SAU Community

Our New Dr30. Our Old Prince Skyline Gt

clubracer

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Thought I should drop by and say hi. I have been meaning to for a while but I was waiting for the new ride to be confirmed.

My brother and I have just bought ourselves a DR30 Skyline RSX with the sole intention of racing it and using it as a tool to promote my little online motorsport business AUTOsports Australia.

Some of you might know this car already so if there is anyone that can give us any information on it that would be greatly apppreciated. As we have also never modified one of these any advice woulld be greatly appreciated. We are planning to run the car in Improved Production because we really want to be competitive and keep the car as close the Group A looking as we can! Maybe one day when we have money to blow we'll go and do something crazy in Time Attack with a different car...

On a different note we also have a Prince Skyline GT (my fathers) that is built for group Nb historics. New engine has been a nightmare so hasn't been on track for a number of years but should hopefullly see the track again in 2012.

Back to the DR30. We're going to source S13 uprights and front hubs, plus LCA's so we can run lots of camber and then also run S13 spec coilovers (which I have read about on here) and front brakes although will probably have to get some custom rear brakes done. Any thoughts on this?

ANyway enjoy the pics. Will get more up here soon.

Cheers

Improved Production?

Will CAMS allow S13 front suspension in this class and if they do remember if you have just 1 ROSE JOINT it will send you to sports sedan, no pass go, no collect 200, straight to sports sedan where the big bangers live.

Cheers, D

OH! And if you want to build a motor, I have a bored block, forged pistons, spool rods, reco'ed head, 14mm O'Ring fuel rail, 550cc injectors (new) W series Celica/Supra gearbox with FJ front housing, new clutch, etc etc etc.

Drop me a pm if your interested?

Cheers, D

• 2 weeks later...

dont change to s13!!!!! sorry to be blunt but iv been there and done that and s13 knuckles have bad bumpsteer issuses but worse the "tow in on turns" is wrong it completely ruins the front end geomitry they only way i could see to fix it would be to cut and shut the s13 knuckles (like the drifters do) to match the shape of the dr

its my 2cents only but if you want a dr30 to be a good race car i believe its better to use z31 inserts cutdown mcphersons and weld on strut sleves retaining the cars original geomitry

• 1 month later...

Running 2 businesses and tried to build a race car is hard.... so I've enlisted the help of a great young bloke at UTS who has started to help me. So the project had been paused while I was working out how to work less at the end of last year, but in the last 2 weeks I've found a complete dry sump setup (off a DR30 so it will bolt in). I have also purchased a Painless Wiring kit - which will be painful, but I can't afford to have it done professionally so this is my next best option. I've also completely stripped the car of all the unnecessary parts (air con, headlight washers etc) and next week we'll be laying out the new wiring.

Before Christmas I also purchased some coilovers, steering wheel, seat, harness, seat mounts as well as a heap of heat shielding stuff (DEI Reflect-a-gold, exhaust wrap etc)

Happy days!

ergo2.jpg

coilovers.jpg

loom.jpg

outed-parts-2.jpg

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since an update... I've been busy re-wriring... The new loom weighs about 1/10th of the old one and I'm using some nice military connectors so that any engine bay wiring can be disconnected at the firewall (whether for an engine change or whatever).

I managed to get the seat mounted really nicely on the factory runners but when I sat in it and my knees were hard up against the smaller than standard steering wheel and my head was almost touching the roof I thought this is not good. So I've got in touch with a young fabricator who is currently fabbing up a custom set-up that will be welded into place through a cut floor. We reckon we should be able to mount the seat at least 100mm lower than it was, which it really needs to be considering the height my head will be with a helmet on and wanting to keep the main hoop of the cage as low as possible.

Thanks to changes to the Improved Production rules I can now run the cage to the strut towers. The bad news is that the dry sump tank which sat behind the strut tower will now be put aside and a Petterson tank added in the boot. I might just modify the existing dry sump tank to become the overflow.

I've also been busy with some carbon sheet and epoxy resin making up dashboard and switch panel bits and pieces... which are now finished and ready to be fitted along with all the switch gear and cutout.

The seat will be mounted next weekend and then after that the cage will start... so much has been waiting on the cage. Can't put the dash in until the cage is in so I can cut it up to fit. Can't flock the dash until the dash is cut. Can't finalise the wiring until the dash is fitted.

It never ends, but we're making progress... slowly.

military-connectors.jpg

wiring-layout.jpg

instrument-panel.jpg

cutout.jpg

dash-swicth-panel.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finally got the seat mounts done. Been a while coming but can now finally start on the cage as it really determines when the main roll hoop will be.

Also discovered an issue with the rear coilovers. As the coilovers run external canisters and the canisters are in a fixed position relative to the bottom mount, they stick out to where ther wheel should be. Can't even mount up a standard wheel. Not to worry I have spoken to a machinist and we're going to machine another bit out of the bottom mount and rotate the canister about 120 degrees so it faces as far around as possible.

As a side note I will be designing and manufacturing bump steer correction kits for 30 and 31 Skylines who want to run S13 front uprights. So much easier to run S134 stuff than to find DR30 coilovers! Unless you've got the $$ to do custom stuff.

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

rear-coilover-issue.jpg

I might mention, being able to cut the floor has meant we can mount the seat about 12cm lower. Using the standard mounts and the seat as low as it could go, my helmet was touching the roof. Now I can just see over the dash. Perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

And here's the new livery we'll be running. Still a while off yet but the new wheels arrive next week.

Also ran into some issues designing up the new rear brakes, nothing we cant overcome but another set back nonetheless. A little machining here and there and some new caliper mounts and we'll be fine.

post-93639-0-25489800-1379986770_thumb.jpg

post-93639-0-46169200-1379986816_thumb.jpg