the sale section regularly and buying from an SAU member, particularly anyone who is wrecking there car, you can pick up some great bargains if your patient.

Parts NOT required:

- Hand brake lines

- Brake master cylinder

- M12x1.25 Bolts (GTS / GTS-T studs use the same size lug nuts)

Optional parts:

- RDA, DBA etc... Slotted Rotors

- Nismo, APP, HEL etc... ADR approved braided brake lines

- QFM, Bendix, Project Mu, Endless etc... Brake Pads

Notes:

- I would recommend changing the brake lines to braided ones as your old GTS/GTST ones are 10+ years old and should be changed anyway they cost between $120-300 for a set depending on which brand you are looking at purchasing.

- You can use S1 non-ABS or S2 ABS brakes on a S1 R33. If using S2 parts just simply cover the ABS feed from the back of the caliper and just connect the brake lines.

- S2 R33 i would recommend getting S2 brake parts as your car most likely came factory with an ABS unit so you will be able to connect the ABS lines to the brakes. The S1/1.5 does not come with factory ABS brakes (unless ordered by the Japanese owner as a factory option) therefore you wont be able to connect the ABS lines to your brakes if you purchase S1/1.5 parts.

- I would strongly recommend getting your brakes installed by a professional mechanic as it is not an easy job and you have to know what your doing. if you are automotive savvy and have the correct tools and time then go for it. Be aware anything attempted on your car is at your own risk.

- Your rotors might need machining

- Calipers might need new seals etc... depending on how long they have not been in use for.

- If you are on a budget you can buy the front and rear R33 hubs, re-drill the standard GTS rotors and use your NA brakes. This will allow you to use 5 stud rims with no braking improvements.

Price Breakdown:

Brake Parts Total: $450-800

Rims: $200-5000 (depending on if you want to run stockies or volk/rays wheels)

Professional Installation: $450

The total installation process normally takes around 4-5 hours by a mechanic its not an easy job.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...